Apology to HC LEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ Buck

I spoke with Rick on his cell phone and he has no recollection of the exchange at the Pasadena Knife Show and apologized profusely if comments he made at the show caused someone offense.

He did remember discussing the theft of intellectual property with a fellow rep.

He said that in his line of work offending people is not good for business and he would never do it intentionally.

He again apologized for any misunderstanding.

If there is any additional action needed here please contact me at cj@buckknives.com

Best Regards...
cj

CJ Buck

Thank you for responding sir. I have received your email and have responded accordingly.

In the spirit of resolution I accept your apology. Thank you. As far as I'm concerned the matter is closed, there is no need for further action.

Kind regards
Hilton Leo

I realize that this topic is a bit dated now and everyone has moved on but I need to comment because I may be able to shed some more light on this subject, since I was there and may even be partially responsible for the misunderstanding in the first place.

I've been on the road almost constantly since that show and haven't had the time to sit down and write anything but I really do feel that Rick is getting a bad rap here and that he truly has nothing to apologize for.

I'll explain:

I was at that show. I was set up in the same room, directly across on the opposite wall from the Buck table. We were about 30 feet apart, well within earshot of each other.

Being a major buck dealer, I know both Rick and Randy well, having dealt with them for years. They are both fine people who have a full understanding of customer relations and the foolishness of blurting out derogatory remarks toward anyone in either a public or private setting. I did not hear that kind of talk from either of them during the entire three days of that show.

Early in the day in question (Saturday) Rick was at my tables looking over my Buck selection and checking to see if I needed anything. In other words, acting like a manufacturer's representative. (Doing his job.) We discussed the move to Idaho and the immediate effect on product availability and what to expect in the near future.

During the conversatiion, the subject of Buck joining the ranks of other knife manufacturers going "offshore" (particularly, China) for some of their production came up. Rick asked what I thought the effect of that decision would have on my business.

I told him that, while they would probably be successful in the discount market like WalMart, K-Mart, Big 5, etc. it would not do my business any good and that I didn't plan to stock much, if any, of what I refer to as "The Chinese Collection". He asked why and I explained to him that in my market as in most of the specialty knife shops that carry higher end products those knives wouldn't sell very well.

He asked why I was so sure of that and I explained that In my 12 years of experiance with the knife enthusiast market I have found that there is a very strong traditionalist attitude that extends to the origin of the knives as well as the materials, makers and methods used in their production. Most of the people who go to the trouble to seek out the smaller shops that specialize in quality cutlery aren't shopping just for price but are, generally, more interested in the quality over all and that knives made in China and Taiwan aren't seen as products that meet the standards they expect.

He commented that the Buck name should make the difference and I told him of the many times that customers come into my store and ask where the knives are made before the ask anything else and that because of that I have great difficulty selling Gerber, and Columbia River Knives because almost all of them are made in China or Tiawan. I used the example of the Winchester knife brand now made by Carolina Knife & Tool, (a division of Gerber). Customers notice them because of the name and they are nicely made but, invariably, with the knife enthusiasts they will see that it is from China and won't buy it.

This is why I think I may be responsible for the misunderstanding because I used almost those exact words "He'll see its Chinese and won't buy it" That's what I told Rick and That is what I heard Rick repeating to Randy a short time later when he went back to his table. I believe that this is also what HC Leo heard. Those were my words, not Rick's.

There was no racism involved in the conversation, unless it is now considered racist to not like products from a particular region, even when it is demonstrated that those products don't live up to the standards or expectations of those who spend their money to purchase them.

There has been a lot of contentious discussion about the proliferation of knives from Pakistan, China and Taiwan that has occurred in the last few years and that's not going away anytime soon. These things are particularly looked down on by the folks who patronize knife shops and knife shows simply due to the nature of their interest and most of the ones I know aren't too shy about expressing their opinions. It's not racism, it's passion and enthusiasm and knowledge about their chosen interest, not to mention good, old fashioned patriotism ("I only buy American").

I think what was heard was taken out of context and mis-interpreted and that's unfortunate because I know where it was coming from.

Notwithstanding all of the nonsense from that other thread, it all comes down to the old adage: "If you're going to evesdrop...pay attention" :) :)

Which is exactly why I suggested that the party involved, or that thought they were, should have politely spoke to the persons at the time to clarify what was actually said and the intent thereof, like civilized adults, instead of making a public attack implying bigotry against someone in a public forum.

The old adage, "If you're going to eavesdrop....pay attention" :) :)

Did you get that part Mr. Leo???

C'mon people. My post wasn't meant as a slap at Leo. He obviously heard something at that show that sounded wrong and he had every right to post what he did. The fact that he may have misunderstood or misinterpreted the comment is irrelevent. I don't blame him for speaking up and I admire his conviction for addressing what he perceived to be an injustice. He deserves the same pulpit as the rest of us under similar circumstances and praise for stepping up to it.

The eavesdropping comment was meant as a joke to lighten things up, not as a dig. Take it that way please.

The purpose of the post was to clear up a misconception concerning Rick, nothing more.

Let it be folks...it's over.

Dennis Wright said:

Somewhat, but since HC Leo was so insistent on an apology, then maybe he owes me one?

In the previous thread I simply asked him why he didn't speak directly to the person he perceived as having insulted him, instead of bringing it to a public fourm.

In response I was attacked pretty harshly and called, "Fool" and "Ignorant" and it was implied I was a racist.

At no time did I ever call him anything or insult him.

Maybe he needs to apologize now?

Dennis Wright said:
C'mon people. My post wasn't meant as a slap at Leo. He obviously heard something at that show that sounded wrong and he had every right to post what he did. The fact that he may have misunderstood or misinterpreted the comment is irrelevent. I don't blame him for speaking up and I admire his conviction for addressing what he perceived to be an injustice. He deserves the same pulpit as the rest of us under similar circumstances and praise for stepping up to it.

The eavesdropping comment was meant as a joke to lighten things up, not as a dig. Take it that way please.

The purpose of the post was to clear up a misconception concerning Rick, nothing more.

"I don't blame him for speaking up and I admire his conviction for addressing what he perceived to be an injustice."

What conviction? If he had any conviction, he would of addressed the issue (which obviously seemed to be very serious) right then & there like it should of been. And it would of been resolved, with no need to address it here on an open forum like he did. That's the point. Sorry Mr. Wright, but as long as he brought this here on an open forum, we should be allowed to express our opinions, especially now that the full story has come to light.
Mr. Leo must be too busy wiping the egg off his face to comment any further.

Dennis...thanks for sharing what you saw at the show. It does explain why Rick had no recollection at all of any exchange.

I think this has run its course. Lets all get back to talking about Knives....

cj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back