Are dogs better than burglar alarms?

My neighbour has two dogs. They are not particularly ferocious but they are marvellous at barking at stray cats and wandering rats.

One anti-burglar book I read highly recommends dogs. It said that dogs are a nuisance as far as thieves and burglars are concerned.

The moment they sniff a foreign body, their ears perk up and they bark like all hell has broken loose.

Coming back to my neighbour, I don't have any dogs but because of proximity, their dogs also "look after" my house, so to speak.

The only problem is the dogs tend to leave their poo all over the garden.

I guess that's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Dogs or wired alarms - what do you recommend?

I had a dog. She barked alot. My neighbor did not like her and even had her snet to tet pound once for the racket she was making in the middle of the night. So I took her to my parents after getting her out of the pound. That night my neighbor's house was broken into by a burgler. I had a good laugh at that, bloody well serves him right,cause dogs are barking at something.

BTW wired alarms cannot have traps but dogs can attack.

I had to study criminal patterns in college when I got my degree in Admin. of Justice, and the research was very consistent that criminals will quickly "pass over" a house that they know has ANY type of dog, in favor of one that doesn't.

Second only to the fear of a homeowner shooting them, was having to deal with a yapping mutt.

Of course dogs are better than a burglar alarms.

1)The force you to get exercise walking them
2)They are really good at waking you up with that cold wet nose
3)Burgular alarms don't head butt you in the crotch when they are happy to see you :rolleyes:
3)Dogs like to play ball
4)Dogs can be your friend

Dogs are better because when the famine comes you can't eat a burglar alarm.

MikeH,

You owe me a new keyboard because I just spewed coffee into mine!:D

Of cause dogs are better than the burglar alarms. Do you want to have a sirene as a friend? :D An other important point is, that, if you ever had a dog, you will never be afraid of other dogs.

BTW, dogs like to grapple, too.

Stump;
Sorry 'bout that!
I once had a co-worker to whom I did this so often that we called him "Rain Bird".

An alarm system is okay, but in my opinion, it is almost worthless.
If it is hooked up to the phone lines, cut line, the thief problem is sovled.
If the thief knows exactly what he wants, he will beat the alarm by pure speed.

My dog is better then my alarm system because it senses things an alarm can't.

My dogs are awesome. I have a healer and she won't let anyone get near
my house. She has broken 3 windows trying to get at 2 different dogs and one ignorant neighbor who mistakenly decided to walk between my house and garage, scared the crap out of her. Dogs are way better than alarms.

A well trained dog that you know well can be extraordinarily useful and give you warnings that something is wrong in a variety of situations, including burglar, fire or even just that your kid is ill. Just be willing to trust that the dog may be on to something when he or she is particularly insistent about something. BTW, always keep in mind that there is a difference between a guard dog and a watch dog. My family has a dog which is the latter, he'll let you know someone's around, but as soon as they're in the door the only danger is drowning in friendly drool. :)

I live in a fairly remote spot. Law enforcement response time is anywhere from 45 minutes to many hours. In addition, the doors are usually unlocked, and neighbors, friends, and service folks come and go freely.

In this situation, my brace of Basset Hounds make the ideal alarm. They know who is supposed to be here, and who isn't. They alert me if I'm home, and repel unwanted borders whether I'm here or not. You may not think of a Basset as an ideal watch dog, but they are very intelligent, quite solid (mine weigh about 70 pounds each), and scrappy - they were bred in part to hunt wild boar and wolves, and mine are from a hunting line.

I'm getting a Newfoundland to add to the pack this year, though, as Bassets don't swim worth a darn.

Back