Attention Ask Ontario

Yes, the entire SP line is now made of 1075 steel.

The 5160 SPs were the first project I ran at Ontario and I had pretty much total control over the design, material selection and heat treatment of the knives. I'm glad that you managed to get one.
I hope this isn’t beating a dead horse, but I‘m a big fan of the 6420 Kukri Knife/machete and was wondering if it will be included in the switch from 1095 to 1075? I honestly think I would prefer 1075‘s slight increase in toughness. Of course in a perfect world, Ontario would offer it in 5160…..

Thanks!

The 6420 Kukri is now made of 1075 steel which is a better choice for a knife of this design. 1075 is much tougher than 1095 and a kukri usually is involved in a lot of hard chopping (at least mine are).

Mr. Maragni,

I have a question and a comment.

Comment:
- The SP line in it's entirety is/was one of the best and most comprehensive line of knives ever offered.
- It is clear you applied your knowledge of blade history, offering some classic designs even to include some of Bagwell's designs.
- There is also your take on classic designs not specifically associated with any one individual, i.e. a kukri, a "Marine Raider", etc.
- There are some great new designs, the SP-8 being a good example.
- There is some commonality of handles, but also not when not appropriate, again Bagwell being a great example.
- You paid great attention to the steels used and heat treatments.
- In some cases, you offered both flat grinds and saber grinds in the same blade profile. Everyone had their favorite grind!
- I plead ignorance to everything you have done in the industry, and I am certain there are some great achievements other than the SP line. But that line alone would be enough to cement a man's place in the industry. It was clearly something you were passionate about getting right. I'm not sure people appreciate it as much as they should.
- Congratulations!
- I wish I had had the knowledge and resources to pick up on some designs that are no longer offered.

Question:
I know the SP-8 is now 1075. What was it previously, and was it ever offered in 5160?

Thanks so much for being here and answering questions.

The 6420 Kukri is now made of 1075 steel which is a better choice for a knife of this design. 1075 is much tougher than 1095 and a kukri usually is involved in a lot of hard chopping (at least mine are).
Excellent news. Thanks!

Mr. Gun Doc- Thank you for your kind words. My involvement with the SP line began with the Gen II series so I was not involved in the design of the initial SP models. I was also not involved in the Bagwell knives, I was working for Cold Steel at Camillus Cutlery at the time. I enjoyed playing around with cross sections in the second generation of the Gen IIs and did it to offer a variety of performance characteristics in each model. As we know blade geometry is the primary factor in blade performance and it should come as no surprise how different each model performed with the change in cross section (especially the SP-53 Bolo). I also wish I had the foresight to pick up some of the Gen II 5160 designs before they were discontinued, they disappeared much too fast.

The SP-8 was initially made from 1095 unfortunately it was never made from 5160.

In 2007 I was hired by Ontario as an independent contractor and I thought that I should write up a resume for them (first time I ever wrote a resume). In response to your question about things I have done in the industry I contacted Ontario and asked them to post my resume which they did today. If you are interested you can go to the Ontario website, go to the "About" heading, click on "Designers" in the drop down menu and a blurb about me and the resume will come up. If you have any questions about anything in the resume please do not hesitate to ask me about them.

I understand at one time Ontario was making the old SS scaled "US" stamped "Demo" knives for the US Military. Can you tell me if they ever occasionally order those, or do they even use / issue that knife anymore? I think it would be awesome if Ontario started making those again as it is a classic and one of my personal favorites, but new production made to original specs is hard if not impossible to find.

I am sorry about the delay in responding but my internet connection has been down (one of the disadvantages of living in the country) and it took me a while to figure out the problem.

I am not familiar with the knives you are referring to so as far as I can tell there have been no recent orders for them and I don't think they use/issue such a knife anymore. I will try an research this further and would appreciate any information you can tell me about these knives. When were they available, were they variants on models still produced, what are the "old SS scaled" model, is there a picture or any other material that may help me identify them.

I am looking forward to getting deeper into this subject. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I am sorry about the delay in responding but my internet connection has been down (one of the disadvantages of living in the country) and it took me a while to figure out the problem.

I am not familiar with the knives you are referring to so as far as I can tell there have been no recent orders for them and I don't think they use/issue such a knife anymore. I will try an research this further and would appreciate any information you can tell me about these knives. When were they available, were they variants on models still produced, what are the "old SS scaled" model, is there a picture or any other material that may help me identify them.

I am looking forward to getting deeper into this subject. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Hi Dan, the "demo" knife is the old standard military issue Scout pattern -

post-70-1311817305.jpg

It's also cataloged as "Knife, Pocket, General Purpose" Mil-K-818. I don't think Ontario had an official version, but Queen did have a contract for them in mid 80's. A bunch of the old New York firms did also. Plus rebranded versions for commercial sale.

The NSN number is 5110-00-162-2205.

Edit - I see a reference that Ontario might have offered a version around 2010 ish.

Edit 2 - Ontario's full line catalog 2009 -

ontario-Mil-k.jpg

Old retail listing - https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ON8980/Ontario-Steel-Camp-Knife-Multi-Tool-3625-inch-Closed .

Last edited:
Thank you for the information and now I know which model you are interested in.

As you showed in the catalog supplement the knife was produced by Ontario not long after I started there in 2007 and it was called the "Camp Knife". This was based on the multi-tool folder which the military issued particularly in survival gear and which I first saw in the late 1960s. My father worked for an aircraft company which included the knives in the life rafts on the aircraft and the survival kit/rafts would be replaced every few years and the old kits discarded (hence I wound up with the knives). Ontario did revive the model for the commercial market and I believe used the prints and tooling that were originally from Queen. I also saw the knives being manufactured at Camillus when I was working there in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

I will contact Ontario and see if they have any plans to resurrect this model.

Dear Dan,

I won an auction of a 2021 Woodsman with DeSantis Sheath.

I recalled DeSantis Sheath was no longer available to OKC after 2017 (maybe I was wrong). Could you please help identifying which steel is this Woodsman? 420SS?

More photo here: click

Thanks.

GAW-9306.jpg

Dan,

I have an SP53 Bolo and would like to know what year Ontario transitioned from 5160 to 1075. Admittedly, I haven't read this entire thread, but have briefly skimmed it.

My particular knife is showing (*on the box) as a "Gen II SP-53 Bolo Knife", with a production date of "Feb. '21".

Is my knife 5160 or 1075?

*Thanks in advance.

Dear Dan,

I won an auction of a 2021 Woodsman with DeSantis Sheath.

I recalled DeSantis Sheath was no longer available to OKC after 2017 (maybe I was wrong). Could you please help identifying which steel is this Woodsman? 420SS?

More photo here: click

Thanks.

GAW-9306.jpg
Hi, congrats on the auction win. Most were made with 420SS and have a slightluly rounded spine. The original steel was 5160 and had a sharp 90 degree spine. Is the spine slightly rounded off? I like this blade, would you sell it?

Dan,

I have an SP53 Bolo and would like to know what year Ontario transitioned from 5160 to 1075. Admittedly, I haven't read this entire thread, but have briefly skimmed it.

My particular knife is showing (*on the box) as a "Gen II SP-53 Bolo Knife", with a production date of "Feb. '21".

Is my knife 5160 or 1075?

*Thanks in advance.
Unless I’m mistaken all 5160 SP’s were clearly marked with the steel type.

Here’s a picture of a SP-53 that I sold some time ago showing the marking.

Bottom knife is an SP-43 also marked with the steel type.

1684331376158.jpeg

Hi, congrats on the auction win. Most were made with 420SS and have a slightluly rounded spine. The original steel was 5160 and had a sharp 90 degree spine. Is the spine slightly rounded off? I like this blade, would you sell it?
the spine edge feels sharp to touch, but looks rounded off in pictures.

GAW-9339.jpg

Mr. bramley02- Mr. Boru13 is correct, all the 5160 blades made by Ontario had the steel designation laser etched on the blade. The blade of your Woodsman is 420SS with the minimum carbon content of the steel specified by me to assure a blade which is flexible not malleable (I have seen many 420 blades with insufficient carbon content which will bend).

Back