Are daggers legal in New Jersey while hunting?

Hi,
Just looking for some advice.
Are daggers legal in NJ while hunting? It seems like they are, provided that you are actually engaged in hunting (i.e., in possession of a valid license, gear, etc.).
Thank you for any suggestions!

It seems that you already did your due diligence. If you are looking for a definitive answer, you are not going to find it here thanks to how poorly-written NJ laws are... "Why do you need to carry a dagger?" If you are ready to answer that and in that context in a way that you believe will satisfy the average person, then you have your answer.

Last edited:
Thanks Enkrig, appreciate it.
I just moved to NJ and trying to get used to a new set of rules.

Hi,
Are daggers legal in NJ while hunting? It seems like they are, provided that you are actually engaged in hunting (i.e., in possession of a valid license, gear, etc.).

One thing I ask is, what fact makes the statutes apply to me?
IOW, if I haven't harmed someone or their property, why does this STATE OF NEW JERSEY have an interest in my goings-on? No crime was committed....and who was injured? Just bring one of the People... I'll wait...

Hi,

Let’s have a look at New Jersey’s laws.

2C:39-3. Prohibited Weapons and Devices.

e.Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

2C:39-4. Possession of weapons for unlawful purposes.
d.Other weapons. Any person who has in his possession any weapon, except a firearm, with a purpose to use it unlawfully against the person or property of another is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons.
d.Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

2C:39-6 Exemptions.
f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
(2)A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;
(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:
(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

Make of this what you will. As far as carrying a double edged dagger for hunting in NJ, I personally wouldn’t do it. Seems like there are better options out there.

I'll add two tidbits in case you already don't know:

Notice 2C:39-4 in the K Knife_Collector_101 which, from what I've been told, means that self-defense is never a reason to say to the police in NJ, as that can easily be construed as the intent to use it against another person in a potentially unlawful situation. It does seem that if someone does use a knife in a self-defense situation and it is justified, it won't be a problem but that is an after the fact situation. (Think that the knife use was incidental in the same way someone could have used a brick lying around in a self-defense situation.)

While hunting does grant a greater latitude in terms of knives and other utensils, the significance of the tool in that context remains a crucial factor. For example, if you wanted to carry a Cold Steel SRK, IMHO I don't it would be a problem. I find it too long but a lot of folks use it to field dress deer. Another example, I personally sometimes carry a machete because early in the season I need to clear path and there are some really annoying (and painful) thorny bushes in my area. In other words, I carry the tool for an immediate and intrinsically utilitarian purpose.

I am in NJ, and I am VERY careful to stay away from ANY types blades with any sort of double edge. I even steered clear of buying a scuba diving knife that had a dagger point. I‘d only ever carry that knife to the bottom of the ocean with me far from any police. The fear being that I’d forget it in my vehicle or something with no explainable purpose.

Thank you for all the good advice, much appreciated.

I get that there are better options out there, but I just love the look of daggers and wanted an excuse to buy one and take it into the woods.

Looks like I am staying with my usual, single edge, hunting knives. Not that this is a bad thing.

Thank you all!

If you have to ask such a question I suspect you already know the answer, the best advice is to not tempt fate, especially when it comes to law enforcement.

Yep, I hear you.

I had my eye on a Spyderco Nightstick, which is a single edge dagger, but I guess still a dagger. At least it is advertised as one.

Thanks

I used to carry a Western boot knife for hunting/skinning. My way of thinking was, having a double edged knife was like having two knives.
It's was probably not the best blade shape for skinning, but it worked.

If you have a good hunting knife: the dagger is just for showing off...
Unless you are attacked by a swarm of Jersey Devils!

If you have a good hunting knife: the dagger is just for showing off...
Unless you are attacked by a swarm of Jersey Devils!
Hadn’t heard about the Jersey Devil in ages! Wonder what he’s up to. 😂

But in all seriousness, as Enkrig posted above, a Cold Steel SRK seems like it would be a good option for carrying while hunting. NJ’s laws on things like daggers are way too vague. Better to play it safe.

I do agree: "Safe" usually ends up having less questions asked of you...

Back