Yesterday I watched Avatar in 3D. I'm in a loss of words, I'm totally blown away. What an incredible ride!
I wasn't expecting 3D-technology to be so far advanced. The images are sharp an so deep, it's literally awesome. I think Cameron raised the bar for the next 5, maybe 10 years. (think about Terminator 2, which still looks like new)

I misjudged the movie after watching the trailer in 2D. Don't watch the trailer and forget the screenshots. Just watch it in 3D, you won't regret it, guaranteed. If that's what movies will look like in the future, I think the industry just saved itself. (also, I'll have a new "hobby")

Enjoy! :cool: :thumbup:

Saw it twice already. I was afraid the 3D would be gimmicky and the CG would be painfully obvious throughout. I've never seen CG look so real. And the 3D gave the whole thing a depth I've never seen in a movie, even this new breed of 3D movies. Amazing. I've never seen anything like it. And I say that after watching anime and the progression from 2D cell animation to 3D computer animation over the course of 20 years in both American & Japanese animation. Just amazing.

If Zoe Saldana doesn't get at least some kind of nomination (Oscars, Golden Globe, SAG) there is no justice. She makes Neytiri every bit a real as Andy Sirkis did with Golem. It's not just the 3D CGI that makes this a good movie.

Frank

Saw this last night and it was the most immersive and amazing cinema experience of my life. But I went with no real expectations - I suggest you do the same.

I saw the movie opening night in Imax 3-D. I'd say it was definitely the best and most amazing movie I've ever seen. The animation was flawless considering that the entire planet came off a computer not to mention just about every aspect that wasn't human.

What really got me as above and beyond the amazing picture was the stories in the movie, I've read people saying that it's the same old song and dance in a new body, which may or may not be true, but just everything together was truly spectacular.

I think what really made me fall in love was the connection the natives had with the planet and everyhing else and the respect, something that has long since been lost to us.

I'm still skeptical about the 3d, as I've been less than pleased in the past. Heard nothing but good about it, though.

Not sure if I'm gonna plop down the dough for it yet, I'm usually a bigger fan of a deeper, or at least interesting storyline. And this one.... well I could watch Disney's Pocohantas and get the same story. But I hear it's just such an experience in the theater that it makes up for any lack of thought provoking plot.

hmmm, wonder when this 3-D spectacle would come out in DVD?
this sounds like a must-have for the home theatre.

That Avatar movie looks terrible, I wouldn't go see it 3D or not.

i saw it opening weekend. it was good. the story line was like dances with wolves meet aliens. if you combined those two story lines you get avatar. if you are deciding if the IMAX 3D is worth it. it is. like the above posts say the CG was amazing, out of this world in fact.

That Avatar movie looks terrible, I wouldn't go see it 3D or not.

It is not all that bad. The production values are very high, the story held together and ran along well enough to make the 2:40 viewing feel more like just an hour. The lead character in particular was well developed; and the supporting characters, with the exception of the colonel, were credible. Unfortunately, the latter becomes little more then a cartoonish characature about a third of the way into the film.

The voice and message is decidedly left leaning; perhaps way more then is justified by the story. What they paint as a horrible and evil corporation seems very benign to me. On the other hand, for a native population, so in commune nature, they certainly seen well armed and martially disposed. About the only evidence of their industry that we can see are in the form of weapons.

The story is an old familiar tune. But, it is told well, even if we see it from a very biased perspective. So ignore the spin and enjoy the film; we all know where this story ends, whether the movie chooses to go there, or not.

n2s

I thought the movie was quite good. I saw in reg because my friends saw it in 3d (With bad seats, off to the side) and said that the reg was better. Unless your right in center 3d isnt the best way.

The story was good a little fern gully spl? and dances with wolves

Really, the story itself is not amazing; the characters are not brilliantly done either. But they are both good enough, because they are the vehicle that the visuals ride on. And the visuals are mind blowing (the score is awesome as well - gotta love James Horner). The end result is a great ride that will leave you disappointed to land back in reality.

If you go to the movie to be a film snob and pick it apart you are probably a tool and are wasting your money.

Don't take the story too seriously. I don't think it's a metaphor for american history. It's a very simple fairytale with a clear line between good and evil. Those aliens are not like indiginous people, but like what we'd like them to be.
It's all about experiencing a fantastic new world with it's stunning amount of little details. Maybe the only metaphor is the avatar-technology (being inside a new body). The viewer gets a similar experience with his 3d-glasses.

The voice and message is decidedly left leaning......

That's reason enough for me to lose what little interest I had in seeing it. I shudder to think what Hollywood liberals will do to "Atlas Shrugged", as Ayn Rand's philosophies run contrary to everything they believe in.

It is not all that bad. The production values are very high, the story held together and ran along well enough to make the 2:40 viewing feel more like just an hour. The lead character in particular was well developed; and the supporting characters, with the exception of the colonel, were credible. Unfortunately, the latter becomes little more then a cartoonish characature about a third of the way into the film.

The voice and message is decidedly left leaning; perhaps way more then is justified by the story. What they paint as a horrible and evil corporation seems very benign to me. On the other hand, for a native population, so in commune nature, they certainly seen well armed and martially disposed. About the only evidence of their industry that we can see are in the form of weapons.

The story is an old familiar tune. But, it is told well, even if we see it from a very biased perspective. So ignore the spin and enjoy the film; we all know where this story ends, whether the movie chooses to go there, or not.

n2s

everything I learned about the North American Indians was they were as well armed as they could be and very martially disposed while being in commune with nature. Apache anyone?

The dalak's communed with the jungle and adorned their huts with human heads. (comissioned british headhunters during wwII, great stories about that)

I enjoyed the movie, was not expecting the best acted and scripted movie of the year, just one of the coolest!

I hope I get to see this in Imax before its over...broke after spending 2 months in the US and not working much since October when my hours got cut big time.

It looks pretty awesome.

It looked good, but when you remove the fanboy excitement, the actual substance was crap. It was too long with too much filler. And, yes, it has been done before:

original.jpg

Back