ASAP spring assist question

I've been looking at the new Sirus,does anyone have one yet?Also,can anyone explain the operation of the knife?Does it open via thumbstud or flipper?How does the safety operate?Thanks.

I just looked at a Rush with the assist mechanism today. The safety is meant to keep the blade from opening in your pocket, so you put the safety on when the blade is closed by simply moving a lever on the back of the knife behind the assist lever. Opening the knife using the thumb stud was difficult since you're actually working against the assist mechanism. Also, I found closing the knife took more of an effort than with a normal one hand operation via a thumb stud. I'll probably get a Sirus with the ATS 34 steel, since I think it's a good EDC for the price, but the assist mechanism is nothing more than a novelty in my opinion.

The knife can be opened via thumstud or "flipper" at the top of the handle. The safety can be actuated in the same motions as opening with one hand. Closing is also done easily one handed.

I personally prefer the 297 BK- All Black with textured handles.

-Josh

I really prefer the Sirus with the closed handle (298gy with ATS 34 steel) over the Tempest; and the Rush is a little too small for my liking. Perhaps the ASAP assist mechanism takes a little getting used to, but when I handled it at the store the closing, and the opening via the thumb stud offered more resistance than normal. The ASAP mechanism itself is very easy to use and the safety is in a very convenient location. Perhaps with practice one could get used to the difference.

The best way to use our spring assist is to use the part of the blade that sticks out near the Safety lock.. Flip the lock open, then reach up with same finger and pull on the blade. This will make it quicker than opening lock and repositioning it to reach thumb stud for release. Also if you have ever tried to dig out a thumb stud to open a knife while wearing gloves, you will appreciate a spring assist used in the method I proscribed..

Jeff

Thanks for the tip Jeff, my wife just ordered a Sirus model 298gy for me for my birthday so I'll be sure to try it when it arrives. :)

Back