Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Whether the word "Apache" makes you think of this:

warrior.jpg

or this:

apache-helicopter-ah-64.jpg

...you are correct.

This new design I'm working on is meant to be an outdoorsman's fighting knife.

I designed it from the beginning to fit in the larger 8" Spec-Ops Combat Master sheath:
http://www.specopsbrand.com/combat-master-knife-sheath-long.html

Here's what I've got so far:

ApacheFighter3.gif

7.9" blade, 13.75" overall

Scandi grind at the tip, 45 deg swedge on top, flat grind everywhere else. Pommel strike. Integral guard. Finger cut-out for detail work.

Made from the same 3V as the MUCK.

Let me know your thoughts - and I'll try and post anything I've forgotten to add. :D

Dan
KosterKnives.com

I put in a shallow blood groove for weight-savings, and the tang will be skeletonized like the MUCK and BushMaster.

2 corby pins and a lanyard tube on the pommel.

Dan

I can't stand those tanto points. I think it would be better with a standard grind. Add a sharpened or sharpenable back clip.

I've made this knife so that a sharpenable back clip could be added on request.

The front tanto is a true Scandi-grind....like my bushcraft knife. Think of this as a wharncliffe blade that you can also use the tip for chisel-work. ;)

Dan

Daniel,

In your opinion how would that tanto tip fare
Against soft body armor ? As well as heavy/
Winter clothing ? ... Imo since it is designed
To be a fighter it should be able to have good
Penetration to hit the vitals ! What are your
Thoughts on this ?

Frank

Here are a few thoughts - all are welcome to add opinions, etc. I'm not an expert fighter...nor do I play one on TV. :D :p

Most Tanto-style tips I've seen are usually a full flat grind, or a hollow grind backing up a thick flat grind. They have their uses and purposes. But for me I was wanting something a little more useful and practical. The tip should be plenty strong for penetrating a variety of materials. It will be quite thick. The scandi grind should be able to take a good amount of abuse.

I'm very interested in having this go through a passaround. I will probably make a prototype out of 3V that is 0.278" thick. We can test the scandi grind and if it doesn't hold up then I can grind a steeper micro bevel on it.

I'm open to input and helpful suggestions. I do want it to be quite tough, yet not so heavy that it drags your pants down when you belt-carry it.

Dan

I don't think I'd want the choil. Maybe a little more drop at the index-finger area of the handle to give it a little more of a guard.

I was bored, so I played around in Paint a little. This is what I was getting at. Maybe a longer blade, but I just did a little crop and move around with what you had.

ApacheFighter3_zpsb40ce720.jpg

Tanto is nice.. but if yer gonna call it a bowie, why not make a real bowie.. one in 3V would kick ass.

Is there not the "apache" that is the French street tough with a beret, striped shirt, Galoise cigarettes an a flick knife?:D

This seems very interesting. I look forward to this project maturing. It would be a great "bad brother" to the MUCK I have on order.

Tanto is nice.. but if yer gonna call it a bowie, why not make a real bowie.. one in 3V would kick ass.

+1 on the bowie idea. The pictured knife is nice but not exactly my style. I would love a larger version of the EDC knife though. A true bowie around 7" with a nice wide blade maybe 1 1/2" from spine to edge. Dan could make this knife absolutely stunning. It would be an instant classic.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. I do appreciate feedback.

+1 on the bowie idea. The pictured knife is nice but not exactly my style. I would love a larger version of the EDC knife though. A true bowie around 7" with a nice wide blade maybe 1 1/2" from spine to edge. Dan could make this knife absolutely stunning. It would be an instant classic.

Hey - have you been looking over my shoulder?!?

:eek:

Dan

I put in a shallow blood groove for weight-savings, and the tang will be skeletonized like the MUCK and BushMaster.

2 corby pins and a lanyard tube on the pommel.

Dan
would rather have pomel strike and lanyard hole(tube) on center with corby pins...so the pommell strike would be spear tip shaped instead of tanto tip shape.
+anything extra you can do to lighten it up!

Back