Anyone see AVP?

Just wondering if anyone saw Aliens vs. Predator yet? It will probably take a couple of weeks to start playing in my area, and wanted to know what you all thought.

This movie has got to be one of the all-time leaky bodily fluids flics ever. No, I haven't seen it, just read the NY Times' review. If we get a thorough review, I may have to move this to Whine & Cheese! :p

I saw it yesterday and I must say that I was very disappointed. All of the previous Aliens and Predators movies were rated 'R' and this one is rated PG-13, this should be taken as a warning to movie goers, less Alien and Predator action. The movie lacks character development, direction, and the punch it could have had. Not much of war at all, it falls far short of its potential. Stay home and rent Predator and Aliens instead.

Thanks for the warning! The Times didn't think much of it either, but then I knew they wouldn't :)

Now wait a second! PG-13! What the hell was they thinken?
Blood, gutts and severed limbs are mandatory!

Plus any movie with a Predator has to have the line, "Your one ugly mother F**cker!"
If that line is missing Im going to be ed! :mad:

From all reports I've heard/read, it's absolute sh!te. It takes place in Antarctica, and they get there when it's dark with a full moon out. Next morning it's bright sunlight. In Antarctica. Yep. It's also always blowing hard wind, yet snowflakes are falling straight down. Nobody's breath is ever visible. In Antarctica. Yep.

No Ripley. No governers. No plot. I'll save my $9.

MicMurry said:
Plus any movie with a Predator has to have the line, "Your one ugly mother F**cker!"

They actually did put that line in it. They dropped the f-bomb twice in it, however, the pg-13 rating is very disappointing. It means that children are going to be there, loud pre-pubescent children.

I thought it was decent, there are a couple things about that were very disappointing (I would say but of course it would probably spoil the movie). And the lack of blood and guts was bad.

I saw it last night.

there is some good to the film,,,but a huge amount of bad.

Good- the way the movie showed the P ships was cool, and we got to learn a little more about the P way of life...

Bad- the A are a joke...they are filmed so badly that they look like ants.

Good - the P are the stars and they could have carried the film on their own...the actors who played the 3 P were well cast and they handled the action well

Bad - bad human acting, very bad writeing...No point to the film in the end...

Good -.....er.....I'm out...

Bad - , the movie was little better than a Made for TV movie,,,,could have been shown on the Sci-fi CH and been great. However as this was to be the action movie of the summer, it has failed ..

I wish that the action would have been filmed not on earth, but in keeping with the other A films....could have built on the story of a Ripply or Nuet (clone?) and been a darn good movie.

Movie didnt use tha actors well at all,,,,the lead actor man was from the other 2 A movies and he was not used well at all,,,he had nothing to do or say that was important,,,

And this movie was too dark to see,,,every time something happens we have to guess due to it being in the shadows all the time.

I liked the idea of a Pyromid training area for the P to come to and test themselves against the A...but I thought that the way a few humans can mess up the whole thing kinda made the P look like that didnt think their training area out too well....

And the heart of the movie is the simple problem that the humans pick up that last gun that belonged to the P...and that results in the death of everyone?.....thats a poor area to train in,,,

Also,,,the Queen A is able to call her children to her,,,,now this seems like the most natural thing to do,,,and yet the P didnt seem to have any way to keep the smaller A away from their queen?....not even a door?

thats a very poor way to keep the Queen safe for thousands of years that you will need her to make eggs to fight....

also....there are two very important mess-ups in the film...

mess-up one,,,,the P has a mouth that has claws that seem to be designed great for killing the face-huggers,,,but that is not shown, and thats a shame...I also have always felt that the strange colored blood of the P from the other movies would be because the blood of the P is designed to fight off the effects of the acid blood of the A.....But this is not shown in the movie and again, this is a shame,,,

Mess-up 2.
The P are able to see inside bodies in this film,,,as they were able to look inside bodies in the 2nd P film,,,but for some reason no P notices that there is a baby A inside the P that is in the last shot?......

Thats just too much error to pass up...!

My dream AVP movie....

Neut Ripply, the child of the Ellen Ripply clone and a male A, (explanes the strange hug that Ellen gives the A in the last A movie).. is fighting A whereever she finds them untill she lands on a world where the P use them to hunt.

Neut Ripply lands on a the world and proves herself like the blond in Kill Bill, and single-handedly takes out hundreds of A while the invisable P watch.

The P think so highly of her, that they make her a teacher and thats leads to the next AVP film...

Ethelred said:
They actually did put that line in it. They dropped the f-bomb twice in it,

But they screwed it up! Its supposed to be said by someone looking into the unmasked face of a Predator.
Not by some black chick looking at an Alien! That by its self ruined the movie! :mad:

What? You say I'm getting too hung up on this?! Nonsense! :D

I got a freebie ticket with the new Predator special edition DVD (yay DTS soundtrack... scare small animals and neighbors!)
I'm gonna go see it tomorrow night, I'll give ya my two cents.

The Internet Movie Database www.imdb.com has it currently rated 5.5/10. In my experience, once movies drop much below 6.5 or so, they aren't worth seeing.

Of course, it's still not bad enough to be in the Bottom 100 Movies of All Time.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

From what I've heard, the AvP comic series had an excellent plot. Weyland-Yutani agents find an alien egg and gather it, bringing it back to Earth. All hell breaks loose, of course. Newt (little girl in Aliens) is a teen, and she hunts up ex-Cpl Hicks, who's now a washed-up shell-shocked kinda guy, and they start trying to fight the Aliens. Some Predators show up, and I think one of them joins up with Newt and Hicks. I've not read the comics, but this is what I remember of the basic plot. Of course, they completely screwed this by killing of Newt and Hicks in the beginning of Alien3. Damn you, David Fincher!!!!

MicMurry said:
But they screwed it up! Its supposed to be said by someone looking into the unmasked face of a Predator.
Not by some black chick looking at an Alien! That by its self ruined the movie! :mad:

Yeah, they did mess it up quite a bit. I there was a whole lot of the movie that I didn't like, but you do have to give them a bit of credit for sticking the line in the movie, even if she did say it to a alien.

Thanks for the replies guys, Being a fan of both series of movies, I'll see it regardless. I did just finish reading the novelization of the movie and it didn't sound too bad.

I did just finish reading the novelization of the movie and it didn't sound too bad.

It's not awful awful, but it was just a mediocre use of two of the greatest SF characters. Watching "Aliens" last night just reminded of how good a sequel could be..... :grumpy:

I must agree with John,,,"Aliens" was a great film,,,,there are so many parts to that movie that are well writen and well acted...

I liked the funny lines,,,"Smoking or non-smoking?"

I liked the part where the Queen goes after the little girl under the floor, and we see the arm of the queen reaching for her...

There are a parts of AVP where you can tell that , "With a different writer, different director, and slightly different casting, you could have made that part of the movie way better."

I just saw the movie KILL BILL II, and was let down by that too....."We wait the whole two films for her to catch and fight Bill, and we end it all in a "sit-down" fight with Mr Kung Fu?"

Who else thought it was bizarre that people were out in the open in the middle of an Antarctic storm, yet weren't breathing steam? Especially at the end, her breath isn't visible at all.

I can't nitpick much beyond that, since I've only seen "Predator", the first one.

Ash

Yeah Asha'man that was really stupid. After she tore off her coat near the end I half expexted he to lose her shirt too. :rolleyes:

Overall it was pretty stupid. No scratch that, I WAS really stupid! :mad:

Hope to catch this movie in the cinema, otherwise all the special effects will be lost.

Alien vs Predator, I believe, was a hit when it was in comics format! :cool:

From what we learned about the Aliens in the first two movies, we are to understand that they like the heat.

Remember the eggs in the first film were under some kind of laser beam that was keeping them warm,,,and in the 2nd movie we saw the Queen make her nest in the hottest part of the power plant.

MY GUESS:,,,remember in AVP how the company first learns about things by the way they heat shows up from space?...I believe that the Predator guys built this training area in a very cold place for a good reason: The Aliens need the heat and so they will stick around the base.

once the training is over, the base turns off and the Queen and the rest of the Aliens all stop due to the cold.

HOWEVER,,,in the Predator movies, we learn that the Predators only come to the earth when it's real real hot. thats why they liked to hunt in South America.

Remember how the Predator's have a hard time even seeing cold things?

THIS MEANS, that although we dont hear this in the movie, I just bet that the writer of the movie meant for us to understand that it was real real HOT inside the training area.

Back