Appropriate age for first folder?

I am 19, and the first knife I got was not from a parent, but a little utility knife )like the ones that come in toiletry kits) that I found on my street. I don't think I ever used it. I alos had a tine little promotional knife taht was shaped like a baseball bat and bore the logo of a bank from my dad's hometown (got tah one in my grandpa's basement).

But, like most of you, I was a Scout and got my first REAL knife at the 1990 Family Camporee. My dad and I were in the trading post, he walked over tot he rack, picked it up, looked at it for a littl while, and we walked out with the knife, a nylon Scout sheath and a little whet stone. I still have taht knife,a lthoguh I long ago replaced it with a newer SAK for camping (don't want to lose it).

I have thoguht a lot aobut the various rites of passage that acquiring certain tools represent, and have already determined my timeline: 8 for an SAK, 12 for a lock back, 13 for .22, 14 for a fixed blade, 16 for a personal shotgun. Big rifles and handguns will come alon a little later, most likely in accordance wiht nice knives to mark important dates (I got my Buck Special for earning my Life Bage, my Benelli for earning Eagle, and my Randall Mod 14 for graduation).

My dad made rules aobut when I could get certian kinds of knives, and made sure that I knew how to use them safely and where I could carry them. I bought a cheap stiletto folder in Chicago when I was visiting my sister at age 11 and didn't get it back until this Christmas when I remembered it and pointed out that I already ahd a Vaquero Grande :D

:D :D

Back