Anyone with CABS and an Ano B4 please come in.

Hello.

I'm curious how these compare from owners who have both. Thickness seems similar. Both 4" blade lengths. B4 looks to have a slightly taller height which I imagine may make the thickness near the edge a bit thinner?

Specifically regarding the blades and slicing and cutting, please share any differences that exist between the two, or if none are noticeable, that would be helpful info as well.
sFi_ninja.gif

I have a CABS now, and I'm sure will be picking up an Ano B4 at some point as well, and would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks! :pig:

Sorry, cant help with the visual comparison, but I will just say that the BS's and ABS's are what I believe are some of the best models going. Super simple design that will fill any role you'd expect a belt knife to handle. They are awesome...

Hello.

I'm curious how these compare from owners who have both. Thickness seems similar. Both 4" blade lengths. B4 looks to have a slightly taller height which I imagine may make the thickness near the edge a bit thinner?

Or not. IIRC, the Ano B4 has a flat grind to a convex edge, but the blade is rather thick right behind the edge. I think that the CABS has the thinner edge.

I have em both. Depends on use. Both are great hunting blades. The b4 better on the cutting block than processing. That tall blade height keeps it from being as maneuverable around bones and sockets etc. I live in a cold climate during hunging season and I dont care for convex edges for processing game personally. They clog up with fat too easy and become dull as butter knives.

I like a good v edge I can keep a steel on. I also use three of four knives if Im at home when doing a deer and a large bucket of hot soapy water. The colder it is the faster I go through em. Cold steel loads up with fat real quick so I use one til it quits cutting then drop it in the water and grab another.

Cultie is my favorite for processing a deer. :thumbup:

and no I dont even have any for sale. So thats just my honest opinion from years of use.

I have em both. Depends on use. Both are great hunting blades. The b4 better on the cutting block than processing. That tall blade height keeps it from being as maneuverable around bones and sockets etc. I live in a cold climate during hunging season and I dont care for convex edges for processing game personally. They clog up with fat too easy and become dull as butter knives.

I like a good v edge I can keep a steel on. I also use three of four knives if Im at home when doing a deer and a large bucket of hot soapy water. The colder it is the faster I go through em. Cold steel loads up with fat real quick so I use one til it quits cutting then drop it in the water and grab another.

Cultie is my favorite for processing a deer. :thumbup:

and no I dont even have any for sale. So thats just my honest opinion from years of use.

Last year was my my first deer processing experience. I basically skinned and quartered it in the field. One of the surprising things to me was the way that the fat would congeal on the knife blade (ScrapMax 350) and I had to keep scraping the cold fat off the knife with a stick.

Thanks guys.

Love this forum. Quick, honest answers from people who use their blades.

I don't have a Cultie, but I'd like to pick one up sometime after I get a Skeleton Key.

Sounds like I really don't need a Basic 4, but that doesn't mean I won't end up getting one. I would like to try out that res C handle.

Knife Hunter, aside from processing deer, do you use either CABS or B4 on a regular basis, and do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks everyone.

Scrapmax will get you the same handle with better game processing ergos for less $$ ;)
I sold my CABS, still have my B4's for the handles. B4 reminds me a lot of a res-c BATAC in game processing, it works, but could be better, yet is excellent for food prep.

I had a CABS. Lovely thin slicer.

It was one of the few Busse I did not feel needed thinning behind the edge. CABS, and MUCK I left the edge alone. The BAD was another awesome slicer.

I can't address the Basic 4, as I never owned or used one.

Knifehunter has had a lot, and I mean a lot of Busse and other steel.

One thing I see, though is that people are afraid to touch up a convex edge on a steel, or ceramic. They should not be. It works fine too. As long as you are touching up the apex.

Fat is my nemesis when skinning. Blood can dry on the edge too if you let it, and impede cutting, but the fat is annoying.

I did some cardboard cutting a few years ago and my CABS did a lot better than my ano b4.

The CABS is still my favorite small knife.

The Scrapmax... I've just somewhat recently learned about that one. That looks like another great choice although Elmax vs Infi. I understand Elmax is arguably better in this role but, well... Infi

I have a BAD as well, love that knife and plan on holding onto that one.

Fat is my nemesis too, but it's on me and not the knife. :-(

Dark, good to know.

Well, maybe I would be better off picking up a Scrapmax since I have the CABS but that will still let me enjoy that res C

There were 3 different scrapmax models too, something like 340, 375, & 460 maybe, which seems to relate to the blade length. 2 had very similar shape, and 1 was a lot wider, more like an AD.

I just picked up this baby from another HOG. I'm stoked to get here.

It's a fairly rare knob creek variant. ULTRA thin ELMAX

Last year was my my first deer processing experience. I basically skinned and quartered it in the field. One of the surprising things to me was the way that the fat would congeal on the knife blade (ScrapMax 350) and I had to keep scraping the cold fat off the knife with a stick.

I have yet to find a knife of any satin finish that the fat does not stick to. Scrap max 460 is my fav all rounder with the Hog Muk, and CABS being other great 4" blades for the field. The weight and handle of the Scrap Max really make the knife melt into your hand.

I have yet to find a knife of any satin finish that the fat does not stick to. Scrap max 460 is my fav all rounder with the Hog Muk, and CABS being other great 4" blades for the field. The weight and handle of the Scrap Max really make the knife melt into your hand.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to need to get one of these Scrap Maxes. Never see them on the exchange though. Hopefully one pops up at a reasonable price that I can snag.

Damn! Missed not one but two Scrap Max 460s for sale this morning. One in a beautiful armor all sheath. Prices are already gone so not even sure what they went for.

I don't have a Cultie for comparison but my B4 Supermodel is hands down my favourite knife for dressing deer/game in the field.

Thanks guys.

Love this forum. Quick, honest answers from people who use their blades.

I don't have a Cultie, but I'd like to pick one up sometime after I get a Skeleton Key.

Sounds like I really don't need a Basic 4, but that doesn't mean I won't end up getting one. I would like to try out that res C handle.

Knife Hunter, aside from processing deer, do you use either CABS or B4 on a regular basis, and do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks everyone.

Sorry for delay. Homecoming was this week and I had a lot of deadlines...

I like the b4 not saying its a bad piece at all. Like I was saying I use more than one knife when doing a deer. I usually start with a SJ cause its normally what I carry due to overall length if I need it in emergency and I usually gut em with that. To skin I like the b4 as it works really well and after using the SJ its really light. I use that for the hide. Then I go to the cultie for removing tenderloins, and hind quarters. It just maneuvers around the ball and socket so easy. Its rounded nose does very well down the spine too for the tenderloin and rolls down instead of sticking into each vertebrae like the AD's pointier tip. Ive been wanting to get the steak knife into it but I havent got to hunt in last few years unfortunately so I havent used it yet. I think with the long edge and the toothy edge and low blade height it will be incredible. I know the crew did a whole bunch of deer a year or so ago with it. Like 16 ???? I think or something insane before having to sharpen. Elmax is a beast with Jerrys heat treat and has a toothier edge which is great on fat and meat.

I do like the b4 on the cutting board slicing tenderloin alot. Ive found over the years I like very light knives cause its usually cold and after a long day in the cold, dragging out a dear, skinning him etc, and final processing my fingers and hands sometimes start to cramp so the lighter the better

Back