Anyone use ceramic kitchen knives?

I am intrigued by ceramic bladed kitchen knives. Has anyone used them? What did you think?

never used one, I have a ceramic mandolin slicer to do julienne strips with when I'm too lazy to do them with a knife at work, it works great, I've worked with some people that like ceramic knives( usually small paring or petty), I've always figured I'd drop one and it'd break, but I cook for a living and work kitchens are pretty chaotic. I could see one being ok to use at home, Boker and Kyocera both make what looks to be a decent product, Kyocera makes the mandolin I have.

That's what it looked like to me.But the original poster was asked to move it to ( Kitchen Knives )

I use ceramic kitchen knives all the time, mostly 7" Santokus and slightly smaller fruit knives. One of the alternate uses for ceramic knives is their ability to be used as a finishing steel for metal knives. They are as hard as a rock and as smooth as glass. Hold the ceramic knife in one hand (point toward the ceiling and edge facing away from torso). Then draw the metal knife (edge leading) alternately across one side of the ceramic blade and then the other. Light pressure is recommended as you're just trying to set up the micro edge. I got a Kyocera diamond wheel ceramic knife sharpener in anticipation of dulling my ceramic blades but have yet to use it.

Back