Anyone still carry a P38 can opener?

I have been carrying one on the key chain since 1968. I still open cans in camps in the mountains. Will always be part of my gear .

A guy where I work owns several and carries one, we call him Otto and he owns a monkey that smokes.. :)

WOOK

Don't know why, but this struck me as very funny! Now I want to see a pic of Otto and his smoking monkey.

I don't carry a P-38. I always have an SAK or Leatherman on hand, so carrying a P-38 would be redundant.

I don't carry a P-38. I always have an SAK or Leatherman on hand, so carrying a P-38 would be redundant.

redundant is my middle name, I've carried the p-38 for a long time and will continue to do so, sometimes they just come in handy. later,ahgar

Nobody has heard of the little trick of cutting a 1/2 inch long piece of surgical tubing over the p 38 to keep it quiet and closed? Then just slip it up onto the chain end to use the opener. I thought this was just about standard...

Damned handy. Still have a couple laying around the house/in the junk drawer. I have a can opener on the SAK in my Mission Wallet- so don't EDC a P38 anymore.
Once upon a time- many moons ago- that was the only can opener in the house- one of my roomies broke the can opener & refused to buy another. I found my keys in the kitchen drawer a few times.

I stopped carrying mine and stuck it in a BOB. I like and respect the P38 but the constant opeing of the blade makes it a PITA to carry.
The one on my SAK is more efficient and much faster to use. :thumbup:

I've carried one since 1986 or so. Put it on my keychain while in the Navy and it has "saved the day" more than a few times. It was almost taken by airport screeners in the wake of 9-11...I had to appeal to the screeners manager to keep it. Funny what one will do for a 25 cent bit of metal. Regarding pocket wear and tear, I put it on the key ring between a couple keys and that seems to keep it shut and less prone to snags. I hate to carry keys I don't use (keywads are a pet peeve of sorts for me), but I would not consider not carrying my p-38.

We used to call them John Waynes, but never p-38. (and use the phrase "John Wayne: issue one")
:confused:
Anyone know the origen? I never knew

I've had a Shelby on my key ring (actually it's a grenade ring ;)) for over 30 years. IIRC they went to aluminum sometime in the 70's.

I don't use it much any more but it has come in handy from time to time.

works great when the pull tab breaks.

I carry a P-38 in my hiking, fishing and hunting packs. They only get used occassionally, but it is nice to have when your buddy's wife sends them a can of something and you can open it for them instead of hearing them whine about it all day. :D

Not an actual P38, but a Chinese item similar to a p38, except it is longer with a shallow formed spoon end. I have several of these is packs, banded to knife sheaths, and so on. I think they were a whopping $ .50 per each. I have used them to open cans, and they work well.
spoonopener.jpg

We used to call them John Waynes, but never p-38. (and use the phrase "John Wayne: issue one")
:confused:
Anyone know the origen? I never knew

I think I read John Wayne did a US ARMY training film in which he used one of the P38's and the soldiers called it a 'John Wayne' after that.

I think I read John Wayne did a US ARMY training film in which he used one of the P38's and the soldiers called it a 'John Wayne' after that.

Thanks, best explanation I've had.

But also the only I've had.

Best Regards,

Thanks, everyone. While I have never previously had a need for a P-38, I decided that it's time I got one. So I ordered me a P-38 and a P-51.

In for a dime, in for a dollar!

Ya just never know......

Judy

Boy did that post bring back memories! I till have the first one I was issued in basic training on Fort Leonard Wood in 1976. It came with my first C-Ration. Carried on my neck chain for years and after I was discharged in 1979 it went to my key ring and has been there ever since. It has been a lifesaver many times. Used as a can opener, screwdriver, package opener, etc. many times over the years. I still have several other ones I received in the army that are still in their paper wrapper. Maybe I'll pass them on to my sons some day.

"The P-38 is small but useful, easy to carry on a key ring or in your billfold"

Because of this thread I was going to try one on my key chain again, but because of your suggestion I'm going to try it in my wallet. (speaker brand P-38)

Back