Anyone know what handle scales are on this Ratmandu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepin

Gold Member
23DD784C-699B-4F21-B7A9-0CD98A9EC931.jpeg D2798085-FB7F-4E54-96A2-19A1DBF9140D.jpeg

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the color and type of micarta these handle scales are called?

I would say green

black ratweiler on top, green ratmandu on bottom
Cw1PZisl.jpg

Hey Jeepin, I would agree with BE and add that I think they're canvas. Beautiful blades. Classics!

AH yes, I forget there are other types sometimes. Very much canvas. Paper is a lot shinier usually and burlap shows the lines of the material significantly.

That’s good to know they are canvas. For some reason they don’t really look green to me.

I have a thread about the green micarta thinking it was tan instead of green and some type of mistake occurred when I ordered it. Turns out the green looks a light but darkens with use or oil and is supposed to look more green as it ages. The tan is much lighter. Micarta just has a bit of color variation.

Black canvas is my guess based on the striations. A light coat of mineral oil or similar should quickly reveal the actual color.

Thanks for the help everyone.

It should be arriving tomorrow. I’m not sure I’m gonna like the tan blade.
I was really hoping to find a tanker grey one but had no luck so I jumped on this one.

Yeah, possible, but I've had great luck with all of my strippers. I suspect the bad grinding marks are less likely the smaller the blade is, but that's just a hunch.

Gratuitous pics:

96miw6.jpg

25f59o0.jpg

I like the sage coating, from an aesthetic standpoint. Can't comment on how it wears, though - haven't worn out my user RMD, so no reason to knock the new off another, and I sold most of the other things I got in sage because they didn't click with me.

I know But I’m afraid I will find a bunch of deep grinding marks underneath :-(
I stripped a Ratmandu not all that long ago that had inclusions on both sides. They were so deep the only way to get rid of them would of been to grind them out. Did they affect the useage of that fantastic knife? Heck no.
My Infiweiler came out beautiful after she was stripped down. I sent her to @91bravo who sanded her down a tad and improved the edge. Now if I could just get out and use her.

for comparison - black on grey vs black on sage
dnF4IFS.jpg

If you don't like the sage coating, I might know of a guy that would trade for a black on grey...
KuFAn2W.jpg

(but I'd opt against stripping this one - there are obvious marks under the coating)

I wonder if I send it back to replace that rivet if they could also realign the scales and maybe change the coating to a grey?

I'm sure to shop would take care of you on the rivet, but iirc Jerry said Tanker was discontinued because their supplier stopped offering it. Think it's been gone for over a year now.

Here's my only sage blade, it got the two-tone treatment when I reground the primary:

2ln8r48.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back