Available gladius

I don’t care if it’s tactical or traditional but in your opinion who makes the best available gladius. And why do you think it’s the best?

Not looking for a SLO or decorative only gladius.

Let me gain from your knowledge.

I think it’s Albion and I don’t think it’s close. They offer several different models and are the closest to the originals that I am aware of. Admittedly I’m biased since I find the concept of a tactical gladius to be an absurdity.

Busse makes some really nice versions. They have a standard Gladius and the FMV14. Their other company SYKCO made the OMG-15, which I think it one of the best versions out there.

Busse makes some really nice versions. They have a standard Gladius and the FMV14. Their other company SYKCO made the OMG-15, which I think it one of the best versions out there.
Couple of things.....I want more length (doesn't everybody) and the Busse is awesome, and I love them, but I would not consider them available except randomly during a drop or at inflated aftermarket prices.

A
Couple of things.....I want more length (doesn't everybody) and the Busse is awesome, and I love them, but I would not consider them available except randomly during a drop or at inflated aftermarket prices.
A long gladius, while they occurred in varying lengths depending on the sword smith, would properly be a spatha, which was slightly similar to a Migration Era Germanic sword.

Have you checked out Sword Buyers Guide?

Zieg

A

A long gladius, while they occurred in varying lengths depending on the sword smith, would properly be a spatha, which was slightly similar to a Migration Era Germanic sword.

Have you checked out Sword Buyers Guide?

Zieg
I was under the impression that traditional gladius blades were 18-22 inches in length and spatha were longer than 22 inches (Generally speaking.)

I was under the impression that traditional gladius blades were 18-22 inches in length and spatha were longer than 22 inches (Generally speaking.)
I think you're right about this. If only we could look it up somewhere! 😉

Zieg

Last edited:
The RMJ ones are pretty neat. I wouldn’t want to get poked with one. I believe more coming out this year or next.

Worked for the Romans ! :cool:
Of course, and as a weapon of ancient warfare it in conjunction with the pilum, the scutum and some pretty impressive engineering skills conquered the known world. Besides that when done properly they are a beautiful bit of weaponry. That said, the modern version has the dual advantage of not only being completely useless or nearly so as a weapon of modern warfare, but being plug ugly as well.

Of course, and as a weapon of ancient warfare it in conjunction with the pilum, the scutum and some pretty impressive engineering skills conquered the known world. Besides that when done properly they are a beautiful bit of weaponry. That said, the modern version has the dual advantage of not only being completely useless or nearly so as a weapon of modern warfare, but being plug ugly as well.
Yes ! And mostly, IIRC , the Romans fought in well disciplined and organized line formations , shield walls etc . This allowed the gladius to work to best advantage .

Still , it would not be worthless at close quarters, in skilled hands . Not against accurate ranged weapons , but no hand blade ever was . 🤷‍♂️

I don't follow traditional gladius as much, but I do own a Kris Cutlery and it seems to be of decent quality. Seems like they are no longer around. I always liked the look of John Gage's gladius, but I've never had a chance to see one in person.

I don't follow traditional gladius as much, but I do own a Kris Cutlery and it seems to be of decent quality. Seems like they are no longer around. I always liked the look of John Gage's gladius, but I've never had a chance to see one in person.
I’d love to get a gage custom but time and availability always have been a problem.

I discovered that Kris cutlery disappeared just recently myself. That's kind of a shame my second sword came from them many years ago now. They used to be my go to answer when someone asked about a decent quality budget sword.

Back