Auto Clip "black" blade question.

I recently bought a Auto Clip with "black" blade.

Is this a TiNi coated blade or were there other "black" blades?- I ask this because in a catalogue I saw the black bladed TiNi knife enscribed with the words "TiNi Hardcased" and these words does not appear on my knife.

Second Ques. - is the TiNi coated blade more rust resistant than uncoated 440A steel?.

Thanks!

Hi Deon,

Only the first generation of TiNi coated AutoClips (maybe a couple of months worth of production) had the lettering you described on the blade. All other TiNi coated blades do not have the lettering. We did produce a Black Oxide coated blade (which looks very similar) for several years. That has been discontinued. If you have the box the knife was sold in, the part number would tell you which you have. If the part number starts in a "T," it is TiNi coated. If the part number starts in a "B," it is a Black Oxide coated blade. One other way of telling which you have, and one I would not recommend, would be LIGHTLY sratching the coating (maybe in an out-of-the-way location). Black Oxide will scratch. TiNi should not, unless scratched abusively.

TiNi coating aids in rust resistance. Titanium is a non-corrosive material. It covers and bonds to the steel, protecting it.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Thanks Ron

I suppose with the TiNi coating and care it would survive saltwater better than a normal uncoated blade - I will try and see what happens.

Back