Assisted Knives v.s Flipper Knives .

sgt1372 sgt1372 Did you try taking the scales off, packing some heavier grease (vaseline works in a pinch but may leak out if it gets too hot and liquifies), not oil, in the cutout that holds the bar/spring, replacing the bar in grease and then reassembling? That usually stops the rattling and the assist still works fine.

It usually rattles because the grease from the factory has dried up or leaked out...

No didn't know or try that.

There was no grease in the 0566 which is probably why it rattled. Actually like it better w/o the spring in it; better matches the 0560 and 0562 that I also have which were already manuals.

Last edited:
Same here; whether assisted by a torsion bar or spring.

The only problem I have w/certain assisted knives is that the assistance spring is loose and rattles. This generally isn't a serious enough problem to bother me but it was so bad in my ZT 0566CF that I removed it and thereby converted the knife to a manual. Still works fine but obviously requires a little more effort to open.
I had the same issue in a standard G-10 0566. I run it manual now, and its a solid little flipper.

I'll never buy a speedsafe knife ever again. Just bad. They make them cause it's popular among non knife people. Flippers are much better. Tho I do prefer thumbstuds overall, preferably if it can be flicked open and middle finger flicked open.

The blur I have is the only one that has a decent on close for speed safe. My zt 0770cf I hate because of speedsafe.

Closing knives with speedsafe is the killer for me mostly.... But those torsion bars break alot too.

If ZT would deign to make the 0770cf in a non-assisted version, I'd be all over it. It's too bad the CF version just doesn't work well without the torsion bar. Its such a light knife, the assist nearly rips it out of your hand. Loved everything else about it.

Reactions: Mo2
I'm good either way. The majority of my ZTs are on barings, but my hardest used ZT is a 350. I've taken it apart one time in the years I've had it simply because I was curious as to how it worked. I don't see any issues with either.

I'm shopping for a new impulse buy ZT this morning. I'm not really going to be bothered if it's a flipper of AO. I'm actually leaning toward an AO simply because I haven't bought one in a good while.

I have never had a torsion bar break and have been carrying Kershaw and then ZT's for years...I have had some that developed a rattle but a little grease fixes that right up.
Torsion bar is the way to go because of its much simpler design. I have a SOG Twitch II and it is a nightmare in terms of complexity compared to my Kershaw Dividend. The draw back is that you can't close it one handed, but you can certainly open it without the "intimidating" thwack that comes with some assisted openers.

My only issue with assisted knives is closeing them. I don’t like the opposing force when closing.

I’ll take a good flipper over an assisted knife.

Personally I prefer a good thumb stud/hole/disc. I have a zt 0566. Deassited, flipper tab removed.

Ham-hands here... As one prone to accidental finger slicing, I no longer carry or use any assisted-opening knife that opens with a high-end or such... (looking at you, Barrage) because, as I push with my thumb, the blade opens with my thumb too close to the sharp edge - I have to then clean blood off of the blade (or risk rusty serrationd)

I much prefer the controlled opening of a Spyderhole....

No didn't know or try that.

There was no grease in the 0566 which is probably why it rattled. Actually like it better w/o the spring in it; better matches the 0560 an 0562 which are themselves manuals.
Good deal, some of them run as manuals better than others...

Like both AO's and flippers. Took me a good while to get a flipper, but I have come around to them. My ZT 0770 CF is probably my favorite AO. I won't de-assist it as some have.

ZT's are obviously made by Kershaw. They are just a step up in their line and mostly very good knives if you are comfortable with the size.

I prefer a smooth action and don’t particularly like the resistance of closing an assisted knife. Which sort of stinks because Kershaw has some offerings that I like the look of (Dividend). On the flip side, I don’t own any flippers either. So I can’t comment much on those. I own a few BM and I can use those like a flipper.

Back