Anyone make a 1 gallon hydration bladder?

The largest hydration bladders I've found are 3 liters or 100 ounces. Does anybody make a bigger one?

I'm trying to come up with a better solution for work. We've been cutting locust trees out of the pastures for 3 weeks now, and it's so hot I've been drinking a gallon of water by 10 a.m. I keep getting dehydrated (which only takes 45 min) because my big water jug gets left behind as I work my way further out, and the chainsaw and other gear is enough to carry. I have a 1L bottle on a carrying strap, so I started bringing that along so I could keep drinking. But it runs empty super quick, and I either have to walk back and refill it, or before I know it I'm overheated and weak again.

So, I'm thinking about switching to a hydration pack instead, since it would be easier to carry along and sip constantly. But it needs to hold enough water to keep me going. If no one makes bigger bladders, I may have to try bringing two, but I'd also need 2 drinking hoses then, because I don't want to change the tube after my hands are covered in grease, gas, and stump killer.

Aqua source 20L is probably overkill, but certainly bigger than 3L. I prefer the source brand bladders for the lack of funky plastic taste for the most part.

MSR Dromy bags come in a range of sizes, I'd recommend the black dromedary bags as they are the tougher ones. they then make a drinking tube that fits onto the cap. the biggest one they make is 10L

Reactions: JV3
I have a 3 litre big zip and when I need more water I have an MSR 1.5 litre waterbag that can stand up and has a cap.....I prefer this vs a bigger bladder because if your chugging water due to heat and exertion you can run out as its hard to Guage consumption when you have the bladder locked away in the pack.
This way if I do I can then budget the 1,5 litre poured into the bladder carefully to get me back out!
If your worried about dirty hands everyone should have a few pairs of nitrile gloves for first aid and a myriad of other uses....easier than 2 drinking hoses

I'll second the MSR Dromidary bags. I've had my 10L for over a decade, used it hard, and it's still going strong!

Another option is a hydration lumbar bag. Smaller than a full camelback but you can carry another liter or two. Osprey and platypus both make them. I have an old one that holds two bicycle water bottles and it doesnt heat me up like a backpack (from insulating my back, i suppose)

Putting all the eggs in a single basket is not ideal. I think you would be better off with two smaller (3l if you feel the need) bladders. If somehow you puncture one, you will loose only half or your water....

I have no idea about how hot and humid it is, and I also have no idea about the time you guys start working but... a galon by 10:00 is a LOT of water. Is there any way you could minimize heat exposure starting earlier, wearing less restrictive garments, etc? Could you wear one of those gadgets arround the neck that helps cooling off so you don't overheat that much?

Not judging, just asking.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I still have to check out those lumbar packs, but so far the MSR bags might be closest to what I was looking for. I must admit I didn't realize I'd have to spend upwards of $100 for a pack system that holds that much, just to replace my $5 water jug. Things on the farm have a tendency to get tore up pretty quickly.

I've decided to table this purchase for now, because shortly after posting, we all decided it's just too gawddamn hot for this BS! We're going to come back and finish the job in the winter!

As to some of the other queries, we do have extra water on the tractors. It's just inconvenient to walk back and get it when we're working. And I can't hardly drink fast enough to replace what I'm sweating out. I drank 2 gallons before lunch lotsa days (which is when we'd usually quit and find something less strenuous to do in the afternoons.) I don't know what the temperatures were officially, but it's like 95 percent humidity in those bottoms, with zero air movement. Imagine jumping in a pond, then drip dry for about 5 minutes. That's how wet I am by 8:30 every morning, and stay that way all day. Not exaggerating. Sweat drips off the bill of my ballcap it's so saturated.

Yeah, at that temp, you certainly are not able to absorb the water as fast as you can drink it, or sweat it. Some days its just not going to go well. From memory the average adult can absorb just under a liter of water per hour, and can sweat a max of three. An athlete can absorb up to one and a half, and sweats a little less (more system efficiency) But still its a net negative. If you are saturated then the cooler-gel bandanas don't help, because they are relying on evaporation. What you can do is keep a few of them in an ice-chest to cool off and use them as a thermal sink, but its not going to get you much. At that stage you are looking more at what race drivers and firefighters wear, the pre-chilled vests, but now you are creating more heat due to the weight you are carrying, and getting at most a couple hours.
I think you made the right call.

I used to work on a kill floor below the scalding tank and 40 feet from the car wash of flames to burn off the hogs hair!
The nurse used to bring me a 1.5 litre jug of iced Gatorade 3 times a day!,,...summer temp was a hot steamy 40 to 43 degrees Celsius at my tin roofed work area! Had to of been 80 percent humidity plus the frontal blast of the flames.
With all that fluid plus water I would way 3 to 5 pounds less than the morning,
I totally get it gadget!!!!

Hydrapak makes a 4 liter one (just over a gallon) that sells on amazon for $30. I have a few of them and they seemed to hold up well. Used but not abused

Back