Are These Pieces Salvageable

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
These are both annealed 154 CM.

Blade length is 4 3/8”
Thickness is .182”

You can see problems with the profiles, but I don’t know if those are deal breakers: 1. The tangs might be too narrow and 2. There are 90 degree angles at the transition point between tang and blade, where a curved transition would be better.

Of course there is a gash at the top of the bevel on the one. The gash does not cut into the spine, but it almost does.

I just want to know if these can still be made into useful knives.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IMG_8363.jpegIMG_8366.jpeg

-Andy

I'm sure this is salvagable.
I would move the end of the ricasso forward, and that should give you some room to make a fillet. I would also reduce the height of the blade, since it seems to me it is disproportionally tall given its length.
It's also still quite thick so you can skim a little bit of each side, reducing the thickness and getting rid of the "gash" near the spine.

Something like this? Hard to say what kind of knife you are going for. I'm trying to show in the superimposed image that the new blade outline fits in the current one...
XGGRMKM.png

I'm sure this is salvagable.
I would move the end of the ricasso forward, and that should give you some room to make a fillet. I would also reduce the height of the blade, since it seems to me it is disproportionally tall given its length.
It's also still quite thick so you can skim a little bit of each side, reducing the thickness and getting rid of the "gash" near the spine.

Something like this? Hard to say what kind of knife you are going for. I'm trying to show in the superimposed image that the new blade outline fits in the current one...
XGGRMKM.png
Wow very nice

I recommend on the next one, use a finer grit belt, things happen slower

On this one ? File and hand abrasives to do the fix, you can see how it will go better.
I think there's quite a bit of thinning that will happen by the time you get down to having the scratches out

This might become a WIP thread. Here they are again.

Thickness of the top one is .122" and the thickness of the bottom one is .143"

Blade width of the top one is 1.10" and blade width of the bottom one is 1.14"

53578881791_6ed56ec254_h.jpg

Those tangs look skinny. I'd play it safe and use a single block of strong handle material.

Good safe btw

Mortise tang for the handles..
Make the handle how you want is from a different piece of steel , trace the tang onto the handle and cut out only for the tang to fit it ... if you work slowly
you can get it perfect and solder the handle to the tang

Back