ATS-34 thickness prior to heat treat?

I just ground out a small Loveless style bird and trout out of 1/8" ATS-34. This pattern is a very light duty desighn with a 3.5" blade.

I'm not real fond of hollow grinds, but since I just got a Coote with an 8" wheel and a hollow grind goes well with this desighn I thought I'd give it a try. Well the grind came out nearly perfect, just one problem. The tip, also the thinist part of the blade, is only about .015 thick. I normaly leave carbon steel a lot thicker and a flat or convex grind on stainless I take to about .012 but the metal above the edge thickens up.

Should I send this off for heat treat or scap it and grind anougther with a thicker edge? The point is .015" for about 3/8" then starts getting thicker.

Thanks

send it to heat treat. you can always drop the tip a little more if you need to after clean-up

I don't know how big the birds and trout get there but for us here I consider a bird and trout knife to have a shorter blade than your 3 1/2 inches. I do my deer with 3 1/2 inch blades. I just wonder; could you profile the tip back a little(?). Is the handle too long to make it look okay with a shorter blade(?).

RL

I would go ahead and HT the blade. If after HT, you still think it will end up too thin, just shorten the blade a little. No sense to waste a good blade, just because it didn't exactly match the pattern.
I guarantee someone will love it.:D

I'll probly go ahead and have it heat treated, though with this pattern and grind style I cant realy shorten the blade with realy screwing up form and funtion.

Oh well, it'll probly be the only hollow grind I do for some time.

rlinger, I was guessing on blade length, I just stuck a tape to it and it comes out at 3 1/8". Sorry about that, got used to filleting those 200lb. catfish thats in every creek over here.:D

Will
It's going to be pretty thin by the time you get
the skin off if it's already at .015
and it may warp on you too but
like said before you can use it by grinding
it into another style if you really want that style
I'd grind another to send along to be safe.

Will probly grind anouther to send just in case, took a little off the tip and think it'll come through OK.

Well see when I get enough ready for heat treat.

Thanks

Back