Anyone Heard of This???

wow, would be nice if CS can confirm/debunk this. this looks very refreshing from their usual black/black or black/silver combo.

I know Cold Steel has produced difference colors (green) of G10 for some of the online knife companies. Whether this one is legit or not I do not know as it does not even say Cold Steel on the blade, but that may be done on purpose.
I wish CS would start offering colors other than black and get rid of those black blades. If they want to coat them, pick another color so the knives do not look like a mall ninja cheap chinese junk. They make great knives, but that black tactical look is really too much.

I know Cold Steel has produced difference colors (green) of G10 for some of the online knife companies. Whether this one is legit or not I do not know as it does not even say Cold Steel on the blade, but that may be done on purpose.
I wish CS would start offering colors other than black and get rid of those black blades. If they want to coat them, pick another color so the knives do not look like a mall ninja cheap chinese junk. They make great knives, but that black tactical look is really too much.

Yeap I hate the black painted/powder coated blades..Looks like hell once there is some use and wear.If there is to be coated blades,a color I'd like it would be a light to medium gray,titanium or foliage green etc..I honestly just like the plain stone washed finish better than anything else.

People throw around mall ninja far too much these days...

Yeap I hate the black painted/powder coated blades..Looks like hell once there is some use and wear.If there is to be coated blades,a color I'd like it would be a light to medium gray,titanium or foliage green etc..I honestly just like the plain stone washed finish better than anything else.

To both comments regarding color options...If it bugs you that much then have the coating stripped if you have it that much or send it to a knife pimper....same with the G10 scales...knife pimper or make your own micarta/Crashcarta scales, youtube has the tutorials....the other option here is to buy another brand that you do like and maybe cold steel will respond by adding the variety due to loss of sales

If they were grey people would complain that they stuck out to much in black dress pants or that they don't go with their manny fanny pack...

BUT...........to the OP I've seen cold steel in stores and online and haven't seen the non-labelled blade before or that style of clip. But I also don't follow CS as much as some
just my .02 cents

I personally like the new DLC coating, nothing wrong with that IMO. I'm not sure why black coated blade gets associated with "mall ninja" so much. I'd choose a black coated blade(durable one, not the old crappy teflon coating) over other finishes. I just like the science behind the coating, especially the DLC. it's appealing to me that way. Also seeing the coating gets worn out overtime with use & sharpening bring satisfaction IMO.

The pic looks like a photoshop job. Of course, that doesn't mean CS isn't coming out with such a knife (I have no idea one way or the other). I agree it would be nice to have some color variety in the CS line, though. :thumbup:

People throw around mall ninja far too much these days...

To both comments regarding color options...If it bugs you that much then have the coating stripped if you have it that much or send it to a knife pimper....same with the G10 scales...knife pimper or make your own micarta/Crashcarta scales, youtube has the tutorials....the other option here is to buy another brand that you do like and maybe cold steel will respond by adding the variety due to loss of sales

If they were grey people would complain that they stuck out to much in black dress pants or that they don't go with their manny fanny pack...

BUT...........to the OP I've seen cold steel in stores and online and haven't seen the non-labelled blade before or that style of clip. But I also don't follow CS as much as some
just my .02 cents

Maybe I should explain.You don't have to remove the blade coatings,it removes itself even in moderate use and what reamins is a spotty smeared mess that embeds crap, making cleaning more difficult..What remains of the coating I do strip it off the blade by the way.But that is why some folks complain about it.

Otherwise I don't,and wouldn't, own a "pimped" knife,they are tools to me,and used as such,but do prefer my blades to look and clean up better than the bit on the well used camp axe or machete(only cutting tools that should ever be painted initially IMHO).

Like I said I'd rather have the stonewashed finish on all knife blades personally.Im not tacticool enough to have to worry about reflecting light off bare metal blades etc. and I maintain my knives well enough to not worry about corrosion,so I don't need painted/coated blades.And that goes for all knife brands,not picking on Cold Steel.

So I change my vote for all stonewashed blades.:)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, now I remember that Blade HQ has a picture up of an upcoming Lawman with green G-10 and DLC. CS is using DLC now - so the fast wearing blade coating that many have experienced shouldn't be an issue anymore. The Amazon photo does look like a photoshop but my guess is that the model is real.

Maybe I should explain.You don't have to remove the blade coatings,it removes itself even in moderate use and what reamins is a spotty smeared mess that embeds crap, making cleaning more difficult..What remains of the coating I do strip it off the blade by the way.But that is why some folks complain about it.

Otherwise I don't,and wouldn't, own a "pimped" knife,they are tools to me,and used as such,but do prefer my blades to look and clean up better than the bit on the well used camp axe or machete(only cutting tools that should ever be painted initially IMHO).

Like I said I'd rather have the stonewashed finish on all knife blades personally.Im not tacticool enough to have to worry about reflecting light off bare metal blades etc. and I maintain my knives well enough to not worry about corrosion,so I don't need painted/coated blades.And that goes for all knife brands,not picking on Cold Steel.

So I change my vote for all stonewashed blades.:)

While I get what you are saying about the coating I think you've exaggerated a bit.
I have a mini recon I bought 3 years ago and it just looks like I used it reasonably not like the coating melted halfway off.

This is it fairly new with just breaking down boxes

Here is a photo I took 2min ago after 3 years of regular edc including sharpening pencils a few dozen times and me using it to whittle off about a diagonal 1/4' by 3/4' section on a wood board.

Last edited:
Pictures are of the old blade coating. The new DLC coating on 2015 models is very, very wear resistant.

That looks like our art mock-up (the actual knife will have a blade etch etc.)
This knife is being released in a super limited run to certain dealers.

I hear rumors of other models being released in limited color runs too

That looks like our art mock-up (the actual knife will have a blade etch etc.)
This knife is being released in a super limited run to certain dealers.

I hear rumors of other models being released in limited color runs too

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Any hint of when and where wilk those beauties be available? !?
Please, the Hold Out series have always been my favorite cold steel knives . I am carrying two of them on me right now.

I don't have any release dates yet, but I'm expecting to see several large shipments of new items released within the next 6 weeks
As always, I'll post updates in the sub-forum as I know more
Thanks!

I got my new Hold Out 2 in the mail today. It's very nice. Made a quick vid.
[youtube]OObah2NVuUE[/youtube]

Back