1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Anyone Shoot a .450 Bushmaster?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Garth Reckner, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    I am just finishing up building an AR in 450 Bushmaster. Why? Because I don't have one and we can now use them in Ohio for deer season. I have never shot one and even though the build is done my ammo order doesn't arrive til Monday. Any of you familiar with the 450? I have heard that it has a bit of recoil but that came from a friend that thinks a .308 kicks too much so I am taking his statement with a grain of salt.

What is recoil actually like? Have you found a bullet weight that works better than others? Is it rough on optics? I see Leupold is making a 450 Bushmaster calibrated scope. May try one out even though I have yet to be impressed with caliber specific scopes. Not like deer season around here requires much of an optic as it is all short range (almost always under 150yards), so may go with some sort of red dot. What do you guys think?

Just looking for info from those who may have some experience with them.

Thanks
    Garth

2. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    I have friends that have been hunting pigs in Texas with them. Solid package. Similar to the 305gr 45-70 but you can use pointy bullets so it should have more range. I really don't know how many loads there are, but it puts the hogs down hard.

3. Twiztids4

Twiztids4 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Never shot the 450 Bushmaster but I have built several .50 Beowulf’s. That’s the biggest caliber you can have in an AR15 without stepping up to the AR10 platform. Very similar recoil to a semi auto 12 gauge. It also happens that a 10 round Beowulf magazine is the same as a 30 round mag for your 5.56 for those of you who are still living behind enemy lines in a liberal/communist state.

duramax and zombieassassin like this.
  4. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    It's actually pretty comfortable... I think you're gonna be happy!!!

Congrats on the build.:thumbsup:

5. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Man.... 450 Bushmaster. 458 SOCOM. 50 Beowulf. I feel a need for a big bore AR comin’ on...

6. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Guy at work has one, I shot it. As with anything AR, because it's so lite you feel the thump but it wasn't unpleasant- The boom was quite typical of a big bore straight wall, all over in a millisecond :D

7. azwelke

azwelke azwelke.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 12, 2007
    Sounds like fun :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Keep in mind Stump enjoys sighting in a .458 Lott before breakfast...just sayin’. :D

Stump Buster likes this.
  9. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    So this falls in the category of 'just because I can'?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

10. Will perkins

Will perkins Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2018
    The 450 recoil is like a push more than a kick. I have a ruger American ranch rife in 450 bushmaster and love it, I use it for 150 yds and less for t-Rex hunting :cool:

oldmanwilly and WatermanChris like this.
  11. Stump Buster

Nov 15, 2007

12. Stump Buster

Nov 15, 2007
    Jeez Will, you type it in a way that makes it sound like it's ODD to shoot Lott's before breakfast.

The poor little plinker.... always getting a bad rap!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    WatermanChris and Will York like this.
  13. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    Well...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    WatermanChris likes this.
  14. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    Correct me if I’m wrong but with 350 gr TSX bullets @ 2750 fps I believe that poor little plinker generates over twice the muzzle energy of a .450 Bushmaster?:D

Just sayin’...;)

Hard Knocks and WatermanChris like this.
  15. Stump Buster

Nov 15, 2007
    Yeah, that could be the reason I've been shooting the 17 Hornet a bunch more lately. More bang(s) for the buck per lb of powder and no whiplash the morning after.:D:D:D

Will York and WatermanChris like this.
  16. dman62

dman62 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I have a .458 SOCOM with no brake and it's about like a 20 gauge semi auto. I suspect the Bushmaster is pretty close in recoil. You'll have a great time with that I imagine!

17. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I have loaded the boat tailed .452 FTX instead of 250 gr jacketed lead for 454 Casull. It shot alright out of a S&W 460 X frame :D
    I think there is a little more flip than push when compared to 300-400 gr. There is mush less drop with the boat tailed FTX

18. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I have one. Whenever I feel like getting kicked by a mule I pull it out lol! Better then that first cup of coffee or Mountain Dew! Guy I bought it from used it to hunt buffalo! I thought I might try elk with it someday. I used my 308 or 556 for deer though for better range and less kick. Lucky in Kansas we can hunt with any center-fire cartridge! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

duramax and Will York like this.
  19. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Thanks for the info everyone. Just waiting for optics now.

Garth

Stump Buster likes this.
  20. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Garth, got a cute story for you - Had a customer come in and we ended up talking about deer hunting somehow. He was pretty proud of his daughters hunting skills and began showing me pictures of their kills hanging up - I noticed they all used AR's, he said that's because they are lite and the adjustable stocks were perfect for his little girls - They were 450 Bushmasters LOL! His girls are 9 and 11 :D ` I think you can handle this ;)

Hard Knocks and Stump Buster like this.