Australian army

I read somewhere that the Australian army issues Victorinox swisstools to its troops .Can any one confirm this and give any more info .

Cheers

Duncan

I think dunc5 is talking abt "The Victorinox SwissTool" You know, the one that looks like a Leatherman?

B0000224UE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Yes i was Ken your right .ive read a couple of places that the swisstool is issued to the Australian army , I recently bought a Alox Soldier which i edc with my swisstool , its great and a great place to start for any one thinking about getting into saks :D

as far as i know they are issued with the swisstool spirit, sich is the small and new version of that, prety cool knife btw.

mcniac

dunc5 said:
Yes i was Ken your right .ive read a couple of places that the swisstool is issued to the Australian army , I recently bought a Alox Soldier which i edc with my swisstool , its great and a great place to start for any one thinking about getting into saks :D

A soldier and a swiss tool??? Why?
Doesnt the swiss tool have all the implements that the soldier has?

ken_nerve said:
A soldier and a swiss tool??? Why?
Doesnt the swiss tool have all the implements that the soldier has?

I too EDC both a plier based tool (currently a Leatherman Juice S2) and a small SAK (currenty a Sportsman). I can tell you why I do this: I like to have the the plier feature, but more often use the SAK as a knife becuase I find using a knife on a plier based tool awkward due to the "double handle" shape of a plier tool.

Also it can be useful on some instances to have a seperate plier and a screwdriver when both are required to get the job done.

And with a SAK (though not with a Soldier) you get the tweesers and toothpick (which can have other uses) as well.

Although they overlap in some functions, it can still be handy to have both at your disposal. Of course, if you are a minimalist or weight is a concern (though most small SAKs do not weigh that much) and do not want to carry two tools then this is not an option. Horses for courses.

Back