Audio added to Japanese kitchen knife types Db

Hi All,

Audio support for Japanese kitchen knife types and styles database was completed today. In other words, besides descriptions and definitions now we have their pronunciation in Japanese.

Special thanks to Jon and Sara - japaneseknifeimports.com for spending their time and effort to record the audio. For majority of the entries there is a small speaker icon, which when clicked will display audio player popup and, hopefully it will work ;) Same works in the detail view.
Also, fixed a bug accidentally introduced some time ago, when detail views for the names containing spaces were not accessible.

I've tested on all major latest browsers (FF8, IE9, Chrome 16, Opera 11), 3 different OS systems (Win 7, win Xp, Mac os). That part was the most annoying to be honest, aside form the fact that even latest and greatest browsers differ in their implementation and capabilities of "standard" html5 audio control, which sucks big time.
Support for older browsers was also implemented, however keep in mind to play mp3 or ogg files in old browsers you will need some sort of audio plugin present.

If you encounter problems, please let me know.

And as usual, if you have pix of the knives that are in the database but have no images please share. Or, if you know about a type of Japanese kitchen knife that's not in the db, share the wisdom :)

P.S. For those waiting for the knife steel chart app for the iphone - it's in progress. I'd say ~60% completed.

Great site! I just had the writing on my Al Mar 8 inch Ultra-Chef knife interpreted, and I found out that it is translated as "oryouribouchou."

Here’s the link to the interoperation.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/908881-Japanese-interpreter-wanted-for-an-Al-Mar

Then here’s the link to the Al Mar product page
http://www.almarknives.com/ultrachef-gyuto-83939-p-46.html

Here are a couple of pics that I took of it in case you’re interested in using one of them to depict it on your site.
IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Thanks!
That does look like Japanese chef's knife - Gyuto. Still, the term is different, I'll add to the database. If you don't mind, can you take a pic of the whole knife (top one still has corner cut off)?
I'll PM for copyright and other details.

Thanks!
That does look like Japanese chef's knife - Gyuto. Still, the term is different, I'll add to the database. If you don't mind, can you take a pic of the whole knife (top one still has corner cut off)?
I'll PM for copyright and other details.

Sounds good. Here are a couple more pictures.
KitchenAlMar001.jpg

KitchenAlMar002.jpg

Back