Anyone using a machinist's tool chest to store their collection?

My wife is generous to a fault, but won't buy herself anything. Kids call her the reverse klepto. She can squeeze a nickel in her fist, open her hand, and show you six pennies. We are doing very well financially, and as it has gotten better, she has gotten even more generous yet more tight on spending on herself. Can't even fathom the amount of times I was looking at something for one of my collections when she said, "do you really need that?" She knows I'll respond with, "No, but that's the entire point". I can just imagine what she'd say if I were shopping for a tool chest or map chest or something similar just to store a collection.

Yes they do offer sales prices for owners club members (you have to own an H Gerstner and provide proof of ownership). They have an annual sale every year about April or May IIRC. They have a booth at Blade each year and usually the President of the company is there manning the booth (great grandson of Harry Gerstner). I have seen some good deals offered there over the years.

The Club members get -20% off from their store. But they also are informed early of 2nds, or discounted items.
I think I may have a 20" chest...FINALLY. I'll know more tomorrow.

Found a Gerstner 042. From just post WW2 era. Probably 1948 or so. 20" wide box. They do a larger box thats 26" or maybe 27"? VERY happy with this one. From info found in the box, this was owned/or used, by three different men.

What a piece of history too. I was wondering...WHAT did the guys who owned this one build? What did they Make?

F FN in MT

Great looking H Gerstner, in wonderful shape. Probably from a machinist or toolmaker, the vertical center drawer was designed to store The American Machinist Handbook (IIRC). Apprentice machinists had to furnish their own measuring tools, etc.

Tools stored in wooden chests don't seem to rust like those stored in a metal one.

You've inspired me :thumbsup:. I just added some counter top space in my shop (woodworking) and one of these
would look great and be ever so useful. One or two should be readily available in the area.I have worked in
boat shops all around the region, all with machinist shops - these tool cases, in varying sizes are pretty common.

Geez - there's always something to buy :confused: :D

Ray

The original Machinists Handbook was in the drawer. How I figured out the chest had been used by 3 different men.
Dated 1950. Work order dates up to 1976 in the book. So it got used for quite some time. Then sold from a Craigs list ad just last year in Illinois. That buyer cleaned it up, relined the drawers with new felt and I bought it from him.

You've inspired me :thumbsup:. I just added some counter top space in my shop (woodworking) and one of these
would look great and be ever so useful. One or two should be readily available in the area.I have worked in
boat shops all around the region, all with machinist shops - these tool cases, in varying sizes are pretty common.

Geez - there's always something to buy :confused: :D

Ray

Check out e bay under "Machinist tool chests" as well as "Gerstner chests". There were a few other quality makers as well and some built for Starett by Gerstner.

Beware there are fakes, junk built in china out of inferior wood. Sadly Gerstner built a line in the Orient termed their "International" series. Unless they are dirt cheap beware.

The real ones are most often built from 1/4 sawn oak, but could also be in mahogany or American walnut. Currently they do them in a few other woods. Check their site. They do 2nds too. But even as a 2nd the prices are astounding.Gerstner does still support these old chests and they sell ALL the hardware, felt, refinishing stains, finish, etc. Why there is such an array of restored chests out there.

At the bottom of the Gerstner Home page theres links to the Collectors FORUM. Worth visiting as it's THE best source for knowledge on these guys. The forum saved me from buying a knock off chest.

If I can be of help drop me a message.

As a Quality Assurance professional in the aerospace industry I Bought my first new machinist chest in the mid 1980's. An Oak Gerstner 82, their largest at the time. Cost me a whopping $282 on sale. The same chest today is over a Grand. Mine was passed on to my daughter who uses it to store her treasures. She even left the little metal plaque on that Gerstner added to it. "Made especially for and my name" Some day my Grandson(s) will use it.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for bringing this company to light. I have been wanting something like this but did not know where to start. The hunt is on!

Back