At what point do you start panicking...

madcap_magician

Farts rainbows.
Platinum Member
... about USPS tracking?

I have been sending and receiving knives by USPS Priority Mail for nearly 20 years with no problems.

Two months ago, I won a charity raffle for a custom 1911 build, which theoretically would be the nicest gun I'd ever own. No way am I ever going to afford to buy something like this, it's an $8-9,000 build.

Well, at the end of last month, it gets finished, and gets sent Priority Mail Express on February 28 to my FFL. March 1, it's at an Ohio distribution center, which it departs at 10 p.m. with scheduled delivery of March 3 by 6 p.m.

And as of today, March 6, 2023, at 9:18 a.m., that was the last time it was scanned in the USPS system. Priority Mail Express is guaranteed delivery on the scheduled delivery date, so the postage is already refundable. I am not a panicking sort of person, but at this point I have Extreme Concern about my gun.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.

I also picked up a WW2 Colt 1911A1 from a private seller in Vermont, who had a local FFL who was handling shipping. I sent that dealer a copy of my dealer's FFL certificate... and that dealer mailed the gun... to the mailing address on my FFL's certificate, which is not the dealer's shop premises (he owns three gun store/ranges in Minnesota, and the premise address for the FFLs is the storefront, but the mailing address must be an office or his home address). The owner is dealing with some medical issues, and I have no idea what the nature of the address the gun was mailed to is - is it an office? A home? Is there anyone there to sign for a package? The location of the FFL it should have gone to is literally a stone's throw from my back yard and about a mile away driving. The location it was sent is nearly an hour and a half away near one of his other range locations.

That package, of course, is sailing through scans merrily on time despite my and the sending FFL's frantic efforts to get it redirected.

So now I have one gun MIA in Ohio, and a second gun that I have no idea if or how I can actually retrieve it. My best hope really is that the WW2 Colt ends up undeliverable because the mail carrier can't get a signature, and it gets returned to sender and then can get addressed properly. The worst situation I think is that someone is there to sign for it, but that they don't know what to do with it and it can't be logged in or transferred out.

I keep telling myself I am not a panicking person, but this is roughly $12,000 worth of guns that somehow my entire life's allotment of bad luck with shipping is getting cashed in on.

I completely understand your panicking. I always had my expensive watches (up to 30k) shipped priority overnight with full insurance via Fed Ex. Since thatā€™s not what happened here I guess I would give it today and then if nothing by tomorrow start making calls. Good luck. May the Force be with you.

Some internet sleuthing gives me a high probability that the owner of my local gun shop has several LLCs and uses his home address as the business mailing address for all of them. Can't seem to find a phone number for the guy, and irritatingly my LGS is closed on Mondays. My second gun is out for delivery at his home address today. šŸ˜¬

p8h66gq0mjn71.jpg

Back