Anyone know about J.C. Higgins knives? i think i have a odd one...pics inside

hello all! this is my first post as i am new to this forum, so be easy on me lol. i am a avid J.C.Higgins collector from their guns and knives to their camping and sporting goods. i recently got as a birthday gift a odd smaller than usual straight blade knife that has really nice walnut handles, and that leads me to my question. i know that the early Higgins knives we're made by Western and the later ones made by Schrade Walden. But to my knowledge they all had leather wrapped handles, with the early Western ones being split by the tang of the blade both top and bottom. this one is split like the old western style but with wood instead leather. any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!

KGrHqNHJE4EVBsQh7cBQV2-CqsEg60_57.jpg

KGrHqNpMF4HFKKjBQV2-WCQ60_57.jpg

T2eC16VHJGIE9nnWqr5oBQV2-KQbQw60_571.jpg

G'day Zavala, and welcome to where Schradaholics hang out...we just dont have to attend meetings......that looks most unlike any Schrade Fixed blade I have seen particularly with that lack of bolser or cross guard, however very similar in design as you state to early 'Western' fixed blades with that distinctive pommel and handle pins...and their sheaths were also that style...
I have bumped up a thread on the J.C. Higgins Schrade Walden Frogman's Defender knives which did not have leather handles that you refer to...you may find interesting since you like J.C. Higgins Sears branding knives etc....hoo Roo

well i know the sheath isn't original, it's like a boot knife sheath. i have 7 J.C. Higgins knives but they all have leather wrapped handles, and i though this one may have been one of the smaller knives that someone just changed out the grips but it's not. it's smaller that the small leather wrapped one that i have, almost like a kids or small boys knife. and i have seen the the frogmans knife and a Gaff knife i saw in another thread, they both look awesome!! but from what i've read on here the frogmans knife goes for BIG $$$

Can you tell me what the blade length on it is? It looks like the original knife might have been modified at some point in the past.

Quick edit: I managed to hunt down a similar knife and I think this is what you have though slightly modified. I do know that this particular knife was likely made by Western. I don't have an exact model number etc for you though.

1191085404-IMG_2096.JPG

Last edited:
see i thought that too but the blade length is only 3 1/2 inches. and the small leather handled one that i have that has the exact same blade style has a 4 1/2 inch blade. this is the only guide i know for the higgins knives and it doesn't even have all of them on it. the grips are right and tight and doesn't look like it's been messed with
2u88av5.jpg

There should be a pat. no. stamped on the blade. If it's there that would make getting a positive ID on this knife fairly easy. By the way, is the following photo about the right size for your knife?

dF54T.jpg

man there are but they are so small i can't even make them out with a magnifying glass LOL

There is absolutely no question in my mind that your knife at least started life in the WESTERN factory in Boulder, Colorado, with a #48 pattern blade, in the more rare non-fullered version. After that, I have no idea who modified it, WESTERN or a private party. The blade has been shortened by approximately an inch. The handles are very nicely executed. It is only an educated (I have seen thousands of WESTERN knives) guess, but I believe this is a private custom alteration. By the way, Western made a lot of knives for Sears, and many of them were in bone or stag, not just stacked leather washer handles. The patented construction, applied for in 1931 and granted in 1934, is an excellent design, and the steel in these knives is great as well. Just my opinion. The patent # is 1967479.

I would agree that is most likely a modern rehandle of an older leather ring or plastic handled knife (with guard ommited). Most of the J.C. Higgins branded knives were suppied by Western circa 1948-1961. Your blade length measurement may have been different with the original handle and guard.

A 4 1/2" knife with that pattern blade was offered in 1946 having a leather handle, #698.
Molded plastic handles appeared in 1948 and were specificly identified with the Higgins trade name for the first time.
In 1949 they were offered in three lengths in that pattern, 3 3/4", 4 3/8" and 4 1/2". Likewise in 1950.

Now understand that not every hunting or pocketknife appeared in the Sears catalogs. A good number of patterns were sold via in-store sales only. In our modern terms, the knife would be called a "bird and trout pattern". Sears usually only described them as "Hunting knives" or "Sheath knives" in a general description and then listed several sizes and unnamed different patterns.

Can you tell me what the blade length on it is? It looks like the original knife might have been modified at some point in the past.

Quick edit: I managed to hunt down a similar knife and I think this is what you have though slightly modified. I do know that this particular knife was likely made by Western. I don't have an exact model number etc for you though.

1191085404-IMG_2096.JPG

see i thought this too!! i have that exact same knife too with black leather instead of brown. and the wooden handled knife is still smaller that that. the pictures are not sized right, it is much much smaller than it appears. well custom or not i still this it's awesome. it's measure right at 7 inches, with a blade length of 3 and 1/2

Here's a JC Higgins I have. I think it was decided it was probably a Western...

jchiggins001.jpg

Gee my first post is commenting on yours....LOL

I do have one I'll post a picture of shortly with the 3 1/2 inch blade.

I'd also have some questions on cleaning the leather on it.
This knife was my fathers and I'm passing it now to my son

not a good picture but here it is

IMG_0341_zps084a856f-1_zpsbc2e00cd.jpg

Last edited:
With a poster asking about a JC Higgins 3 1/2 inch knife.....yes/no

Yes, the original post was a question about a WESTERN knife, which we have addressed more than sufficiently. 16 posts later, it is time to get back to the original purpose of this forum, with all due respect.

look man as you know the Higgins knives we're made by both WESTERN and later by SCHRADE-WALDEN. and Schrade used ALOT of the same knife blade shapes when they switched. it was just a question. don't get your panties in a bunch dude, it's christmas

I think it was directed more towards me than you.
I did see that a 3 1/2 inch blade may not be common so I posted one.
Nice looking knife you have BTW

They were the standard issue on all WW2 Higgins boat survival kits. The scabbard was usable as an emergency paddle and was also edible.

Back