Are Katanas legal in New Jersey?

Hello. I originally put this podt up on the knife laws section but nobody has replied so I figured I'd try here. Below is the original post. Thanks.

I was wondering if it's legal for me to own and keep in my home a Katana. This would be what they call a fully functional one which is used for the art or practice of cutting things such as bamboo, beach wood mats, etc. They are very sharp and can be lethal.

I checked out this link and a couple others I found in a post:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/nj.txt

But all I get is the legal mumbo jumbo. After reading all this it seems to say it's legal to own (since it doesn't seem to be on the list of speciffic illegal items) as long as it's not used for illegal purposes. As far as transporting it however, that is even more unclear.

Can someone please translate that legal stuff for me and just let me know 2 things. 1)Can I keep it at home to practice cutting, and 2)Can I transport it to a friend's house to also practice cutting?

Thank you very much in advance and have a great day,
mm00659

It would probably be fine to keep in your home. You'll want to be careful about transporting it. In a locked case in the trunk would probably be ok. You don't want it anywhere in your car where it's easily visible and/or readily accessible.

You can own it and you can transport it. New Jersey is more concerned with menacing behavior than the blade itself. For example, we have no specific blade length restriction on pocket knives/folders for adults.

For your own safety and the security of a valuable item, of course don't leave it where it would tempt a thief, but it is not illegal to own or transport.

Sorry, but one more question.

How about practice cutting in my backyard in view of my neighbors in New Jersey?

I suppose I can legally do that. But what if the neighbors get scared and call the cops? Is that anything I can be arrested for? What about getting my house searched? That's not something for which they can search my house is it? Thanks.

THAT depends on your neighbors and the political sensitivity of the local police. Technically they can't just search your house, but if it's a small town and one of those neighbors is a councilman, they can get a warrant easily enough.

I would suggest you get to know your neighbors so they understand you're not a weirdo who just moved in and let them know about your sword hobby so the first they learn of it isn't you in the backyard scaring the dogs. :)

Hello, I have a question on here, even though this thread is older, I just want to see if someone will respond. For this up and coming Christmas, I bought my boyfriend a Katana. He very much likes collectibles, and already has a few sweet looking knives, but I thought it would be badass to get him one. I bought one and it is getting shipped here, I just wanted to know if it'll get taken away because it's a sword. It's not like anyone is going to use it for illegal matters (i.e. hurting someone), just to sit there and look pretty. Can anyone answer if they know if it might?

Folks, the police aren't psychic. There's not some magical way they'd know you'd have anything unless you broke the "Cardinal Rules", which are:
Don't go wildly waving said object outside/in plain view and loudly cry "LOOK AT MEEEEE!" (-this includes ALL martial arts "demonstrations" whether performed by Professionals or non-professionals, and whether or not the actual phrase "LOOK AT MEE/THIS/HOLD MY BEER" are uttered.)

Don't call everyone you know to brag about it, in fact, the less people that know, the better.

Something cannot be "Taken away" if nobody knows it exists in the first place.

Now, if you're asking us .. "Is there a place where my Boyfriend can safely and without harassment swing a large sharpened object around like a Bi-Polar Conan the Barbarian?, like maybe my backyard? Because that's what we wanna do, we just need to hear from ONE person the Cops won't be called.."

I'd advise bail Money. Find a dojo.

;)

Last edited:
Back