Arts & Crafts

killgar

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been taking a bit of a break from knives lately, but I wanted something to keep busy. I was sitting around my shop one day, looking at the multitude of various fasteners and random assorted hardware I've accumulated over the years, and the idea just hit me for this little guy. I've never made anything like this before, so it's a first time for me.

As is often the case it was a lot more work than I expected (a ridiculous amount of work actually). And the funny thing is, I'm not even into robots. As I was making this, and the hours dragged into days, then weeks, I kept thinking "Why am I doing this?? I need to have my head examined". But now that it's finally finished and fully assembled for the first time I'm developing an affection for the little guy.

If you have any artsy-craftsy stuff you've made feel free to post them. Don't be shy :) .

Most of the parts are made from scratch. It's 100% metal. Copper, aluminum, and stainless steel. The three sections of the body are held together with a 10-24 bolt that runs through all of them and secured inside the pelvis with a nut. Aluminum spacers separate the body sections. I disguised/decorated the head of the bolt with a little antenna I made out of a screw, nuts, and washers, drilling a hole down into the bolt and lightly hammering the end of the "antenna" screw down into the hole. It stands about 5" tall.

Pd6aM5k.jpg

The arms/legs/ankles are jointed so it's semi-poseable. Getting the joints loose enough to be moveable, yet tight enough to firmly hold their position was particularly tricky.

ZC9y6Dq.jpg

tVbFZ6j.jpg

Hope you enjoyed :).

Last edited:
Back