Are Tommi/Rhombic style puukko's supposed to be zero grind or have a microbevel?

rileybassman1

Gold Member
Title says it all... have a new Malanika Puukko... it's amazing! With the high scandi grind - tommi or rhombic style grinds, is the goal to sharpen like a traditional scandi along the entire grind, or, as it looks like this one has, is there supposed to be a very small (like less then a mm) micro bevel? Or some combo of both... periodic full grind sharpening with maintenance being stropping the microbevel?

Thoughts?

i think thats the great thing about the rhombic style, you really can do either, as you prefer and you'll be well served

honestly just stropping should get you what you want ... rarely need to do any more than that

need to get one in 3v ....

honestly just stropping should get you what you want ... rarely need to do any more than that

need to get one in 3v ....
Thats generally how you get the tiny micro bevel - zero grind, a few higher angle passes on the strop....thats all you need.

FbYXi52.jpg

Most people are afraid to sharpen as a zero grind since it scratches the flats, hence they compromise with a zero grind. It's quicker too.

Hi, I know this thread is from last year, but does anyone have updates on how the sharpening method worked out? I just got a Malanika, and I have the same questions/concerns… should I sharpen, home and strip it to a zero-flat (V) like a “true” scandi? Danijel (Malanika) suggested just focusing on the microbevel, but I honestly prefer a zero/scandi… I’d love to hear if your thoughts have changed after using it for a while. Thanks!

Depends on how you use it. A zero grind will be sorta fragile. The micro-bevel will help keep your edge from chipping and be much easier to maintain.

I would just use it and keep up the micro bevel, then over time, flatten the primary grind and start over as needed.

[I'd go with what the maker says. He knows what works best with his knives, why try to second guess him?]

Yes and No. Short answer : because you are the user. It's your knife and you can shape it to your use. Putting a micro-bevel to the edge is not defiling a knife. However, if you are keen on keeping it original, don't touch it. Don't even use it, because field sharpening will slowly induce a slightly convexed edge... Anyway, these knives are users so the "integrity" of the original design is not exactly a point, I suppose.
I have many knives in several grinds : full V grind, V forged + sabre grind, scandi grind (which is a sabre grind, basically), hollow grind, sabre grind... Now, honestly, I sharpen / hone all of them regularly with a 20 ° angle on the belt sharpener. It produces a convex 20 ° angled micro bevel. The thinnest blades with steep sabre grind angles get more durable edges, while still being amazing slicers, and it works also for more robust blades. In the end, you are just micro-bevelling, so if the results don't please you can easily go back to the original scandi angle. To add : my Mora Classics work way better with the 20 ° micro bevel.

Last edited:
Back