Autonomy?

When it's not in my pocket, should I be storing my Autonomy with the blade open or closed?

Open. Definitely. It's a switchblade , and if kept close for a long time , the spring could permanently become ductile. That being said , nothing like that ever happened to my EDC Autonomy by keeping it closed. It has a really strong spring. But l have had Other switchblades ( like the Italian stiletto switchblades by Latama ) fail to open after keeping closed in a safe for 1 year. Hope this helps

Also like to point out that it was designed specifically for and with the input of USCG rescue swimmers, in which service the knives will spend most of their time closed.

If they couldn't handle it, stands to reason the springs would have been beefed up or Spyderco wouldn't have won the contract.

They sit closed in their boxes for years waiting to be sold.
Just an observation.

Closed is fine. That would be like saying any time you park your car you should lift it so when you need suspension travel it won't be compromised. I am sure some simple spring rate equations were done and as an engineer I would have no question keeping it closed will do any harm.

Steel "going ductile" has nothing to do with this either. You could plastically deform the spring, but as the spring has hard limits, that would be near impossible. High cycle Fatigue failure from repeated use is the most likely, and Spyderco could (won't though) tell you that statistically.

I bet you'll never find the edge of that spring's fatigue envelope. :p

Back