Australia (NSW)?

She worries me, why you out of all the options. To sponsor someone for residency is a big mission. Will have to see how she puts it to you in the interview so to speak.
She is rather introverted and hates most people, but seems to trust me completely. We've been talking every day. I think I'm halfway in love with her. I don't care about her wealth at all. I think it'd be nice just to hang out with her. She is super smart, and I appreciate that.

So, I'm not actually going to be an employee (unless I go through the process of multiple security licenses and certificates, which seems to be at least 2 years for an armed bodyguard license). I'm just gonna do chores around the house, help with her disabled child, play with her guard dogs, cook her breakfast, and keep her safe.

I think it's a good job opportunity. Most of the money from my current job just goes toward bills and food, so working for free seems like an upgrade, lol.

This is correct. Australia’s Police state has beaten the public down so badly on knives, guns, driving, the pandemic that the general public is compliant and pansy-like. They would call the cops on you for j-walking almost. There’s search laws where if the cops want to for no reason they can stop you and have a shake down. It’s the weirdest country. I managed a year of it and returned to NZ where it’s more chilled out and free. I did carry a knife in Oz but they are really only searching 15 year old boys. Just carry a knife and if caught tell them it’s to cut up your apple at lunch you have a sore tooth.
It's hardly a police state. In some ways it's a nanny state definitely. It's not the police or government driving the attitude, it's the general public that has evolved in a society that historically has had very little violence and crime compared to some other countries. Australia is also a country where over 90% of the population(I think, don't quote me) live very urbanized lives and don't understand why anyone would carry a knife unless they were up to no good. Personally I think a lot of the general attitudes here are pathetic but it's not as bad as you make it out to be.
If you were a barber and were going home and intended sharpening your blade. BUT why is it on your person? It should be locked up in a box in your car. The cops there are hardcore.
I don't think you would be in any trouble in that situation if you were legitimately going home to do that, just as you wouldn't be in any trouble if you just bought a 12" kitchen knife from a store and was going home with it.
I seem to have gotten that impression.

Job offer came from a longtime Facebook friend, who turns out to be incredibly wealthy. She currently lives in Sydney but just bought a walled estate in a rural location outside of Byron Bay and would like me to... ummmm... handle the estate's security needs, along with a few other things.

I expressed reservations about relocating to a totalitarian regime, but she seems to think she can take care of all my concerns regarding that, because money and lawyers I guess. Anyway, she's planning on flying out here in a few months to... ummm... "interview" me, and I'm rather looking forward to that, but half thinking it might be in my best interest just to remain here, in my 1 BR apartment in a dying crime infested city.

I dunno... if the interview goes well, maybe I'll just flip a coin.
Calling Australia a totalitarian regime is being melodramatic in the extreme. There are laws that will take getting used to, but you are only looking at it from where you come from. I wonder whether you actually know what a totalitarian regime is. Honestly, if you are just a regular guy in suburbia you will never be searched by police in a million years and if you are careful about not carrying a knife at the airport or at a nightclub etc. you could probably carry a pocket knife every day of your life and have no issue. I'm not saying that's what you should do.

It's hardly a police state. In some ways it's a nanny state definitely. It's not the police or government driving the attitude, it's the general public that has evolved in a society that historically has had very little violence and crime compared to some other countries. Australia is also a country where over 90% of the population(I think, don't quote me) live very urbanized lives and don't understand why anyone would carry a knife unless they were up to no good. Personally I think a lot of the general attitudes here are pathetic but it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

I don't think you would be in any trouble in that situation if you were legitimately going home to do that, just as you wouldn't be in any trouble if you just bought a 12" kitchen knife from a store and was going home with it.

Calling Australia a totalitarian regime is being melodramatic in the extreme. There are laws that will take getting used to, but you are only looking at it from where you come from. I wonder whether you actually know what a totalitarian regime is. Honestly, if you are just a regular guy in suburbia you will never be searched by police in a million years and if you are careful about not carrying a knife at the airport or at a nightclub etc. you could probably carry a pocket knife every day of your life and have no issue. I'm not saying that's what you should do.
My experience living in Australia was that it is a police state (I didn’t say totalitarian). Let’s take traffic laws in QLD for our American friends: You eat while driving $1000 fine. You take a call on your cell $1000 fine. You tuck your phone in your bra without touching it nor making a call $1000 fine. You pay at McDonalds drive through on your apple pay you get a fine for touching your phone while driving. You leave your car running while you passengers take off their seatbelts and get out the car and you get a fine. Your seatbelt or your passengers seatbelt slips down $1000 fine. You go to the municipal dump with a trailer load of garden refuse or whatever, if you don’t have a net or cover over it you get a fine. If you drive with your window down and rest your elbow on the sill you get a fine. You get demerit points deducted from your licence every speeding or any violation on the roads including parking fines. Once they reach 10 I believe, you loose your licence for 3 months. I know this because all the above fine examples have happened to my family who live there. Between my house in Sunshine Coast and my parents house in Brisbane (an 85 mile journey) I counted 100 cameras. They’re checking speed, cell phone use, seatbelt placement, eating etc. Don’t even get me started about the Pandemic police clampdown - the worse in the world as reported in international media. I’m sorry, that is evidence of a police state.

Last edited:
It appears Hollywood has lied to us yet again . . .

View attachment 2544270
Hollywood lies?
She is rather introverted and hates most people, but seems to trust me completely. We've been talking every day. I think I'm halfway in love with her. I don't care about her wealth at all. I think it'd be nice just to hang out with her. She is super smart, and I appreciate that.

So, I'm not actually going to be an employee (unless I go through the process of multiple security licenses and certificates, which seems to be at least 2 years for an armed bodyguard license). I'm just gonna do chores around the house, help with her disabled child, play with her guard dogs, cook her breakfast, and keep her safe.

I think it's a good job opportunity. Most of the money from my current job just goes toward bills and food, so working for free seems like an upgrade, lol.
ooh this could work. Intense conversations everyday. Introverted. Super smart. Hates most people. High functioning autism?

Sometimes ya just have to take the opportunities. You only live once. Byron bay is a very popular place. You can take up surfing.

Last edited:
My experience living in Australia was that it is a police state. Let’s take traffic laws in QLD for our American friends: You eat while driving $1000 fine. You take a call on your cell $1000 fine. You tuck your phone in your bra without touching it nor making a call $1000 fine. You pay at McDonalds drive through on your apple pay you get a fine for touching your phone while driving. You leave your car running while you passengers take off their seatbelts and get out the car and you get a fine. Your seatbelt or your passengers seatbelt slips down $1000 fine. You go to the municipal dump with a trailer load of garden refuse or whatever, if you don’t have a net or cover over it you get a fine. If you drive with your window down and rest your elbow on the sill you get a fine. You get demerit points deducted from your licence every speeding or any violation on the roads including parking fines. Once they reach 10 I believe, you loose your licence for 3 months. I know this because all the above fine examples have happened to my family who live there. Between my house in Sunshine Coast and my parents house in Brisbane (an 85 mile journey) I counted 100 cameras. They’re checking speed, cell phone use, seatbelt placement, eating etc. Don’t even get me started about the Pandemic police clampdown - the worse in the world as reported in international media. I’m sorry, that is evidence of a police state. I hated the rules so much we left after a year.
It's extremely rare though. People here do all of those things everyday and the vast majority never get booked for it. I've never heard of someone getting booked in a drive-through or dropping someone off. That sounds ridiculous. There is a big move to stop people getting distracted whilst driving hence the no eating or using (especially texting) phones whilst driving because stupid people are crashing and killing people doing those things. Stupid people have also been taking stuff to the refuse tip and having it come off on the highway causing accidents and deaths etc hence the rule to secure it properly. Demerit points for parking fines? Not where I am, must be a state thing but that sounds stupid. Do you not have demerit points in the US or NZ or SA?

Not saying I agree with any of it either, but most of those things are based on a nanny-state attitude that emphasizes how stupid people are and how they need rules and fines etc to keep them safe. A police state is a whole other thing. You can look it up if you want but you are being melodramatic calling it that.

It's extremely rare though. People here do all of those things everyday and the vast majority never get booked for it. I've never heard of someone getting booked in a drive-through or dropping someone off. That sounds ridiculous. There is a big move to stop people getting distracted whilst driving hence the no eating or using (especially texting) phones whilst driving because stupid people are crashing and killing people doing those things. Stupid people have also been taking stuff to the refuse tip and having it come off on the highway causing accidents and deaths etc hence the rule to secure it properly. Demerit points for parking fines? Not where I am, must be a state thing but that sounds stupid. Do you not have demerit points in the US or NZ or SA?

Not saying I agree with any of it either, but most of those things are based on a nanny-state attitude that emphasizes how stupid people are and how they need rules and fines etc to keep them safe. A police state is a whole other thing. You can look it up if you want but you are being melodramatic calling it that.
Like I said. Those things happened to my family. I heard more ridiculous stories when I was there last month. One of my sisters friends is a cop. She does duty in some big hall in Brisbane looking at screens with hundreds of other people looking at screens. Filtering I suppose what the AI picks up. London and China the highest surveilled places on the planet. Australia can’t be far behind. I was so happy to leave the place. But very nice for a holiday and a lot better to live in than most other Western countries.

No demerit points in South Africa. And practically no functioning laws. It’s the Wild West. 80 murders a day man. Corrupt as hell from the president to the cops and business. Institutionalised racism only favouring the ruling race. Same old same old. They’ve used Apartheid race classifications for the last 30 years and put all sorts of nasty stuff into legislation. The place is chaos. Often no electricity or water.

NZ has demerit points but only if the cop actually stops you. Camera fines attract no demerits. Parking fines don’t attract demerits. Speeding 4km over and they won’t stop you. Over that and there’s a small fine. There’s one camera on my route A to the city and no cameras in the city and there’s no cameras on route B. The trip is 140 km. My parents got a parking fine in Oz and got demerit points.

No demerit points in South Africa. And practically no functioning laws. It’s the Wild West. 80 murders a day man. Corrupt as hell from the president to the cops and business. The place is chaos. Often no electricity or water. NZ has demerit points but only if the cop actually stops you. Camera fines attract no demerits. Parking fines don’t attract demerits. I eat such

My parents got a parking fine in Oz and got demerit points.

Just type into Google “Australia Police State”. You might be surprised at how much material there is on that idea. Il leave it there. Knifes are my joy. I don’t want to dwell on this depressing distraction. All the best mate. Good weekend.

Not my horse, not my rodeo, but if I were you I would draw up an employment contract that includes at least a reasonable salary for the work you described and covers potential tax implications (note that US citizens living abroad are still subject to federal income tax). Get it signed and notarized, save copies of it and keep the original somewhere safe. Also keep your important travel documents safe and under your control.

The last thing you want is to move across the planet to work full-time for non-monetary benefits, have things turn sour, then have no money or options when you determine that you need to leave. Hopefully that will never happen and you'll get along famously forever. But, if it does, you don't want to wish you thought ahead.

Note that I'm not telling you to turn down the offer, it could be a great adventure. Just keep your wits about you.

Last edited:
Not my horse, not my rodeo, but if I were you I would draw up an employment contract that includes at least a reasonable salary for the work you described and covers potential tax implications (note that US citizens living abroad are still subject to federal income tax). Get it signed and notarized, save copies of it and keep the original somewhere safe. Also keep your important travel documents safe and under your control.

The last thing you want is to move across the planet to work full-time for non-monetary benefits, have things turn sour, then have no money or options when you determine that you need to leave. Hopefully that will never happen and you'll get along famously forever. But, if it does, you don't want to wish you thought ahead.

Note that I'm not telling you to turn down the offer, it could be a great adventure. Just keep your wits about you.
My concerns as well... but I'm 55, recently divorced, and will die sooner than later, so just considering this as a retirement opportunity.

It's like getting to live in a big house, with a family, and never needing to worry about bills. I'll definitely have access to money, but only need it to buy groceries, fill up the petrol tank, and maybe buy a book or a new shirt or something. I never cared about money.

Man. I was in Australia in 1998 and they sure didn't mind knives then. You could buy them anywhere, and I did buy some.
You still can. Just about every camping shop sells knives like Gerber Strongarm, big Muela fixed blades, fishing knives, and all sorts of folding knives including Spyderco. Even some servo's(gas stations) have a knife counter full of knives for sale. You would need to go online to find most of the better quality knives but there isn't currently any restrictions other than being 18 and even that isn't verified on any online stores I have bought from.

It's just carrying them in public that is restricted. And even then, if you have a specific reason for carrying them that's generally fine as well. You just can't EDC most knives for general utility, you need a reason.

For the record I do think it is too restricted here but the general philosophy from the law makers is to give the police powers to curb knife crime and unfortunately the good people suffer the same restrictions because of the bad people. It happens all the time here not just with knives. The honest people are the ones who lose privileges and the scumbags generally ignore the laws anyway. The majority of the general public don't care either way.

Wise advice here.

My concerns as well... but I'm 55, recently divorced, and will die sooner than later, so just considering this as a retirement opportunity.

It's like getting to live in a big house, with a family, and never needing to worry about bills. I'll definitely have access to money, but only need it to buy groceries, fill up the petrol tank, and maybe buy a book or a new shirt or something. I never cared about money.
Maybe check with other ex pats who live there and see how things are going for them.

Drove to the Sunshine Coast from Brisbane for work today (way more fun to do that drive against traffic than with, and now the construction is mostly done it was a clean trip both ways). I saw three unmarked camera locations, all in well-known and obvious locations, as well as the four or five signed cameras (apart from those in the toll tunnels) Not 100. But I promise, I'll let you know if something comes in the mail.

I'll agree that the cops overstep their bounds, also that water is in fact, wet.

If your situational awareness is so rough that you can catch a fine in most of QLD, you are not a safe driver, in my opinion. But I'm biased. I grew up in places where you drove to the conditions for half the year, so speed limits were just there for when the pavement was dry. I've not driven in Sydney and Bris is a smaller city than Calgary, so my comparisons are what they are, but Sydney seems pretty middle of the pack compared to say Vancouver or Edmonton in a snowstorm. You are used to what you are used to.

There are a lot of nice small towns in NSW and to be fair the roads in most of it are far more decent than what I grew up on (not having a freeze cycle makes blacktop much less annoying). Yeah, you might need to toss your blade into the glove box if the pub owner doesn't know you. Again, situational awareness. Also, if the bouncer and bartender know you, well, then the cop is more often than not going on their word.

Byron is lovely... except for the influencers and hippies (I expect they're not fans of grumpy old buggers like me!).

I second what others have said; you can have firearms (long arms easy, side arms much harder) and knives just not for EDC or defence.

I live in Vic and am amazed at the wildness and freedom to hunt public land... coming from the UK that is.

Enjoy the adventure but have a plan, it's a loving swim home

Back