Anyone Shoot a .450 Bushmaster?

Garth Reckner

I am just finishing up building an AR in 450 Bushmaster. Why? Because I don't have one and we can now use them in Ohio for deer season. I have never shot one and even though the build is done my ammo order doesn't arrive til Monday. Any of you familiar with the 450? I have heard that it has a bit of recoil but that came from a friend that thinks a .308 kicks too much so I am taking his statement with a grain of salt.

What is recoil actually like? Have you found a bullet weight that works better than others? Is it rough on optics? I see Leupold is making a 450 Bushmaster calibrated scope. May try one out even though I have yet to be impressed with caliber specific scopes. Not like deer season around here requires much of an optic as it is all short range (almost always under 150yards), so may go with some sort of red dot. What do you guys think?

Just looking for info from those who may have some experience with them.

Thanks
Garth

I have friends that have been hunting pigs in Texas with them. Solid package. Similar to the 305gr 45-70 but you can use pointy bullets so it should have more range. I really don't know how many loads there are, but it puts the hogs down hard.

Never shot the 450 Bushmaster but I have built several .50 Beowulf’s. That’s the biggest caliber you can have in an AR15 without stepping up to the AR10 platform. Very similar recoil to a semi auto 12 gauge. It also happens that a 10 round Beowulf magazine is the same as a 30 round mag for your 5.56 for those of you who are still living behind enemy lines in a liberal/communist state.

It's actually pretty comfortable... I think you're gonna be happy!!!

Congrats on the build.:thumbsup:

Man.... 450 Bushmaster. 458 SOCOM. 50 Beowulf. I feel a need for a big bore AR comin’ on...

Guy at work has one, I shot it. As with anything AR, because it's so lite you feel the thump but it wasn't unpleasant- The boom was quite typical of a big bore straight wall, all over in a millisecond :D

Sounds like fun :)

Last edited:
So this falls in the category of 'just because I can'?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Keep in mind Stump enjoys sighting in a .458 Lott before breakfast...just sayin’. :D

Jeez Will, you type it in a way that makes it sound like it's ODD to shoot Lott's before breakfast.

The poor little plinker.... always getting a bad rap!
ajmDwHO.jpg

Last edited:
I have a .458 SOCOM with no brake and it's about like a 20 gauge semi auto. I suspect the Bushmaster is pretty close in recoil. You'll have a great time with that I imagine!

I have loaded the boat tailed .452 FTX instead of 250 gr jacketed lead for 454 Casull. It shot alright out of a S&W 460 X frame :D
I think there is a little more flip than push when compared to 300-400 gr. There is mush less drop with the boat tailed FTX

I have one. Whenever I feel like getting kicked by a mule I pull it out lol! Better then that first cup of coffee or Mountain Dew! Guy I bought it from used it to hunt buffalo! I thought I might try elk with it someday. I used my 308 or 556 for deer though for better range and less kick. Lucky in Kansas we can hunt with any center-fire cartridge! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Garth, got a cute story for you - Had a customer come in and we ended up talking about deer hunting somehow. He was pretty proud of his daughters hunting skills and began showing me pictures of their kills hanging up - I noticed they all used AR's, he said that's because they are lite and the adjustable stocks were perfect for his little girls - They were 450 Bushmasters LOL! His girls are 9 and 11 :D ` I think you can handle this ;)

Back