Are Front Flippers Legal for Import into Canada?

I was really thinking about getting a CJRB Maileah but since I read something about flipper knives being illegal for import into Canada. I was wondering the same about front flippers. Does anyone know if front flippers would go through the CBSA?

I was really thinking about getting a CJRB Maileah but since I read something about flipper knives being illegal for import into Canada. I was wondering the same about front flippers. Does anyone know if front flippers would go through the CBSA?
If it's a mecanism it's illegal if it's a part of the blade it could be, but I ain't sure.

You should contact your local police station about that, they will tell you exactly what you can and can't.

Look for the knife you want at Canadian retailers.

Nothing I can post here as they are not paying members

Any retailler worth considering? Like for online purchase?
So take where to purchase questions like this to the Good the Bad, and the Ugly section were folks can review dealers that are not site sponsors.

Don't bother asking the local police about this since they don't control what gets stopped at the border.

Some people have ordered front flippers from big online stores like Blade HQ or DLT trading no problem. Others have had non flipper knives seized. It's very inconsistent so buying inside Canada is the safest call.

Stores up here can have almost any knife they have in the USA and most of the time the price difference is only $20 or so dollars more here. But there are longer delays in restocking and not many places do special editions unique to their store.

Last edited:
So take where to purchase questions like this to the Good the Bad, and the Ugly section were folks can review dealers that are not site sponsors.

Don't bother asking the local police about this since they don't control what gets stopped at the border.

Some people have ordered front flippers from big online stores like Blade HQ or DLT trading no problem. Others have had non flipper knives seized. It's very inconsistent so buying inside Canada is the safest call.

Store up here can have almost any knife they have in the USA and most of the time the price difference is only $20 or so dollars more here. But there are longer delays in restocking and not many places do special editions unique to their store.
Thanks for the advice, I'm fairly new here.

But the thing about the police really ain't just for borders; the knife law are regulated by province and some of them make the city regulate it. Well, minus the part about the automatic, assisted, gravity and centrifugal force opening knife which are federal.

There is also a part that talk about opener designed in the blade and if I understood that properly it say the opening part should not stick out from the knife, making any flipper plainly illegal to possess.

I also read in the media that it's the customer duty to be sure the knife is legal, because "it's not because you can buy it that it's legal".

Ain't one to judge about buying something more or less legal, but seriously consider if it's worth the risk.

Edit: What I'm not sure to understand is if they mean stick out like a flipper or stick out like emerson opener, which making the knife "automatic".

Thanks for the advice, I'm fairly new here.

But the thing about the police really ain't just for borders; the knife law are regulated by province and some of them make the city regulate it. Well, minus the part about the automatic, assisted, gravity and centrifugal force opening knife which are federal.

There is also a part that talk about opener designed in the blade and if I understood that properly it say the opening part should not stick out from the knife, making any flipper plainly illegal to possess.

I also read in the media that it's the customer duty to be sure the knife is legal, because "it's not because you can buy it that it's legal".

Ain't one to judge about buying something more or less legal, but seriously consider if it's worth the risk.

Edit: What I'm not sure to understand is if they mean stick out like a flipper or stick out like emerson opener, which making the knife "automatic".
They leave the law grey to make sure if someone invents something new. That's what happened with flippers getting classed as switchblades. Ignore that unless you are a lawyer; but someone was trying to start a lawsuit over that ruling.

I know of two municipalities in Canada with laws specifically around knives/pocket knives but they hinge around if the knife is visible easy to grab so pocket clips are an issue. That would be Montreal and Calgary. If you live there be aware.

The feds have prohibited things like gravity knives, balisongs, and switchblades. All under the aegis of preventing gangs and crime. For day to day stuff you have too look at what your city says. IF you don't live in the city then you're pretty well in the tall grass already.

Back