Anyone know about Butterfly (Balisong) knive restriction laws in the UK?

My understanding is that ANY locking blade needs an express valid use (work, hunting,..) to be legal in the UK. technically, does a balisong have a "lock"?

Of course, they may be explicitly forbidden too.

Thanks for the reply! :)

I understand that lock knife blades (and most others) are legal (without reason) in the UK as long as...

1) They are NOT carryed on your person (outside, around, etc) unless for a very good reason (self defence is not one of them).

2) The blade is under (something like) 3 inches.

3) Its not banned or easly concealable/quick-to-open-knife, such as an automatic knife or the Balisong Butterfly knife :rolleyes:

I think the Balisong is just plain outright banned altogether here :(

But I need someone to say "Yup, thats right! I'm afraid.." or someone to confirm the accuracy of above statements (I'm only hearing these though other people so they might not be accurate at all!). Perferbly just restrictions about the Balisong - because I kind of break all them, I carry a Balisong (for self defence) and the blade length is 4 inches :(

Hi Angel,

Balisongs have been prescribed weapons (illegal to import, sell, own, store, look at etc) since the mid-80's. Even if you bought one before the restrictions came into place, they are now illegal to own at all.

Sorry!!

And please give my regards to Buffy.

Bill

Well thats a damn shame.... :(

I was just wanting to be aware of the current laws although I can't say its going to stop me owning or carrying one in the UK. I've got a fetish with these Knives :p

Back