Assisted opening knife ban

I have been receiving the following letter from some very reliable sources. If you can please print out the letter, sign it and send it in. Please make sure the letter gets there before Sunday June 22nd.

Thanks,
Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop.

US Customs has denied any and all requests for an extension for groups to prepare and gather information on why US Customs should not pass the new legislation to reclassify all assisted opening models into switchblades. The wording they are using in this new proposed legislation can also be in all probability applied to any one hand opening knife, meaning any regular folding knife with a thumb knob, thumb hole or flipper mechanism that can be opened quickly. We need everyone to act quickly and to send in letter to US Customs opposing this legislation. Below is some sample letters and other information such as where to send these letters. Please also contact your senators and congressmen concerning the impact this will have on all of our livelihoods. If we do not act decisively and quickly the knife business as we know it will be drastically changed, PLEASE HELP.

All comments on 19 CFR Part 177 must now be to Customs via snailmail by June 21 (but that's a Sunday so please get yours there by June 20 or sooner).

KTI has created model letters for both individuals and companies on our website (AKTI.ORG). Use them as a guideline. Tell your story. Clearly, calmly explain your views of how this will impact your business or you as an individual. Don't worry if it is too long. Tell your story.

Let's get your employees to the AKTI website so they can sign up FREE to be a Grassroots Supporter. That's where we will communicate with them on how they can save their jobs and this industry.

Here is where to send the letters:

19 CFR Part 177
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Office of International Trade, Regulations and Rulings
Attention: Intellectual Property and Restricted Merchandise Branch
Mint Annex, 799 Ninth St. N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20229

Here is an example of the letter and individual can write:

19 CFR Part 177
Washington, D.C. 20229

RE: Opposed to 19 CFR Part 177

To whom it may concern:

I am asking you to reconsider your proposed revocation of the importation of assisted-opening knives as outlined in 19 CFR Part 177.

I am a knife owner. I am not a criminal. I use a folding knife for utilitarian purposes. (Your personal story.)

Your proposal, 19 CFR Part 177, is so broad in its proposed definition of a switchblade knife that it would outlaw multi-tools, traditional pocket knives, one-hand openers, and assisted-openers. Quite frankly, the size and style of a knife has nothing to do with any criminal intent.

Your proposal would make defacto criminals of me and more than 35 million other Americans who carry and use some type of utilitarian knife that opens with one hand. We are not [UTF-8?]“thugs and [UTF-8?]delinquents” as you try to portray us in your proposal letters. We use knives on the job in law enforcement, as EMTs, firemen, military personnel, construction workers, hunters, fishermen and women, hikers, bikers and gardeners. We use knives to save lives, to make our jobs and recreation easier and safer.

Your proposal would put America deeper into an economic crisis. There are nearly 4,000 people directly employed at the manufacturer/importer level in the U.S. sporting knife industry. Another 19,000 people support them by providing materials, packaging and shipping services. There are hundreds of distributors and retailers who would be adversely affected and many would go out of business. The industry generates nearly $1 billion annually at the manufacturer level and nearly $6 billion of total economic impact.

Sincerely,

(your name and contact information)

Here is an example of a letter a company would write:

Washington, D.C. 20229

RE: Opposed to 19 CFR Part 177

To whom it may concern:

I am asking you to reconsider your proposed revocation of the importation of assisted-opening knives as outlined in 19 CFR Part 177.

I am the owner/manager of a company in the U.S. sporting knife industry. Our company [name] is [describe business].

We sell knives as tools and generate $[amount] annually. Our {number] employees earn [dollar amount] in wages and salaries.

Your proposal, 19 CFR Part 177, is so broad in its proposed definition of a switchblade knife that it would outlaw multi-tools, traditional pocket knives, one-hand openers, and assisted-openers. Quite frankly, the size and style of a knife has nothing to do with any criminal intent.

Our customers are not criminals. They use folding knives for a broad range of utilitarian purposes. But 19 CFR Part 177 would make defacto criminals of more than 35 million law-abiding Americans who carry and use some type of utilitarian knife that opens with one hand. These are not [UTF-8?]“thugs and [UTF-8?]delinquents” as you try to portray in your revocation proposal. They use knives on the job in law enforcement, as EMTs, firemen, military personnel, construction workers, hunters, fishermen and women, hikers, bikers and gardeners. They use knives to save lives, to make their jobs and recreation easier and safer.

Your proposal would put America deeper into an economic crisis. There are nearly 4,000 people directly employed at the manufacturer/importer level in the U.S. sporting knife industry. Another 19,000 people support them by providing materials, packaging and shipping services. There are hundreds of distributors and retailers who would be adversely affected and many would go out of business. The industry generates nearly $1 billion annually at the manufacturer level and nearly $6 billion of total economic impact.

Sincerely,

(Your name and contact information)

Back