Automatic knives are now legal in IL for FOID holders...

I had no idea this was even on the radar given all the other hoopla going on in Springfield. I'm not even an auto fan but I might grab one just to celebrate. And I suppose the FOID requirement is a bearable compromise since most folks into knives and guns would already have one or can get one for ten bucks. One of the first things I did when I moved here was get a card and I don't even have any functioning guns at the moment.

Is a 2,5 inch switchblade legal to carry in Chicago?

From the Chicago Municipal Code http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gate...tes$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:chicago_il :

8-24-005 Definitions.
For the purposes of this Chapter, the following definitions apply:

“Switchblade knife” means any knife with a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife and commonly referred to as a switchblade knife.

8-24-020 Sale or possession of deadly weapons.

(a) No person shall sell, offer for sale, keep, possess, purchase, loan or give to any person any bludgeon, blackjack, slung shot, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles, or other knuckle weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, switchblade knife or ballistic knife; provided that this subsection shall not apply to the purchase, possession or carrying of a black- jack or slung shot by a peace officer.

Does the State Law override the local ordinance?

thanks

Unless it slipped by me somehow, NO. Illinois does NOT have a preemption law, so any ordinance/regulation/law passed at the county or city level that is more restrictive than state law is still in effect.

A lower jurisdiction can always pass laws that are MORE RESTRICTIVE than any level above them, but CANNOT pass a law rescinding or lessening a higher level law.

Only by passing a preemption law at the state level specifically stating that the state law overrides all lower level entities' laws on a specific topic can you have a situation in which the more restrictive laws of lower level are overridden.

Failure to have a preemption law allows a state to become "Balkanized" where an otherwise law abiding citizen can break a law simply by walking or driving across a "line" in the dirt. Massachusetts is an example of such an example.

Back