Off Topic Australia on fire

Been following along here. I truly wish all the Hogs and everyone the best of luck down there. I’ve also been following news on this, but today it was even in my local newspaper.

People down here are so desperate for money they're having to sell off their stuff cheap.......

81706564-2906199002757881-6418144869373444096-o.jpg

Sent $200 to NSW RFS. Ordinarily I wouldn’t tout that sort of donation as it seems self-serving to announce it. But I realize I was inspired to contribute by the generosity others here have shown. I think it’s an overwhelming situation and extending a helping hand to our Aussie brothers just feels right.

Also got notice from Amy that matching funds were contributed by Jerry, as well as shop credit back to me, even though I told her no shop credit was necessary. By now I should not be surprised, but the power of Jerry’s generosity never fails to amaze.

Last edited:
Sent $200 to NSW RFS. Ordinarily I wouldn’t tout that sort of donation as it seems self-serving to announce it. But I realize I was inspired to contribute by the generosity others here have shown. I think it’s an overwhelming situation and extending a helping hand to our Aussie brothers just feels right.

Also got notice from Amy that matching funds were contributed by Jerry, as well as shop credit back to me, even though I told her no shop credit was necessary. By now I should not be surprised, but the power of Jerry’s generosity never fails to amaze.
Good for you man. That's super nice of you.
100.00 to each. I hope it helps.
$100.00 Mogo Zoo Fire recovery.https://www.gofundme.com/f/mogo-zoo-fire-recovery
$100.00 The Salvation Army is doing a lot of the disaster and evacuation work down here https://www.salvationarmy.org.au/
You're awesome too man! Excellent.

Last edited:

Will, that's awesome. I'm blown away by the generosity of Hogs !!!!!

And Jerry, thanks for taking the lead, and promoting and supporting the general Hog goodness. You're a good guy. :cool::cool::cool:

Good for you man. That's super nice of you.

You took the lead and, along with the others donating here, inspired me to give. Good on you!

Will, that's awesome. I'm blown away by the generosity of Hogs !!!!!

You're doing the heavy lifting. I only wish I could do more. Just please be careful. No amount of property is worth your life.

Currawong Currawong , just want you to know that I'm seeing a huge increase in conversation about Aus in the news. It's really gaining a lot of traction finally so I hope to see good things come out of it. There was a Hollywood typical back patting awards show Sunday and a light was shown on you folks because of a message sent from Russel Crowe that he was too busy trying to protect his place and help his people - So now those brain dead dummies are making a big deal out of it so the media is picking it up. I think they'd be shocked to know it's been going on for what, 6 weeks now? about $#^&** time someone started to give a sht.

OK, as promised, finally got around to it. Tried to rally family to pool together, but they decided to do their own things - which is totally fine, as long as they do it! So this is just from my wife, my daughter, and myself. Since we cannot be there to physically help, I guess this is as much as we can help!

Donated:
$200 to NSW Rural Fire Service
$200 more to Salvation Army in Australia.
(Both via links provided earlier in this thread.)

Hope it all gets better soon!

OK, as promised, finally got around to it. Tried to rally family to pool together, but they decided to do their own things - which is totally fine, as long as they do it! So this is just from my wife, my daughter, and myself. Since we cannot be there to physically help, I guess this is as much as we can help!

Donated:
$200 to NSW Rural Fire Service
$200 more to Salvation Army in Australia.
(Both via links provided earlier in this thread.)

Hope it all gets better soon!

Dude that's just fantastic. From what I'm seeing down here the government assistance was quickly overwhelmed. Many, many people are literally relying on donated goods and services to survive in the short term. Everything from basic food to nappies to generators. The community has really banded together down here.

Currawong Currawong , just want you to know that I'm seeing a huge increase in conversation about Aus in the news. It's really gaining a lot of traction finally so I hope to see good things come out of it. There was a Hollywood typical back patting awards show Sunday and a light was shown on you folks because of a message sent from Russel Crowe that he was too busy trying to protect his place and help his people - So now those brain dead dummies are making a big deal out of it so the media is picking it up. I think they'd be shocked to know it's been going on for what, 6 weeks now? about $#^&** time someone started to give a sht.

That's good I guess. There's lots of celebrities and 'influencers' donating large amounts of money. Everything helps I suppose, even if there's a bit of marketing and posturing that goes with it.

Was having a talk with my 4.5 yr old... Educating her on what happens when natural disasters like these hit, and what happens to displaced families. That got us to wonder if there's something like a "Teddy bear fund" where we can donate specifically to help give children what they need - clothing and/or a teddy bear, or other basic necessities for physical and also emotional health. Any pointers?

Was having a talk with my 4.5 yr old... Educating her on what happens when natural disasters like these hit, and what happens to displaced families. That got us to wonder if there's something like a "Teddy bear fund" where we can donate specifically to help give children what they need - clothing and/or a teddy bear, or other basic necessities for physical and also emotional health. Any pointers?

So the problem at the moment is that local communities are being inundated with goods that they can't necessarily use, or there is no room to store them. The consistent message is that two things are helping the most: cash donations, and spending money on local businesses (all of which are struggling right now). I'm not sure how to convert this to help for kids.

The Red Cross has resources for parents and teachers to help kids cope: https://www.redcross.org.au/get-hel...rs/resources-for-parents-and-teachers#recover. And you can donate: https://fundraise.redcross.org.au/drr though I've heard from locals they aren't necessarily the most efficient charity at getting funds directly into the community (doesn't mean they aren't doing good stuff however).

Business Council of Australia has started a fundraiser to support the kids of firies who died fighting the fires...

“The trust will be a permanent and ongoing fund to support the children of volunteers who have died fighting these fires and in future disasters.

“The primary focus of the trust will be on supporting children to adulthood with a particular emphasis on their education.

https://www.bca.com.au/business_community_initiatives_to_support_those_suffering - but that seems to be for businesses to donate, not members of the public.

St Vincent de Paul do a lot of work directly supporting families (not children per se) https://donate.vinnies.org.au/appeals-nsw/vinnies-nsw-bushfire-appeal-nsw

That's all I could find. Good on you for thinking about the kids.

Thanks for the resources. I think it was easier for my daughter to both imagine and empathize with kids like her (age). It's a tough concept for a little kid who has never lived through any hardship (we're pretty fortunate). Wish I could say the same for kids over there now... :(

Back