are switchblades legal to carry in florida

I thought the ban on automatic knives was national. you have to be military or law enforcement to own one.

I thought the ban on automatic knives was national. you have to be military or law enforcement to own one.

No, this is not the case. There are states where they are legal to carry. In Texas, they are legal to own, but not to carry other than on your own property. IIRC, the Federal law is about importing and selling.

This link may help you find out the laws in your state. You also need to make sure to check the laws in your city or county. For instance, here in Texas, San Antonio has some very strict knife laws that are different from most of Texas.
Knife laws link; www.autoknifeworks.com/statelaws.aspx

Nice link.It has Fl. as yes to possess and yes to carry.
The laws change alot.You use to need a CWP to carry an auto knife or any knife beyond a "pocket-knife" which I believe was interpreted loosely as 4 fingers.That was my understanding anyway.Probably a good idea to have a CWP if you have to deal with law-enforcement.Many don't know the laws and are willing to let a judge figure it all out which is a pain in the butt.

I was told by three vendors at a gun and knife show a few weeks ago, that autos were legal to carry in FL. Of course, they are trying to sell knives. I read through the laws to confirm for myself, but without being a lawyer, they are hard to understand. The only thing that I found that specifically mentions automatic knives states that they are not defined as a weapon since the blades are not ballistic. Does that mean that they are legal to carry? Who knows???

Autos are legal to carry in Florida--you just need a CCW permit to carry them concealed. So basically as long as it's in a pouch on your belt then you're fine--at least that's how I understand it. :)

Autos are legal to carry in Florida--you just need a CCW permit to carry them concealed. So basically as long as it's in a pouch on your belt then you're fine--at least that's how I understand it. :)

yep :thumbup:

FL has not state statute targeting autos or bali's. however, FL state statute defines anything "other than a common pocket knife" as a "weapon" and CONCEALING a weapon, in FL w/o a permit, is a misdemeanor. FL has no state statute against the open carrying of edged weapons (swords included).

so... carrying one, openly, is legal. carrying one concealed, with a permit (our permits apply to non firearm weapons) is legal. carrying one, concealed WITHOUT a permit, will depend on whether or not the cop who finds it considers it a "common pocket knife"

yep :thumbup:

FL has not state statute targeting autos or bali's. however, FL state statute defines anything "other than a common pocket knife" as a "weapon" and CONCEALING a weapon, in FL w/o a permit, is a misdemeanor. FL has no state statute against the open carrying of edged weapons (swords included).

so... carrying one, openly, is legal. carrying one concealed, with a permit (our permits apply to non firearm weapons) is legal. carrying one, concealed WITHOUT a permit, will depend on whether or not the cop who finds it considers it a "common pocket knife"

I guess that we now have to question what the defenition of concealed is. If the knife is clipped inside of your pocket with the top 1" and clip clearly visible, is it concealed? :confused:

taken from leg.state.fl.us

(3)(a) "Concealed weapon" means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person

i would feel comfortable calling a knife, of which only the clip was exposed, concealed. i almost NEVER arrest ANYBODY for simply having something (other than hard drugs), i tend to stick to arresting people who are actually doing something :)

t
i would feel comfortable calling a knife, of which only the clip was exposed, concealed. i almost NEVER arrest ANYBODY for simply having something (other than hard drugs), i tend to stick to arresting people who are actually doing something :)

Yea, but what would the prosecutor say about that exposed clip. Not saying that I would want to have to go through the hassle of legally defending myself after being arrested for a conflict over the definition of exposed vs concealed, but that one is win-able for the defendant. That's why in FL you should just get a CWP so you don't have to worry about debates such as these. Thankfully you've got the big picture about who to arrest though. Either way, I appreciate what you do.

RS

Nice link.It has Fl. as yes to possess and yes to carry.
The laws change alot.You use to need a CWP to carry an auto knife or any knife beyond a "pocket-knife" which I believe was interpreted loosely as 4 fingers.That was my understanding anyway.Probably a good idea to have a CWP if you have to deal with law-enforcement.Many don't know the laws and are willing to let a judge figure it all out which is a pain in the butt.
You can open carry any size switchblade, folder or sword for that matter in Florida now. You can open carry a switchblade no matter how big but conceal carry is under 4". You can even strap a bow and arrow set on your back, lol. FLORIDA MAN, lol

Co
yep đź‘Ť

concealed 4" or under. Open carry, no size limit. Love tht you included the sword!

Conceal carry 4 inch or under and as long as you want open carry, 13" Frank B, NP, A Katana... Florida is awesome
not entirely. the one set of state gun/weapons laws currently don't cover knives. it was left out. meaning it allows cities and counties to have their own ordinances, that have to be followed if they exist. they are very hard to find, ive tried. some have them and some dont.

state law is one thing...city and county ordinances are another. the case law of a folding knife under 4" defines it as a pocket knife and not a weapon. pocket knives aren't illegal or weapons under state laws. its a good ref but always consult a weapons lawyer for correct information for the areas you're in and travel to in the state.

most police and sheriff offices are clueless to their city and county ordinances, I know as I've called and asked and most do not know. some ref state laws and some just do not know. remember a police officer can enforce what they believe is the law and let a judge sort it out, meaning be careful as things aren't always so clear and cut. going to court to have a judge sort it out isn't cheap or quick.

not entirely. the one set of state gun/weapons laws currently don't cover knives. it was left out. meaning it allows cities and counties to have their own ordinances, that have to be followed if they exist. they are very hard to find, ive tried. some have them and some dont.

state law is one thing...city and county ordinances are another. the case law of a folding knife under 4" defines it as a pocket knife and not a weapon. pocket knives aren't illegal or weapons under state laws. its a good ref but always consult a weapons lawyer for correct information for the areas you're in and travel to in the state.

most police and sheriff offices are clueless to their city and county ordinances, I know as I've called and asked and most do not know. some ref state laws and some just do not know. remember a police officer can enforce what they believe is the law and let a judge sort it out, meaning be careful as things aren't always so clear and cut. going to court to have a judge sort it out isn't cheap or quick.
You're nit picking. The statement i made is followed throughout the state so there's no issue. any fixed blade open, any length included are swords. 4" sb IN POCKET WITH PERMIT, OPEN CARRY any size. Now carrying one in a bar is different. Only pocket knives and not to be used in a abnormal/dangerous action.

You're nit picking. The statement i made is followed throughout the state so there's no issue. any fixed blade open, any length included are swords. 4" sb IN POCKET WITH PERMIT, OPEN CARRY any size. Now carrying one in a bar is different. Only pocket knives and not to be used in a abnormal/dangerous action.
not nitpicking, rather stating the reality in more detail. not true on your 4" case law. look it up per city and county and see what you see

I suggest you read all of chapter 790 of the Florida state statutes. The link above will take you right there. Florida knife laws are very vague- a "common pocketknife" (FSS 790.001.13) is not a weapon, but there is no definition as to what a common pocketknife is. I saw someone say that it's legal to open carry any bladed tool/weapon, but that is based on the assumption that because it's not specifically condemned in the FSS that it's legal. IMO, carrying a sword around at a mall or something will still likely get you arrested. I've done a lot of reading on this section over the years to make sure I'm not breaking any laws, and eventually I decided just to get a CCW permit to be safe.

not nitpicking, rather stating the reality in more detail. not true on your 4" case law. look it up per city and county and see what you see
I've done this. I live inbthe most liberal city in the state of florida. Im a knife dealer and travel the entire state of Florida for 20 years and in that time i have not ran into ANY person, cop, ATF, or knife dealer that has told me differently. Although the laws change from time to time the consensus is the same as i posted throughout this great state as to NOT complicate things any more than they already are. You can read this, read that. One thing contradicts another. Its ridiculous. I stand by my initial reply regardless of your over detailed view that is not followed County by county

I've done this. I live inbthe most liberal city in the state of florida. Im a knife dealer and travel the entire state of Florida for 20 years and in that time i have not ran into ANY person, cop, ATF, or knife dealer that has told me differently. Although the laws change from time to time the consensus is the same as i posted throughout this great state as to NOT complicate things any more than they already are. You can read this, read that. One thing contradicts another. Its ridiculous. I stand by my initial reply regardless of your over detailed view that is not followed County by county
been here much longer than you. im from here. the laws are the laws and ordinances are ordinances. what you said isnt true. sorry, that upsets you.

leaving these important details out is wrong, until they change the state laws to one set of laws for knives and they havent yet last I looked. hopefully they will, but what i said is accurate. like it or not. write to your state congress member and get them to sponsor the changes. im all for it. I write often myself.

Back