Autoclip

FPH

I have the Night Vision and the Seal 2000 in the collection and will purchase the Desert Dagger in the next few months. All are fine knives. My wife was intrigued by the Autoclip so we picked one up. I realize this is an inexpensive knife, but (you knew that was coming) I am surprised by the play in the lockup. The side to side blade motion holding the tip and handle is dramatic. This makes the knife unacceptable as a daily carry for her. I replaced it with a MOD Ladyhawk, yeah different price range different style. I am keeping the Autoclip in the collection as a clip style variation example. Just an observation.

------------------
Knife Nut in "flyover country"

Hi FPH,

Thanks for your post. You're very right, the MOD LadyHawk and the SOG AutoClip are in two completely different categories, but, blade play (very slight might be acceptable) is not within factory specs and the knife should be sent in for warranty repair/replacement.

For your convenience, I have included a link to SOG warranty return page:

www.sogknives.com/warranty.htm

I'm sorry for any inconvenience and if there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 01-09-2001).]

Thanks Ron. You inspired me to play knife Dr. With a couple allen wrenches and some Tuf-Glide I managed to take the majority of the play out of the blade. This makes it open a bit hard but within reason. I should have thought of doing this before, duh.

Hi all. I didn't want to bring that up as my first post in the SOG forum but since you brought it up I thought I would reply. I love SOG knives and when I saw the X-42 autoclip at the local store I went to buy it. They had four of them at the store and everyone of them had significant side-to-side blade play. It stopped me form getting one. I love the design of the knife and BG-42 is a great steel. I still want one but there was too much play to justify it. Sorry for being so negative. I really do love SOG knives though. Thanks. -Lev

Four years ago when I started a new job and had to order new tools, I wrote the AutoClip in between the wire cutters and strippers.

Since I didn't pay for it, I really didn't try to take care of it at all. I've beat the heck out it. I've cut rope, sheet metal, fiberglass, apples, coax cable, asphalt roofing shingles & etc. The serrations are still there, but are much reduced..

I once used it like an ice pick to drag myself across ice in a frozen parking lot.
(My ankle was broken in 3 places).

It's a very light knife and the clip is a great feature. It's never fallen out of my pocket.

After a few weeks of using my new X-Ray Vision, I have come to appreciate the light weight and slick pocket clip of the AutoClip.

For now, it's just sitting in my tool box, on call..

[This message has been edited by BladeWalker (edited 01-09-2001).]

Back