• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Australian Ringed Gidgee for sale

Hey everybody,

I have just been out to the property and cut up some more Ringed Gidgee. These blocks are top quality with stunning figure and rich colors. Quite a few that I would class as exhibition grade. They are listed on my website as blocks 450 and above. A couple of new scales as well.

I will be cutting and listing more this week.

Sorry to anyone who had been trying to contact me through the website...we had a technical hitch but it's all sorted now.

Thanks
Peter
The Timber Joint
http://www.thetimberjoint.com

From the website, it appears they are harvesting standing dead trees. Some very nice looking pieces listed at nice prices. My only complaint is everything is listed in metric and aus $$.

Hi guys, Our timber is from dead trees. These are from our outback property and the trees are dead for many years. We estimate some are dead 40-50 years. It is difficult to tell exactly, but the timber is very dry and very dense. The property is from a 12" rainfall area with 100F+ temperature through summer.
I will try to get some measurements up for you in imperial...not sure how to change to $US but will look into it. Right now our Australian $ is at about 90c. So for every $100 spent on our website, it will cost you $90US.
Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter, thank you, not everyone will go to your site so it's your benefit to give as much info as possible. Maybe a pic or two of prime pieces, curiosity will bring more attention.

Same with the US/Aus exchange rate. .90/100 gives a rough idea, thank you.

You have some absolutely beautiful stuff at a great price, I wish you best of luck with sales.

edit; Ha, you posted while I was typing.

google has a handy currency converter. Nice looking blocks!

As you can see it is definitely seasoned timber

It still might be a good idea to check it with a moisture meter. The wood will dry according to the humidity you have. A quick search on wikipedia says you have a humid subtropical climate. If thats the case the wood may need to dry more. The tree could lay outside in your yard drying for another 40 years and it could still need further drying time for handle material.

Beautiful wood though and good prices too. Good luck

The humid subtropical climate is where we live in Emerald, Central Queensland but our cattle property where we get the timber from, is near a town called Quilpie. It is over 600 miles from the coast and has a semi-arid climate, 12 inch rain fall and the last 3 years have been drought. Last year we only had 4 inches in the whole year. Our cattle survive by eating a tree called Mulga because there is never any grass. We will however, get a moisture metre to check the content.
Thanks everyone for your support and we are happy to answer any questions.
I have attached a photo of one of the trees that we have used. You can see the landscape.
Cheers
Peter
View attachment 477150

My guess is this wood is ready to use then :thumbup: Looking forward to trying some soon

So we have tested a couple of pieces and they have come back with a moisture content of between 7 - 8%. So what do you think? Is this what we should be aiming for? What % is considered acceptable in a hardwood?
Thanks for your help.

I just received my shipment of 3 blocks of Ringed Gidgee today that I ordered after their 9/16/2014 post. They are heavy and solid and have great figure. I was curious about their moisture after reading this thread so I tested them with my moisture meter and they are all coming in at 6%.

Thanks rcetroy. We are very excited that our first shipments have arrived in the USA and France. They took 8 working days to get to Troy, Michigan USA and 7 to reach Paris, France.

I fully agree with rcetroy !

My parcel just arrived here in Paris.
The wood is beautiful, very dense, without any defect.
I have not measured the moisture content, but it seems very dry.

Thanks again Peter & Kim.

I received my blocks from the first set about a week ago. Very pretty, solid wood
and well worth the price.

I expect to receive my blocks from the first "for sale" posting any day now. I had little doubt of the seasoning or moisture content knowing of the dry climate in the area where these are harvested . . . and after reading the website which explains that these are fallen pieces. I can't wait to receive mine. I'll post when they arrive for a benchmark for shipping time to Texas.

By the way, it was a pleasure dealing with these guys.

Report:

10 - 11 days shipping to Texas.

I wetted these pieces and the figure looks great and "cat's eye glow" is impressive. I can't wait to use this wood on a knife.

Signing out of this thread.

Mike L.

Hi guys, Our timber is from dead trees. These are from our outback property and the trees are dead for many years. We estimate some are dead 40-50 years. It is difficult to tell exactly, but the timber is very dry and very dense. The property is from a 12" rainfall area with 100F+ temperature through summer.
I will try to get some measurements up for you in imperial...not sure how to change to $US but will look into it. Right now our Australian $ is at about 90c. So for every $100 spent on our website, it will cost you $90US.
Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers Peter
Currency converter http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Metric to murkin. 25mm=1 inch
I guess Burma uses the murkin system ? Liberia I can understand. It and the US carry similar characteristics these daze. The inventor of it was probably stoned on Burmese hashish.:rolleyes:
map%20metric%20jpg

Back