Anyone try out JW Swords?

There is a chinese forge I've seen on Ebay and wonder if anyone has one of their swords or has any info on them. Here's the link. http://stores.ebay.com/JWHOTSTEELFORGE
Their stuff looks fairly well made for a beater/starter sword but I'd like to hear any firsthand accounts. I'm primarily a folder guy but Samurai swords are what got me interested in steel when I was kid. I got a few stainless wall hanger POS swords but now I find myself interested in trying out something functional to try tameshigiri with. I'm not interested in buying something really expensive (or expensive at all really) because I don't know if it's something I'll truly be interested in. I basically want something in the sub-hundred dollar range to try a few cuts with and basically beat on. I might buy one of the Mushashi Wind swords based on that guy's review but am wondering if maybe JW offers something of a slightly higher caliber. I realize that I'm basically asking what Mtech is good to a bunch of Sebenza guys but any advice not drenched with sarcasm would be appreciated. Thanks.

The seller is another in a long line of sources that has gotten fair mention on other boards.

If you qualify yourself as experienced with knife purchases, you understand the basic philosophy of pricing to quality ration. Swords, overall, are terrific values when compared by price per inch.

What one will generally find with the sub-one-hundred-dollar katana from China is that things will not be as nice if they had spent more money. The sad part is to see folk spend this amount again and again before finally moving up a tier. This is true even in the $200-$300 range. The difference is that folk that start at the higher tier are generally more serious about what their expectations are, not just in product but whre they see themselves going in sword ownership and/or study.

Can they cut? Sure they can. Do they approximate higher quality swords from a visual distance? Sure they do. Is there a real reason for price differences? Ok, I promised myself not to be sarcastic, so I'll assume you have some logic.

Worth noting is that tameshigiri is what folk who study traditional swordsmanship practice. The rest of us are hacks that enjoy cutting stuff up.

I shudder whenever I read the term "beater" and it has become as iconoclastic as "battle ready". I'm sure that even knives you use heavily get some respect for their capability. You may even call them beaters. Just be aware that any long blade can be a lot more unforgiving, durable ir not. Some learn the right way, others may end up learning the hard way. I don't discredit any for not at least thinking about safety but please do keep it in mind. It took me a few years to hurt myself. It was with a katana. While one of my cheapest swords, it became my most expensive purchase. Yes. I was back at that public exhibition the next day, cutting mats with the same sword (note that I'm not saying tameshigiri).

Some construction and assembly techniques further some safety issues. Most of these inexpensive pieces are not very well shoelaced together. Stuff will deteriorate. Thsis becomes a saftey issue. It also leads down the path of folk spending more money to upgrade an inexpensive purchase.

Instead of rambling a whole lot more, I'll simply say buy the best sword you can justify and afford. It is important that the visual appeal to you but keep the cost factor in mind. If japanese style swords are of a real interest, don't jump on the first bandwagon you see. There are lots of them. More every year. Paartist has had a satisfied "beater" client list longer than most. Would I buy one? No but it is because I am beyond an exploratory stage and Japanese swords aren't a primary focus. I still have my Hanwei sword, I still cut mats with it but there are other swords I am fonder of for cutting stuff up.

So, I hope that doesn't sound sarcastic but approaching it all with a "beater" attitude is what prompts many to respond in a sarcastic fashion. the folks over at the beginner section of http://swordforum.com can tell you all about Paartist and other pros and cons regarding the swords. Also about pros and cons in the people sense;) Unfortunately, I see any sword purchase in that price range to be counterproductive if you sense you will continue interest.

Cheers

GC

Back