Anyone here ever have cataracts removed?

My wife and I had our yearly exam last week and the cataract in my left eye has gotten bad enough that it needs to be removed and the right one may be ready by June-September.

Our ophthalmologist said that after surgery I wouldn't need my glasses for distance in that eye anymore. So after both eyes are done I may just need clear lens in the top portion.:D
I didn't think to ask him at the time if I would still need my trifocals or if I could get by with bifocals.
So has anyone had this surgery and if so would you be so kind as to tell me your experience with it and afterwards; along with any improvement you have had in your sight?

I, of course, use my bifocal's for general reading and I use my trifocal's for reading my monitor and I'm wondering if the improvement will be enough to just have bifocals?
I have to admit that I'm a little anxious about it.;)

my mother did and while she was totally dependant on glaases prior to the surgery she needs tem very little now, so yes there is an effect, how much and what type varies.

My dad At 94 is not yet readdy for this sugery; his bookkeeper who is 78 has had it done and is doing very well. Mother's boyfriend can see for the first time in 60 years since having it.My grandmother failed to get timely sugery and was blind for many years. My other grandmother had it done aand was very happy with it.
My guess is if you need it get a good surgeon,do 1 eye first ;to be sure it will be a good out come. Alan

My mother had this done at age 82--one eye, then the other a couple of months later. Result---no need for glasses for distance--just for reading.

The procedure was easy and non-traumatic and the results excellent.

Good luck! :)

I have cataracts in both eyes, and surgery is on the horizon. probably soon. I see an optomotrist Friday, but expect to go to see an opthamologist soon after that.
My sister had the surgery and can now see fine.
It is important to get a surgeon who does lots of the procedures, and uses the latest small incision method. Complications are much ,ptr gtrwirmy with the older surgical techniques, but pretty low frequency with the new ones.

My Mother has had both eyes done. Her recovery was slow - it took several months for peak eye sight recovery but in the end she was very happy with the results. It's outpatient surgery now - piece of cake as far as surgery goes.

Thanks fellows! That's reassuring.:)
We have a wonderful opthalmologist who is up on the latest techniques and it will be an outpatient surgery, no driving for 24 hours but that's no biggie.
It will seem strange not having to wear glasses for distance; maybe I can get back to shooting like I did when I was younger.:D

Yvsa said:
maybe I can get back to shooting like I did when I was younger.:D

Best of luck,Yvsa. I have shooting issues too - when I look down a long gun barrel I look over the top of the lense grind on my glasses - not optimal correction there:grumpy:. I think contact lenses would help me immensely.

You will be ready for the bow again Edutsi...we can do some shooting on my next visit!

Had my right eye done at age 52. No problems at all. I use reading glasses.
Left eye was done two weeks ago. Slight problem. Keep seeing a "ghost image" on the left side of my vision.
Turns out the implant has shifted. According the head doc, this does happen, but it is rare. He told me about another patient that had a shift 7 years after the surgery.
Any way, getting the problem fixed on the 22nd.
First they will turn the implant 90 degrees, if that dosen't solve the problem, they will put in a new one.

Aside from the ghost image, my distant vision is 20/20 in the left eye, still have to use reading glasses though.
The first surgery was video taped. Interesting to watch although some folks have walked out about half way through.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Navajo! :D Do you have to use the reading glasses for the computer monitor?
I'm wondering about arms length vision such as the monitor or the speedometer and other gauges in the car?

Back