Aromatic woods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by JTB_5, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    Olive smells fantastic when you are working it, but I just sniffed this one and can’t detect any odor just 2 years later:
    [​IMG]

2. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    That’s a smell from how the wood was used, not from the wood itself, but it is still cool for that. I suppose you could infuse a hard wood and then use it. Not sure how long the scent would remain.

3. sceva

sceva Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2002
    It looks great too, very interesting grain. I don't have a knife with this wood but I do have some revolver grips.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    i did say it was not natural to the wood

5. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Right, me too. But thinking of the sucker rod, which took up the smell of the oil it was used to extract, I suppose you could accomplish the same thing with an intention to use the wood as a carrier of aromatic scents.

6. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    This is a Randall 23 in Thuya. I can't really smell it when it is in the Big Open, but when sealed in a case for awhile, it.... stinks. rt6.jpg

7. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    :D:D

Sometimes no smell is preferable to smell.

8. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I think I'll pull some of my wood scales and soak them in Gentleman Jack.... I'll keep you posted....:p

Elgatodeacero and JTB_5 like this.
  9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Back to Juniper. I don't know which variety is used for making knife-handles, but the Junipers that grow here grow slowly and can survive in bleak dry and cold:eek: habitats. I suspect the Juniper the French use is similar as it's fairly arid, windy and bleak in the Midi in winter. The wood is very rot resistant, is more or less insect proof and is extremely durable and it retains a great fragrance. I knew somebody who imported and used Juniper for lining his sauna, we usually use birch or some pines. The smell was astounding and it resists damp very well, cost a fortune though :eek::D

Can't think of other woods that could be used as a durable fragrant handle, the resinous pines/cedars etc are all soft unlike Juniper. Where would Gin be without the Juniper's berries?;) They're also used in sauces for game meats .

Prester John likes this.
  10. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    I love juniper, but it has gone up in price over the last few years. I hope it isn't becoming scarce.

11. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    Sandalwood can have some interesting grain
    [​IMG]

Live oak smells better and doesn't burn as hot.

JTB_5 likes this.
  12. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    It is also a good moths repellant.

JTB_5 likes this.