Anyone used the Kasfly Ultimate Sandpaper holder?

REK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
looks like it could be really nifty... also comes w/ a piece of rubber for backing for creating convex edges easily. Of course, this is free hand. I'm thinking about getting it just for flattening things...

i-nw65VP8.jpg

I like the idea, but why only 2.36" x 8.5" for that price?

I use something similar (thick glass plate, magnetized to heavy, durable base with feet). It is 3" x 11". I find it is excellent for flattening things. But 3" minimum is my preference. (MIne has lasted ~15 years at a fraction of the cost.) What do the reviews say? And from China, not my go to source....Also, interested in others' experiences.

yeah I couldn't find dimensions, it definitely should be larger than that. 3x11 would be perfect.

i'd be interested in a handheld holder with pivot response technology for Edge Pro/Ruixin stones or for 204-seriez stones. it's difficult to hold such narrow thin stones freely in the left hand for freehanding with the right hand.

yeah I couldn't find dimensions, it definitely should be larger than that. 3x11 would be perfect.
I guess i'm showing my age --or something--when "high precision manufacturer in China" makes me chuckle...mine was precision USA:)

i'd be interested in a handheld holder with pivot response technology for Edge Pro/Ruixin stones or for 204-seriez stones. it's difficult to hold such narrow thin stones freely in the left hand for freehanding with the right hand.
When I'm flattening, I don't want to hold the stone in either hand. I place it on a sturdy, level surface and let it do it's thing. Do blades stay or get "true" handheld? Including straight edges?

I guess i'm showing my age --or something--when "high precision manufacturer in China" makes me chuckle...mine was precision USA:)

China can hold tight tolerances just like we can here, it's really up to the operator of the CNC equipment. look at reate and WE knives... and I make some really nice shirogorov bits from a factory in Taiwan - they can hold some nice tight tolerances and generally do MUCH better than I have found here (for the price).

Also, I saw where master smith Kyle Royer uses this which is what got me curious. Seems like people on another forum are pleased with it :)

K kreisler I hold an Edge Pro stone by the ends between the tips of thumb and middle finger. This may not work if you have small hands and a cut resistant glove is probably a good idea.

I don't have experience with that particular unit, but in experimenting w/ sandpaper I found it worked a lot better if I could fold the outside edges over rather than the ends. Had a lot less cut paper that way, greatly facilitated scrub and leading passes.

What is "pivot response technology"?

I don't have experience with that particular unit, but in experimenting w/ sandpaper I found it worked a lot better if I could fold the outside edges over rather than the ends. Had a lot less cut paper that way, greatly facilitated scrub and leading passes.

I like that idea. Sounds like it would work a lot better. Thanks for mentioning it.

looks like it could be really nifty... also comes w/ a piece of rubber for backing for creating convex edges easily. Of course, this is free hand. I'm thinking about getting it just for flattening things...

i-nw65VP8.jpg

That's pretty slick. I like the idea, and it looks super convenient. If I used paper as a primary sharpener I'd be interested, especially at the price point. I know it's $125 sanding block, but you know someone would/could try to sell this for $200+. I'd probably want to try to design my own. It would be hard to recreate a lever lock as nice as that one is. Of course mine wouldn't be near as fancy. I'm picturing my drywall sanding block as a starting point. lol

I use something similar (thick glass plate, magnetized to heavy, durable base with feet).

Who sells this? I repurposed two glass shelves out a fridge, adhered some rubber strips to bottom & tah-dah. One is 6x18, the other 12x22. Drafting dots keep the paper secured. Couldn't complain for the $. It was all free.

Who sells this? I repurposed two glass shelves out a fridge, adhered some rubber strips to bottom & tah-dah. One is 6x18, the other 12x22. Drafting dots keep the paper secured. Couldn't complain for the $. It was all free.
:thumbsup:
I checked after posting this, and the seller is no longer selling. Sorry.

But it is brilliant and completely functional. He sold a special water-based adhesive that worked very well, and I can change out the paper with no delay. Grits from the lowest to 60K.

One member mentioned glue sticks which also work but are slower and messier to use. If I find more info, I will post.

To be honest, I really like it (the wsgss). Really quite innovative. Their “pivot technology” appears from the video to work quite well and would really aid the novice sharpener...

:thumbsup:
I checked after posting this, and the seller is no longer selling. Sorry. But it is brilliant and completely functional. He sold a special water-based adhesive that worked very well, and I can change out the paper with no delay. Grits from the lowest to 60K. One member mentioned glue sticks which also work but are slower and messier to use. If I find more info, I will post.

If one could drill micro holes in the base & apply a vacuum to secure the paper. Like a vacuum form molding machine.

Today i've been looking into The Dan's Black Arkansas stone. Even though the stone is said to come lapped and finished nicely out of the box, every;) youtuber seems to relapp and refinish it OOTB, either with a progression series of SiC powder or SiC wet/dry sandpaper (abrasive sheets). I looked into it but found the 3M wetordry product selection confusing. Alternatively i discovered the geman manufacturer STARCKE (est. 1829, a member of FEPA) with a clear catalog where the relevant SiC product is quickly identified as 991A (widely distributed under the MATADOR brand/name). One can find it on ebay/amazon thru search term <matador wasserfest> or <matador schleifpapier> or simply <wasserschleifpapier>. I haven't researched the best price sources yet but i'll do so you betcha.:) (EDIT: lol only 0.4€/sheet at autolackcenter.de, i got 2pcs of MATADOR 360 400 500 600 800 1000 1200 1500 2000 2500 3000 5000, i.e. 24pcs total hehe)

i am buying today!!)

E eKretz made me aware of the problem that even the hardest whetstones will need a refinishing eventually, they don't dish but they do get dull, i learned a lot today! :thumbsup:

So my very next knife-related project will be getting a full set of 991A sheets and lapping my 302UF stone to mirror finish:p with them. A sandpaper holder would be sweet for this purpose.

Last edited:
Have fun. If your hone is much out of flat I would second the recommendation given in the other thread to use diamond if you don't want to spend a lot of time on it.

And remember that it's better to use a loose grit for surface conditioning after you get it flat unless you are intentionally going for the glazed surface. That shouldn't take much time at all once you have the surface flat; a minute or so of lapping on the loose grit should do it.

Back