Are Exclusives a 1 and done?

I’m looking for a PM 2 and would like one in M390 or 20CV. I know that companies have done their own exclusives on them. My question is do they just get the initial allocation from Spyderco and that’s it, or will they do a second run at a later date?

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/exclusives

The official explanation aside, I thought I read (once upon a time) that there was a minimum order of 1200; and a second order of (up to?) 800 could be placed. Things may have changed, though - or I was mistaken - because I'm pretty sure there have been 3 releases of the green g10/20cv PM2

Last edited:
DLT (pretty sure it was DLT, maybe knifeworks) did 2 runs of their 20CV tan handled PM2. It's completely up to the buyer of the custom order, it seems. Since both orders sold out pretty fast, they may be doing another one but messaging them is the best bet.

BBS did 2 runs of Blue/M390 IIRC.
DLT 2 of Red/M390? Or 1 had DLC?

I think that the M390 or equivalent is still a sure enough seller that it's likely there will be more from someone. But then there's the whole server melting, bandwidth jamming experience of trying to buy one.

Had this in the drawer since they were released, finally pocketed it a couple weeks ago - oh why did I wait so long...

UkxbBSC.jpg

The second of which I would imagine they regretted...I think they just recently sold out after like 3 years
I think it was hard for many to spend $200+ on a PM2, but I for one, am glad they brought it back. I wasn’t aware of them until run #2 and when I found out, purchased one instantly. I couldn’t have hand selected a better example. It’s PM2 perfection!

Can anyone (or any organization) w/about $120K (just a guess on the wholesale cost for a min of 1200) order an "exclusive" knife for production from Spyderco or is that privilege only available to established knife dealers?

Don't have any plans on doing it myself but it would be an interesting way to get into the knife business. ;)

"I think it was hard for many to spend $200+ on a PM2,"

The current run with Maxamet seems to be gone every time a dealer gets some in, they're $201

"I think it was hard for many to spend $200+ on a PM2,"

The current run with Maxamet seems to be gone every time a dealer gets some in, they're $201
I did not know what they were retailing for, honestly. I have no real interest in Maxamet, but others seem to be going crazy over it.

Can anyone (or any organization) w/about $120K (just a guess on the wholesale cost for a min of 1200) order an "exclusive" knife for production from Spyderco or is that privilege only available to established knife dealers?

Don't have any plans on doing it myself but it would be an interesting way to get into the knife business. ;)

I have been told by the owner of a well established dealer (that has done multiple exclusives) that they give Spyderco a “wish list” of proposed models about a year out and Spyderco gets back to them on options they will make.

I had decided originally on getting a PM2 and Para 3 in S35VN. I liked the color of the scales and the steel is good and I was all set to get both of them. Had them in my cart for a few days and just couldn't pull the trigger. Well in surfing around the net I found a reputable site (I Hope) that had a Para 3 in Maxamet for sale, so I bought it. Well that and a Salt 2 Dragonfly. I'm hoping to pick up a PM2 in Maxamet either through the exchange or if they come back for another run. I'd also like one in Rex45 and M390, but baby steps first. I have to see just how I like the Para 3 and then I'll work towards a PM2.

The PM2 maxamet is a production knife so should be spotted more frequently as time goes on, they seem to come into stock at the bigger dealers, but sell out very quickly. The one lesson I’ve learned about buying high demand knives is that you should have your mind made up and when one is in stock do not pass go or collect your $200, cart it and buy it. Come back after if you want to shop.

Back