Anyone seen this before

seas165

Gold Member
I got this knife and the sale details said the pen spring was weak. I bought it anyway with plans to remove the pen layer and make it a single blade. I thought for sure id find a cracked spring or a worn spring.....this is what i found.20191026_171503-600x800.jpg 20191026_172025-600x800.jpg 20191026_171640-600x800.jpg 20191026_171534-600x800.jpgthere was a slight gap in the spring and whoever had this knife must have only used the pen blade!! I thought you guys would like seeing this, i have never seen it! Have a good day. Also if anyone has a good source for handle pins, shoot me a private message.

While I haven't taken it apart I have a little Utica souvenir pen knife that the main blade is like that. Opens and closes like friction folder instead of a slipjoint. I think its from the tangs being left too soft, plus maybe the underside of the spring being rough and acting like a file.

I filed off the "Ears" then peened out the underside of the spring with a punch set, and got some spring and snap on a pruner, but I wouldn't call it "thunderous"!!. I since gave it away to a friend who was OK with it!! I found new pinstock at a big arts and crafts store, but had to spin it against some sandpaper a little .

While I haven't taken it apart I have a little Utica souvenir pen knife that the main blade is like that. Opens and closes like friction folder instead of a slipjoint. I think its from the tangs being left too soft, plus maybe the underside of the spring being rough and acting like a file.
and maybe some grit? I had a very old little boker that the tang wore kind of like that. but even wierder. the scales spread a bit and the tang wore where it hit the spring but it didnt hit the spring all the way across. it wore round, but it had a flange that rode next to the spring, driving the scales even further apart.

W W.M.B.
Could be grit as well,lack of lubrication as pointed out above. Or a combination of all the factors. The Utica I have also exhibits the "flanged" effect,but its a small knife so would be difficult to get a pic into the blade well.

My "flange" or Ear was from a loose blade not fully contacting the spring. It then wedged the liners apart even more as the flange grew!!:rolleyes: I honestly don't know how the previous owner could use it?? Nice view through the knife though!!:D
It must have been like driving on only 5 of 6 cylinders!!:eek:

and maybe some grit? I had a very old little boker that the tang wore kind of like that. but even wierder. the scales spread a bit and the tang wore where it hit the spring but it didnt hit the spring all the way across. it wore round, but it had a flange that rode next to the spring, driving the scales even further apart.
This is what was happening with this knife too

Back