Anyone Thinking of Buying a Sword Should Read This First

a lot of people come here asking for advise on which sword to buy and from what company. Ask five people this same Question and you'll get ten different answers and five suggestions to save more money.
Whether you're looking for your first sword or your fiftieth, i'd advise taking a look through the Sword Buyer's Guide, where you can find great info on various styles of swords from various makers, ranging in price from the $150 range to a grand or more. While it's true you get what you pay for, there are always exceptions, like Frost Mora for knives, and swords are no different so long as you do your homework.

a lot of people come here asking for advise on which sword to buy and from what company. Ask five people this same Question and you'll get ten different answers and five suggestions to save more money.
Whether you're looking for your first sword or your fiftieth, i'd advise taking a look through the Sword Buyer's Guide, where you can find great info on various styles of swords from various makers, ranging in price from the $150 range to a grand or more. While it's true you get what you pay for, there are always exceptions, like Frost Mora for knives, and swords are no different so long as you do your homework.

The sword buyer's guide is certainly a resource as is myarmoury.com and swordforum.com as well as this very site.

One thing to keep in mind with all online (and print for that matter) resources is that the reviews presented are only as good as the reviewers writing them. Some are very good and written by very knowledgeable folks. Some are very bad and written by people who have no idea what they are talking about. It is extremely difficult for the novice to know which is which.

When one is thinking of dropping several hundred to several thousand dollars on something the more research the better.

In addition to online resources if one is really serious and preparing to spend serious money a few books might also be in order.

I found the Sword Buyers Guide helpful, and along with alot more research and studying reviews it helped me to make a decision on a sword purchase.

OK OK, I've been a Lord of the Rings fan since the seventies, and I just had to have a sword like Aragorns. But my decision to buy one from Darksword Armory was based primarily on reviews on SBG and backed by comments and reviews from other sites.

They weren't wrong.

Chuck

Look over at Michael "Tinker" Pierce's site. You can get an e-copy of his book which discuss some things about swords and purchasing. Covers a variety of makers in addition to his own.

Back