Anyone messed with the AG Russell Funny Folder?

I have not seen one of AG's but I have seen the knife before and thought it was quite neat in it's look and the way it worked, they are very flat so should carry well in the pocket, I would compare the use and size of one of these to a SAK Companion or Classic but AG's has better materials.

The first pocket knife I ever owned (about 1955) was that basic design. I called it a "flip-flop knife". You flip (or pivot) the blade and a sheet metal cover out of the center then flop (or rotate) the sheet metal sleeve sideways to secure the blade in the open position. It's fairly solid for a little knife.

I found my knife when I was about 6 while walking to school. It saved my ass when I was about 9. A friend and I got stuck in an excavation out in the desert. I used that little knife to dig a ladder into the side of the hole we were in to climb out. Someone would have come looking for us eventually, but when you are stuck with no shade out in the desert on a hot afternoon it means a lot to get out of a pit.

I have a 50 year old varient that I got at an antique store. I'll probably spring for one of AG's.

I have a fairly large folder of the same design branded Smith and Wesson. It's probably 25 years old. I had a small one branded pioneer corn but I lost it, probably the same 25 years ago.

NGK-Webmaster said:
I have not seen one of AG's but I have seen the knife before and thought it was quite neat in it's look and the way it worked, they are very flat so should carry well in the pocket, I would compare the use and size of one of these to a SAK Companion or Classic but AG's has better materials.
the Funny Folder would be thinner than the SAK's tho right?

Jeff Clark said:
The first pocket knife I ever owned (about 1955) was that basic design. I called it a "flip-flop knife". You flip (or pivot) the blade and a sheet metal cover out of the center then flop (or rotate) the sheet metal sleeve sideways to secure the blade in the open position. It's fairly solid for a little knife.

I found my knife when I was about 6 while walking to school. It saved my ass when I was about 9. A friend and I got stuck in an excavation out in the desert. I used that little knife to dig a ladder into the side of the hole we were in to climb out. Someone would have come looking for us eventually, but when you are stuck with no shade out in the desert on a hot afternoon it means a lot to get out of a pit.

I have a 50 year old varient that I got at an antique store. I'll probably spring for one of AG's.
haha, great story Jeff... whether waiting or digging, you've gotta be pretty damn patient! great innovation! haha, that's truly a first for me... never heard about a ladder being dug with a knife...

DaveH said:
I have a fairly large folder of the same design branded Smith and Wesson. It's probably 25 years old. I had a small one branded pioneer corn but I lost it, probably the same 25 years ago.
i need to brush up on my knife culturing... it seems everyone here has seen this design, and quite some time ago! but hey, i'm only 20 years old... i get a late pass, right?

I have an old advertising knife like this. I imagine I'll be picking one up.

Paul

Back