Appropriate edge performance?

Thanks everyone. I've decided I'm going to just roll with the dull, dinged, rolled edge and keep on using it. I've come to understand that this really isn't a cutting tool, but a smashing, crushing tool, and for that it just needs to be sharper than a hammer, so the edge won't be an issue.

Will do more testing and get back to everyone.

Thanks again!
Mark

I like mine "scary sharp" too but I might use it all day without stopping to resharpen. Hawks are not really meant to be hair shaving sharp(although mine usally are. lol) I've tied into some things that will really take the edge off like root and stob removal,digging in soil with gravel and small pebbles ect but I try to avoid uduly damaging the edge by hacking at things with nails,staples in it. Any edged tool used to chop into metal is going to suffer damage. note that tools like chisels are placed against the metal and then struck(similar to batoning) so there is no impact between edge and object being cut,it is more of a shearing effect. for maintaing the edge I use a common round diamond hone and a ceramic stick and try to keep the steep angle the V-Tac came with.

Back