Are knife laws enforced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Yes knife laws are enforced.

B) A screwdriver makes an excellent ice breaker. Second to only the tequila sunrise.

I had a friend who was a cop. He offered me a switchblade he had taken off someone he had searched. I didn't take it. We had an interesting conversation. I was surprised it wasn't officially recorded as evidence or something. He said they never charged the guy and typically didn't. They would just take the knife and keep it themselves. He justified it by saying he was doing the guy he took it from a favor by not charging him.
This was in Lowell Massachusetts.

I had a friend who was a cop. He offered me a switchblade he had taken off someone he had searched. I didn't take it. We had an interesting conversation. I was surprised it wasn't officially recorded as evidence or something. He said they never charged the guy and typically didn't. They would just take the knife and keep it themselves. He justified it by saying he was doing the guy he took it from a favor by not charging him.
This was in Lowell Massachusetts.
Haha. That’s more along the lines of what I figured.

1) Yes knife laws are enforced.

B) A screwdriver makes an excellent ice breaker. Second to only the tequila sunrise.
Good sir, we needed this thread to discuss knife laws being enforced (and where).

On topic, yes, they are enforced. My guess is wherever they have knife laws, they enforce them. Either as add on charges if they catch you doing something else or depending on the officer if he sees you breaking some knife law.

I'll share a story, I downloaded the knife rights app on my phone and supported Doug Ritter and then I had access to lots of knife laws.

Then you get stuff like legal/but against policy --- for example, it's legal to carry a fixed blade in California, but most grocery stores will kick you out if they see it, or call cops and have them hassle you

Good sir, we needed this thread to discuss knife laws being enforced (and where).

On topic, yes, they are enforced. My guess is wherever they have knife laws, they enforce them. Either as add on charges if they catch you doing something else or depending on the officer if he sees you breaking some knife law.

I'll share a story, I downloaded the knife rights app on my phone and supported Doug Ritter and then I had access to lots of knife laws.
Are you making assumptions or do you have some first hand experiences?

My anecdotes:

1) Never been approached by a cop asking about a knife. My experience is that they've got bigger fish to fry, unless you're being an idiot with it.

2) Was pulled over one time in Kentucky and asked if I had any weapons on me. I said no. He said "no knives or anything?" I said: "I have this pocket knife (started to reach for it) but it's not a weapon." He said: "Don't go for it!" So I said "Oh, sorry." "Nothing else?" "No." Reprimanded me for speeding, sent me on my way.

3) Brother was pulled over in a Chicago suburb a year or two ago. Bro was acting shady; he's bipolar and was off his meds. Probably half-drunk, too. Cop asked him about knives and weapons. Brother said he had a knife, but no weapons. Cop asked to see the knife. It was an OTF auto, which was illegal at the time. (I believe it still is) Cop confiscated it and sent him on his way. Bro was bitter about it; felt like it had been stolen.

As others have alluded to, cops were more strict and likely to enforce the letter of the law many years ago than now. They're so under-manned and un-supported by the government these days that they have to pick their battles, and some schlub carrying an illegal knife is not even on their radar unless he's doing something else too.

In California where I live any knife over 4 inches must be worn on the exterior, goes for both fixed and folding

I don't know where you got that from, but under California state law there is no requirement that folders over 4" be worn openly. And ALL fixed-blades, any size, must be worn openly.

There are a few individual counties/municipalities that have blade length limits on knives carried openly (yes, I said openly), folder or fixed, but even in those places there are exceptions to those limits (work, recreational activities, religious worship).

Under California state law manual folding knives of any size can be carried concealed as long as they are carried closed.

As far as knives and members of law enforcement, I've been a biker for the past 37 years here in San Diego, and I look the part. And during these past 37 years I have openly carried fixed-blades and folders (belt sheaths, pocket clips) on the street, in all manner of businesses (stores, restaurants, shopping malls, etc), and I have never had anyone call the cops on me, nor have any of the countless LEO's I've encountered or crossed paths with ever said a single negative word to me about my knives.

Here's one of my more memorable "experiences"- I walked into a fast food joint one night, wearing full leathers, and a large fixed-blade hanging on my belt. The place was empty, except for the six cops sitting at a table, having a meal break, talking and laughing (I knew they were there, I walked past their cars to go inside). I walked right past their table, just a few feet away from them, and up to the counter with both the cops and my knife on my right side. I placed my order, and stood there, just a few feet away from them, knife fully visible to the cops. When my food was ready I turned and walked out. Not one cop said a word to me. I will add that both my knife, and how I was carrying it were perfectly legal.

I was actually quite surprised that none of them said a word. I thought that there might be at least one in the group who might want to try and impress or entertain the others by giving the biker with a knife a hard time, but nope.

I think when it comes to knives and how LEO's react to knives, and how far they go to enforce knife laws, depends a lot on what the person with the knife is doing, their attitude in general, and their attitude towards the cops, as well as the personality of the individual cop. Naturally if someone is engaged in suspicious or clear criminal activity the cops are going to react to an illegal knife, or a knife carried in an illegal manner, but if it's just an ordinary citizen going about their business, a cop might choose to ignore a violation, if maybe for no other reason but to spare themselves the hassle. Of course there's always a risk when breaking the law, and it's always possible that you run across a cop who is a stickler for the law.

Last edited:
I don't know where you got that from, but under California state law there is no requirement that folders over 4" be worn openly. And ALL fixed-blades, any size, must be worn openly.

There are a few individual counties/municipalities that have blade length limits on knives carried openly (yes, I said openly), folder or fixed, but even in those places there are exceptions to those limits (work, recreational activities, religious worship).

Under California state law manual folding knives of any size can be carried concealed as long as they are carried closed.

As far as knives and members of law enforcement, I've been a biker for the past 37 years here in San Diego, and I look the part. And during these past 37 years I have openly carried fixed-blades and folders (belt sheaths, pocket clips) on the street, in all manner of businesses (stores, restaurants, shopping malls, etc), and I have never had anyone call the cops on me, nor have any of the countless LEO's I've encountered or crossed paths with ever said a single negative word to me about my knives.

Here's one of my more memorable "experiences"- I walked into a fast food joint one night, wearing full leathers, and a large fixed-blade hanging on my belt. The place was empty, except for the six cops sitting at a table, having a meal break, talking and laughing (I knew they were there, I walked past their cars to go inside). I walked right past their table, just a few feet away from them, and up to the counter with both the cops and my knife on my right side. I placed my order, and stood there, just a few feet away from them, knife fully visible to the cops. When my food was ready I turned and walked out. Not one cop said a word to me. I will add that both my knife, and how I was carrying it were perfectly legal.

I was actually quite surprised that none of them said a word. I thought that there might be at least one in the group who might want to try and impress or entertain the others by giving the biker with a knife a hard time, but nope.

I think when it comes to knives and how LEO's react to knives, and how far they go to enforce knife laws, depends a lot on what the person with the knife is doing, their attitude in general, and their attitude towards the cops, as well as the personality of the individual cop. Naturally if someone is engaged in suspicious or clear criminal activity the cops are going to react to an illegal knife, or a knife carried in an illegal manner, but if it's just an ordinary citizen going about their business, a cop might choose to ignore a violation, if maybe for no other reason but to spare themselves the hassle. Of course there's always a risk when breaking the law, and it's always possible that you run across a cop who is a stickler for the law.
Thank you for clarifying, I was parroting something I remembered reading a couple decades ago,

I have carried all manner of folders, mostly, and some fixed blade/sheathed folders here in LA. This includes the Espada XL, folded and clipped in pocket, concealed in a bag, worn in a belt sheath... never a problem, never pulled over for a knife. That would be crazy, very unlikely. I have never been pulled over while not engaging in some kind of idleness or in the presence of fools, so not since being a teen. I have a very loud outward physical appearance too, being a long haired metal guy. No problems or public reactions. I'm a calm, cool guy. My most "shocking" knives are all legal.

I have carried autos for work convenience, a UTX 75 (it is over a certain length, 2.5in) until I lost it and now a Boker USB, almost the same knife but in coincidentally a legal length.

^Think you mean the Utx-70 which is 2.4" last time I checked. Gosh I miss mine and loved carrying it all the time but could only do so at home given the length is over 2 inches. There was one time I think took it out in public but only because I forgot it was on me! :eek:🫣 The sucker is so light and handy too. What a shame just under .5 inches makes the knife go from legal to illegal. 😭 Honestly it makes no sense to me when hand guns and rifles are fully legal.

As far as will the knife laws be enforced? I imagine so but guess it varies area to area. I always thought about what harm it might do to carry an auto or two out on a hike but then deemed not worth the risk. I'd say the odds would be pretty low they would get confiscated or even I would run into and cops or police but never risked it. Sometimes I do worry and wonder about is should a break in or home invasion occur and my pocket knife or knife on me is used in the process of self-defense, would I end up on the wrong side of the law or bars given half of the knives I carry at home are auto or butterfly or something.

Growing up in NY, 80's-90's, it depended on the officer you got and the knife. Some were fine, even nice about it, most you'd get is a "put that away" or "bring that home", even for a knife that was illegal, if you weren't doing anything really wrong. The most common was the informal confiscation, they took it, and maybe they kept it or maybe it went into the station house trash. And you went home and cried about it, but were a little happy because you didn't have to waste time with tickets, etc.... The last was the full ride, every bit of the law was enforced, sometimes with glee if the person was a known ne'er-do-well.

Never really worried outside of the 5 boroughs.

2000's that all changed, I can almost picture it in my mind when it seemed to change over. Late Summer 20-25 years years ago, there was a stabbing spree by a nut on the trains using a S and W Swat style folder, the media was in a uproar, and the Mayor (Bloomberg) seized on it to "make the city safe". First it started as what looked like a sweep that would be over after a few weeks, but then it became a good way to boost numbers. So you saw it more and more, and the ridiculous flick test started being used (I never saw it during my young years, back then it was the 4" or double edge check almost exclusively).

Now, 20+ years later, the Knife Rights campaign has knocked a lot of the wind out of NYC's sails about folders, but you will still see stops for visible clips, Switchblade/AO, and dangerous knife/instrument / felon with dangerous knife/instrument. Side note, becareful when using the transit system in NYC. It has a few different rules than the city, and that's where I still see and hear about heavy policing the most.

Long winded way to say "It depends" I guess :).

Last edited:
Interesting, perfect example. I don’t know that I would follow them if there was little to no risk of being bothered by the police. And of course I’m not out committing other crimes as well.

I respect that you do, curious as to why?

The legal limit is 3.15" where I live, so, on one hand, I want to be able to pull out and use a knife in a public space without worrying about what others might think or without spooking anyone. I love my Small Sebenza, Chaparrals and other gent's folders. A 3" blade is enough in an urban setting, where, in the disappointing absence of zombies, cutting cardboard is the most I do with a knife.
Also, no matter what, I always have a MiniChamp on my keychain with two extra blades.

OTOH, this changes a bit in the cold months when I like to add a fixed blade, a Military or a Chief in my coat pocket, only because I find larger knives easier to handle with gloved hands. But I will observe the circumstances, be reasonable and use the secondary, smaller knife when in doubt.
Also, rural folks, me included, will still carry and use an axe/machete, a larger camp knife, a hunting knife or whatever the specific tool is they need for the tasks they want to accomplish outdoors. Nobody will check the knife in your tackle box.. In actuality, 99% of my unconstrained knife use happens, where it matters, at my homestead/hobby farm.

The legal limit is 3.15" where I live, so, on one hand, I want to be able to pull out and use a knife in a public space without worrying about what others might think or without spooking anyone. I love my Small Sebenza, Chaparrals and other gent's folders. A 3" blade is enough in an urban setting, where, in the disappointing absence of zombies, cutting cardboard is the most I do with a knife.
Also, no matter what, I always have a MiniChamp on my keychain with two extra blades.

OTOH, this changes a bit in the cold months when I like to add a fixed blade, a Military or a Chief in my coat pocket, only because I find larger knives easier to handle with gloved hands. But I will observe the circumstances, be reasonable and use the secondary, smaller knife when in doubt.
Also, rural folks, me included, will still carry and use an axe/machete, a larger camp knife, a hunting knife or whatever the specific tool is they need for the tasks they want to accomplish outdoors. Nobody will check the knife in your tackle box.. In actuality, 99% of my unconstrained knife use happens, where it matters, at my homestead/hobby farm.
Well said and makes absolute sense. Thanks for the insight.

Asking for individual anecdotal evidence of enforcement of knife laws isn't a very good way to get real answers about the subject. In my city (because the state law is different) I have been asked about knives on my person due to extenuating circumstances(not me breaking any laws) and they took my knife until we parted ways. In the next city over (a college town) the laws are different and strictly enforced, zero fixed blades are legal to carry in any manner and they pat you down for any and all police encounters. I was a witness to an incident and they patted me down and were unhappy to find my perfectly legal pocket knife, no charges but many admonishments. New York City has a well deserved reputation for charging people for carrying knives and will absolutely stop you and charge you if they see a pocket clip, there are many documented cases even very recently. In addition in NYC they have arrested and charged chefs for carrying their work knives in a chefs knife roll in a backpack while actively on their way to work(well documented case). Every city , state, federal building and hospital in my area has metal detectors and security looking for anything like a weapon and we are a overall relaxed area with lots of outdoorsman and construction workers that carry so I wouldn't push it in other places. I would suggest Google over asking here because this is a hobbiest hangout and we tend to be much more careful about causing ourselves trouble over something we love, so we tend to seek out the local a state laws pertaining to our hobby and not just find out in the moment.

Do cop’s even have that authority to stop someone just to ck their pocket knife?

Aren’t there limits against search n seizure without a reason or is just having that clip on the outside of your pocket enough for them to stop n frisk?

It depends on the county, the LEO and your behavior. Much like you can always be stopped for reckless driving, even if you don't break a traffic law.

Are you prepared to fight it legally, if they don't have the authority ?

Also, forget them stopping you, say you have a traffic accident, and somebody has to check your cloths .... will the knife you carry matter ?

If you behave "normally", predictably and respectfully, LE will leave you alone, they have other stuff to do. Some of them might be knife nuts themselves :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back