Asperger's Syndrome

There's a joke -- more like an assertive speculation -- around my workplace that the head of programming has full-on asperger's. Undiagnosed, I am sure, but he fits every definition of it I have ever heard.

He's brilliant, though, and makes a whole lot more than I do... Sometimes a very specific challenge will just force an individual to exceptional things because of that "limitation."

I teach Special Ed and deal with Asperger's classified kids all day long. I'm a first hand witness to students who have made great social progress. Patience and love will produce results.

Really, the "other" kids don't have fully developed social skills. At some point your child's progress will meet with their tolerance/understanding. When you see that happen (I promise) you will weap with joy. Many parents are tempted to home school Asperger kids but this is a big mistake. All of us must go through some pain to learn our life lessons. It is hard to see your loved one go through that process but (with your help) that is the pain you must endure.

You have a good kid with talent and potential. Your son may or may not get a PhD in math and work in a multinational corporation. He may or may not work in the Post Office. My personal theory is that God has a plan for him.

A simple twist of fate.....shortly before his 14th birthday last summer, my son was diagnosed with Asperger's. Ironically, my wife completed her Master's in Spec Ed with a focus in Autism at almost the same time. It has been a long struggle and road. Years of requests to his Schools for testing, 504's and IEP's all denied for 7th and 8th grade, because he wasn't failing academically. He has had social skills issues since 2nd grade, and many other trademark signs of Asperger's, but it has taken several discipline issues in school and Scouts, 3 acute and 1 residential mental health placement to get the answers. Today we were in JDR Court, dealing with the fallout of yet another inappropriate education placement, denied IEP, same old routine. We got the case continued till April, so we can get neurological testing and give his Court Appointed Lawyer a chance to prepare. The last year has been a hell of a challenge, to say the least.

indeed, life throws some rough ones at us, mainly so people like you can prove how awesome they are by handling it like this, keep it up

DaddyDett. Stay the course man. Eight years after that first post of mine, after a lot of tears and worries, my son is working as a computer developer, lived on his own in his own apartment for a year, now lives with a friend in another apartment. He has had his job in a small computer programming company for about 2 years now, loves his job and gets paid fairly.

The thing is he found that "thing" that interests him and gives him focus. His generalized studies weren't working, but he went to the high school's technical program which was a lot more hands on and not so much lectures. It helped him a lot. All the sudden he found that his interest in computers was something to go to school for and apply himself. His socialization has greatly improved, which is a result of maturity in large part. From like 10-16 he was very immature for his age, but now at 22 he is actually the most mature of his small group of friends. We were "lucky" in the sense that his behavioral issues were more him going into a shell than lashing out, so we didn't have those types of problems. We did have 12 years of my wife in tears after EVERY parent teacher conference because he wasn't doing his work, wasn't participating in class, etc.

Good luck and be consistent. We had a lot of push back on the 504 plans, not in a "legal" sense but just because the admin. and teachers didn't want to be bothered. We never had to go to court, etc., about it but we did have a lot of phone calls, letters and every year going to meet with the administration and all of his teachers so they knew up front what he was entitled to and what we expected of them. We also found that most (not all) teachers who say that they want "involved" or "engaged" parents mean that they want someone who will bake cookies for the bake sale, not a parent who is involved in making sure that their children are getting the attention that they need to succeed.

My 14 year old son was just "diagnosed" I guess is what you'd call it as having asperger's syndrome. Does anyone have any experience with it?

His standardized testing revealed overall high ability with the composite score being in the 98th% of all 9th graders with reading and writing comprehension and math knowledge at the college freshman level. He gets D's in english and can barely pull C's in everything else but math. My wife and I were on him every night to study and do homework. He wasn't left to his own, thats for sure.

In some ways its a relief. We knew he was smart but couldn't apply it and hopefully we can now get some information that we can use to help other than just yelling at him to work harder!

Also, his socialization skills are poor. Thats another "symptom". He gets along great with everybody but his peer group. He gets bullied a lot. It used to kill me when I went to pick him up at school and he was sitting at a cafeteria table all by himself.

I'm not really looking for anything specific; just wanted to express myself to my friends here. Thanks for any info if you've got it though.

I was diagnosed with it years before anyone even heard of it. It apparently runs on my biological father's side of the family and one of my nephews from that side has it also. I just heard that recently. Honestly if anything it can be an advantage. In fact some studies seem to think it evolved from warring chieftan tribes of peoples due to the traumas of daily life and clan clashes which were historically gore beyond anything imagined today and hands on! The brain has to respond to that kind of shock. I mean imagine the times of Doggerland.

Imagine incase you don't know what Doggerland was that it was a ancient land of Nordic peoples and this land existed before a cataclysm that sunk what was already thought by many to be a swamp area or bayou like marsh land. It sunk in a series of catatrophies. Three of them. These catastrophes seem to have produced lines of people, mostly Northern European in decent that exhibit this autism syndrome. The 23 and me web site and membership is not what it used to be. Due to my condition and studies I was already involved in due to Aspergers (concluded now) I was invited to get in on the ground floor so to speak for the Human Genome project. I have access to records and things they cannot give out now by law because some of it was so controversial it was, well shut up. The DNA doesn't lie. It tells a different story of things at times and some don't want to hear it.

Anyway, getting back to aspergers. They have some stuff up still on it but nothing compared to what they could have shown you before deep pockets got into the thing with lobby groups blocking medical records through FDA and other agencies participating in it through regulation. In short it is probably an advantage. Many forum goers, particularly the ones that don't get seen personally probably have it as we do better this way according to the studies. Dealing with people was a challenge for me. I'm somewhat of a 'Sheldon Cooper' at times and things get missed, not because I'm stupid but I just sometimes don't get sarcasm or jokes and other times I do and just don't find them funny so my blatant honesty has been a problem.

Early in life when aunts would ask things like, do you like what Ruth did to my hair? I'd blurt things that would be honest but, well, not socially nice so I'd be promptly corrected by my mother. My aunt says, that to us and I said something to the effect that I think she should be really mad at Ruth mussing up her hair all like that! Of course my aunt was flabbergasted. Such is the syndrome though and the good news is I wasn't bothered ever by emotional baggage that most people carried. In some regards this makes me seem cold if people don't know me. Its why you don't see me out at shows much to be honest and its why I don't take part in much in the way of Ok. knifemakers goings on as its just awkward and uncomfortable as hell for me. I'd sooner slide down a sand bank naked!

Earlier in life it was not as bad. I was a bit social. Had some issue with large crowds and cramping but not bad. Mostly I learned over time to hide the discomfort but I made myself do my job. It was difficult dealing with people particularly in sales but I did it for 22 years and I did it well running a territory much like I run my shop now. Ask anyone how efficient that runs. Go ahead ask. :) My territory was a clock. To give you an idea of the clock and Aspergers I'll fill you in on me. Watch me you can see it in action daily. Its what keeps me regular and by that I mean its not choice. Its how it has to be or I make it so.

Example of Aspergers. Steve had a territory. Every two weeks he was rotating. He went from Hugo Ok south to Iola Ks. north. Ponca City Ok, west to Springfield Mo east. And to Broken Bow and Idabell Ok east south. I had approx. 200 accounts in that territory, 50 of which I took exceptional care of. Each one a practicing dentist that bought both supplies, equipment, and service of said equipment from me. I was not just in their office every two weeks. I was in Antlers Ok at my first call one Mon at 8 am. Sharp! I was in Hugo right on time each time mostly like I said. Clock work. Things come up and before the days of cells I was still managing to keep my next appt. up to date if something happend. It got so regular that on the day of my accident when I nearly died in a head on collision that changed my life in 1998 that it was one of my offices that first noticed Steve did not show up! That simply did not occur and so phone calls began. They tracked me down and it was due to being someone suffering from Aspergers. Otherwise no one would have known to look and call where I just was and even travel the road to see if they saw me. They did. In a ditch rammed up against a tree. I retired from dental not long after that. Not right away but things were changing at that time anyway and I was contemplating a change anyway so the time seemed right and after two totaled vehicles (brand new ones!) one of which I only paid one payment on before ruining I figured a million biz miles was enough! Odd were looking bad so I came here! Aren't you all so lucky!? Don't answer I may not like the reply.

Seriously the syndrome has its advantages. It can drive your partner crazy but I married one just as bad so we are quite the pair and we match up pretty good to each other even if we are somewhat Hermits.

DaddyDett. Stay the course man. Eight years after that first post of mine, after a lot of tears and worries, my son is working as a computer developer, lived on his own in his own apartment for a year, now lives with a friend in another apartment. He has had his job in a small computer programming company for about 2 years now, loves his job and gets paid fairly.

The thing is he found that "thing" that interests him and gives him focus. His generalized studies weren't working, but he went to the high school's technical program which was a lot more hands on and not so much lectures. It helped him a lot. All the sudden he found that his interest in computers was something to go to school for and apply himself. His socialization has greatly improved, which is a result of maturity in large part. From like 10-16 he was very immature for his age, but now at 22 he is actually the most mature of his small group of friends. We were "lucky" in the sense that his behavioral issues were more him going into a shell than lashing out, so we didn't have those types of problems. We did have 12 years of my wife in tears after EVERY parent teacher conference because he wasn't doing his work, wasn't participating in class, etc.

Good luck and be consistent. We had a lot of push back on the 504 plans, not in a "legal" sense but just because the admin. and teachers didn't want to be bothered. We never had to go to court, etc., about it but we did have a lot of phone calls, letters and every year going to meet with the administration and all of his teachers so they knew up front what he was entitled to and what we expected of them. We also found that most (not all) teachers who say that they want "involved" or "engaged" parents mean that they want someone who will bake cookies for the bake sale, not a parent who is involved in making sure that their children are getting the attention that they need to succeed.

Nice to hear of the progress and results, Shann.

Best wishes for continuing success for your son.

Thanks. Although there is a long way to go (he is only 22 after all), his success is the one thing that makes me happiest in this world. We were just so worried about his future all the time. Six months before high school graduation, I was hoping that I could get him in at the local furniture factory where I used to work and figured he'd be living with us forever. If that made him happy it would have been okay with me, but I'm glad that he had broader ambitions.

I know that a lot of it is luck, but I take pride in the fact that as parents, we did a good job raising him. He still likes to come home and spend time with us which a lot of 22 year olds don't want to do. I also know a lot of good people who tried their best, and their kids still ended up on drugs or in some kind of trouble, so he gets all the credit.

I havnt been on hear in a while.i have a 7 year old with pddnos autism,some other diagnosis I cant pronounce,cant read or write but were trying,just got pulled out of regular class a few months back and is in a 1 to 10 special ed class now.regular weekly and by monthly trips to schmeiding center for thereapy,has helped,but he is on medication now to try and control his mumbling and hand flapping.im having a hard time with people,looks and remarks, because he acts up,like at walmart or even church, ,but its a part of me and my wifes life now.and he is a super kid.my daughter just got married too a few months back,Evan misses sissy lots..good luck to you all.

Never been good at expressing feelings. Don't even have many feelings beyond the basic ones, hunger, cold, ... .
Thought that's a guy thing and not a disease. :D

Shann, thanks for sharing.

What a great and supporting community we have here. This forum as so many unsuspected things to offer.

One of my best friends has an autistic child. Prior to meeting him I assumed all autistic people were like Rainman. Talk about being embarrassing ignorant on a subject. I didn't realize there are multiple degrees, his son is highly functional (best word I can think of), plays sports, etc.

The idea of any child being bullied kills me, that has to be devastating. If you haven't, make sure you talk to the administrators and make it clear your child's not going to be bullied in their school.

Best wishes!

Back